Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Turbo Exhaust Recommendtions...

Jesus

Not posted on here in quite some time, but I still have the tubby...

For those that didn't know, the current exhaust set up is as follows:

Aussie downpipe

HKS Super Drager with original mild steel centre section replaced with Hayward & Scott stainless section.

Essentially, the car was MOT'd and they'd identified the backbox has rusted through and the downpipe has a crack in it.

I would like recommendations on both downpipe (still tempted with Aussie, but disappointed this one cracked) and also on cat back system.

Ideally I'd still like the dual exit, but doesn't need to be too lairy.

Was thinking of getting Hayward & Scott to fabricate one for me TVR style with the slash cut tip to follow the profile of the rear bumper.

Thoughts please.

Thanks.

I had a H&S .. but I've heard they have taken a bit of a dive in quality. But that is not personal experiance.

BTW, how are you fella? Long time and all that!

One of my favorite cars on TOC!

Do Gruppe M do an MR2 system? They are a japanese firm and do some rather nice, light, titanium exhausts for M3s, 360s, etc. Not that cheap, but you get what you pay for!

I have always liked the Nurspec on MR2 Turbos, but its not twin exit and probably not in keeping with the rest of your car.

Gruppe M didn't when I had one, but who knows now.

Their intake for the S2000 was over £1000 I think.

I had a H&S .. but I've heard they have taken a bit of a dive in quality. But that is not personal experiance.

BTW, how are you fella? Long time and all that!

Thanks Ben.

Been keeping well. Just got back from a three week trip to the US... business though.

My brother-in-law took it for an MOT while I was away, hence needing a new exhaust... but I have had that one for a while. Front btake pads were the only other thing, which I've ordered... but that's it! Not bad for a 15 year old car. Still looking after it regardless of expense.

Hope you're keeping well. It has been too long. Any more plans for Australia?

One of my favorite cars on TOC!

Do Gruppe M do an MR2 system? They are a japanese firm and do some rather nice, light, titanium exhausts for M3s, 360s, etc. Not that cheap, but you get what you pay for!

I have always liked the Nurspec on MR2 Turbos, but its not twin exit and probably not in keeping with the rest of your car.

Thanks Charlie. The car's still in great condition. Can't bring myself to getting rid of it. Still so much fun and very, very quick. Nearly bought a 2007 Audi RS4 Avant (I know, I know...) recently, but recent relationship... er... issues... have made me hold fire!

I'll take a look into Gruppe M.

Any other thoughts?

I do like the thought of the Nurspec, but would rather twin exit.

Not sure whether to get a Super Drager again if I can find one.

Thoughts on the downpipe?

Spoke to Fensport earlier and they told me Aussie have stopped making them... He didn't know what to suggest instead. He did say I could get it welded as it's only mild steel... didn't fancy it though.

Thanks for your input. :)

I think the Aussies were all cracking. I just powerdrilled my std cat pipe, maybe buy a spare and attack it?

Oz is on the cards, out there at Xmas to get married, and then get the (then) wife a visa.

I'm now rocking about in Charlies old truck.

17062009253.jpg

oi oi...

Good to hear from ya again Kev. I've ended up buying another Tubby for the summer and it has a Fujitsubu Legalis R (sp) and i love it... quiet on idle and nice burble as your driving around 1300 rpm and when your foot is down it has a nice sublte sound.

Not too loud but then i still have the standard cat on it. Am contemplating a decat which will obviously change matters.

Some pics of it here...

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r307/fi...urbo/?start=all

Love the car Ben. Didn't know Charlie even had that.

Good luck with the wedding. Thought you'd have been there by now... but then, time is absolutely flying.

I think I still have my old cat anyway, so I could drill it through I guess.

Fizz... great to hear from you mate!

Glad to hear you've got yourself another tubby. I was heartbroken when the blue one went! The new one looks very nice.

Thanks for the recommendation on the exhaust. I really am stuck.

What do people think to the Mongoose system?

Im still aching over the blue one but its its good hands.

Mongoose is quite loud with decat... i can confirm this from a couple i have seen in person and also driven one as well.

I also always liked the HKS Hyper systems, mild steal so they sound waaaaay smoother and nicer, I never had any rot issues on mine on my supra (and it sounded absolutely fantastic.. not mega loud either), However in MR2 land, like the NUR spec it is single Exit. FIzz's old car now has one AFAIK.

Mongoose aren't very nicely made (From looking at the ones on various supras) They are also sold as "blueflame" on eBay.

Looks like I am going to need to look for a Rev 3 N/A system soon as the other halfs has started to fail...

Cheap used downpipe Maybe if it has survived so far without cracking

I also always liked the HKS Hyper systems, mild steal so they sound waaaaay smoother and nicer, I never had any rot issues on mine on my supra (and it sounded absolutely fantastic.. not mega loud either), However in MR2 land, like the NUR spec it is single Exit. FIzz's old car now has one AFAIK.

Mongoose aren't very nicely made (From looking at the ones on various supras) They are also sold as "blueflame" on Ebay.

Looks like I am going to need to look for a Rev 3 N/A system soon as the other halfs has started to fail...

Cheap used downpipe Maybe if it has survived so far without cracking

Thanks Charlie. I'll end up bidding on the eBay downpipe too. See what it goes for. Have sent a question to confirm what revision engine it would suit... i.e. number of bolts.

I may be tempted to go for the NUR spec. There don't actually seem to be that many options for the MR2.

I love my Super Drager. It's pretty quiet until you open it up. Again, being mild steel it sounds smooth.

Hi Kevin

Wow it's been awhile mate since you have been on here :)

Looks like you have picked out 2 of the most talked about exhaust up grades. The berk Tech exhaust seems to be very popular on the mr2 forums. One because of the good pricing and for looking very similar to the hks super dragger.

Also the berk tech down pipe again after speaking to chris gts claims that it's a lot better than you normal down pipe. The flex section is ment to take so much strain off of the down pipe so less likely to crack ;)

Hey you can only try my friend and see what happens. But overall i have heard may good words about the berk tech exhaust systems :thumbsup:

A few video clips

jerry!!

Hi Jerry,

Good to talk to you again, mate. It has been a long time.

Thanks for your input into the exhausts.

I'm not sure whether to get the Aussie downpipe welded or whether to replace it with the Berk Tech downpipe. Not sure what the flex section does to the gas flow.

A guy has offered me his second hand Departure II exhaust for £125. The centre section needs sorting though. Again, mild steel like my Super Drager, so susceptible to rust. Not sure if the cans look too big for my car.

I have ordered the Berk Technology downpipe and exhaust.

Just got to wait for t to turn up now. Have been taking apart the HKS and Aussie today. It all looks like it can be easily repaired, so will probably do that, paint it up and keep it as spare or put it back on if I don't like the Berk Technology one.

Thanks for all your help and input.

;)

Exhaust turned up today.

Pictures attached...

post-11062-1246307513_thumb.jpg

post-11062-1246307533_thumb.jpg

post-11062-1246307951_thumb.jpg

im liking that a lot mate... its going to look sweet as a nut on your car!

Cheers Fizz. Hopefully it will sound good too. Have listened to plenty of sound clips and it sounds good... but so did the Aussie downpipe and HKS Super Drager combo...

Remember it'll take a few weeks to soot up. They usually sound quite raspy to begin with, but mellow out after a while.

Yeah, thanks mate. I was going to allow about 400 miles or so.

OK, fitted it tonight.

Getting the old one off was hardest.

Turns out the HKS Super Drager isn't in bad condition and can be repaired easily, so I'm going to do that and get the centre repainted. The centre section is stainless already anyway, which is mint. The Aussie downpipe has a crack around a couple of welds, but again they're easily repairable so I'm going to do that and either have it as a spare or put it back on the car if I prefer the old one to the Berk Technology one.

The Berk Technology one fitted very well.

The biggest problem I had was the custom 60mm stainless intercooler pipes I had made up for my HKS intercooler and relocated BOV. Will post photos at some point. I had the pipes custom fit when I had the Aussie downpipe on. The lamda sensor on the Berk Technology downpipe is in a different position, which required some minor modification to the intercooler pipes. Not the challenges you need as light is running out in the evening!!!

Anyway, the exhaust system is on and it looks and sounds lovely. The tips are a little smaller than the Super Drager, but it looks right.

I have attached a photo of under the car and will try and take more photos this weekend.

Took it out for a run and it goes really well. I can hear that I've got a small boost leak though, so have to go over all the intake system again which I took off to fit the exhaust. I did overtighten a couple of the hoseclips to the point they popped, so I need to replace them.

post-11062-1246661713_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Kevin

I see that you have brought your new exhaust. Looking good buddy

I will have to pop around and have a look and catch up ;)

All the best

jerry!!