Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Noise On 2006 Celica Vvtli

misterlamott

In Feb 2008 I test drove a 2006 Celica VVTLi and noticed a grinding noise coming from the wheels (...imagine a scouring pad on a steel saucepan and you're just about there). It was very noticeable at low speeds when the engine wasn't being reved. I mentioned this to the dealer and the response was that it was just because the car hadn't been driven for a while and some rust/debris had built up on the wheels. I didn't buy this car as it was generally overpriced but...

In March, I test drove a different 2006 Celica VVTLi and =ditto= noticed the same grinding noise coming from the wheels. I mentioned this to the dealer and got the same respone - the car hadn't been driven for a while and after a few miles the noise should go. As this was the 2nd Celica with exactly the same issue it didn't put me off and I bought the car.

Well, roll forward to June (and 800 miles later!) and the noise is still there - albeit not quite as bad as it was previously but still very noticeable. I've noticed also it's worse when the car goes around corners. My feeling is that for a 2006 vehicle this noise can't be normal! :unsure:

Anyone propose as to what might be going on?!

Thanks in advance....

In Feb 2008 I test drove a 2006 Celica VVTLi and noticed a grinding noise coming from the wheels (...imagine a scouring pad on a steel saucepan and you're just about there). It was very noticeable at low speeds when the engine wasn't being reved. I mentioned this to the dealer and the response was that it was just because the car hadn't been driven for a while and some rust/debris had built up on the wheels. I didn't buy this car as it was generally overpriced but...

In March, I test drove a different 2006 Celica VVTLi and =ditto= noticed the same grinding noise coming from the wheels. I mentioned this to the dealer and got the same respone - the car hadn't been driven for a while and after a few miles the noise should go. As this was the 2nd Celica with exactly the same issue it didn't put me off and I bought the car.

Well, roll forward to June (and 800 miles later!) and the noise is still there - albeit not quite as bad as it was previously but still very noticeable. I've noticed also it's worse when the car goes around corners. My feeling is that for a 2006 vehicle this noise can't be normal! :unsure:

Thanks in advance....

rite ok the dealer lied ask any mechanic and they will tell you the prob.... the problem is that someone someware has fitted or messed with the pads and discs anti squeel shimms. you need to get them looked at and replaced and it should solve your problem!

Cheers for your response.

I'm going to get back to the dealer this morning and see what they can do for me. So far the service that I have received from them has been excellent. Will post back with the results....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance....

rite ok the dealer lied ask any mechanic and they will tell you the prob.... the problem is that someone someware has fitted or messed with the pads and discs anti squeel shimms. you need to get them looked at and replaced and it should solve your problem!

Hi,

I have this same problem on my 140, its at the back and is driving me mad.

We had the rear brakes replaced, both discs and pads and it is still there, can you please explain what you mean by the "anti-squeel shims" as i'm not sure what that is!

thanks

Michael.

they basicaly stop squaling and noise from brakes but thats all i know reali my mechanic said that its a comon problem to do with them

they basicaly stop squaling and noise from brakes but thats all i know reali my mechanic said that its a comon problem to do with them

It's just rust on the discs. I bet it's worse when the car has stood for a couple of days with the handbrake on and worse when wet and better when dry. Anti squeal shims are to stop noise on braking that is a loud shriek not a rubbing noise. It's common on many disc brake cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links