Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

General Info On 1999 Corolla Sr Please(engine Bhp Etc)

BM08

Hi there, never owned a Toyota in my life(been driving 8 years) so you could say im abit of a noob :lol:

Just want to know the following

1. whats the bhp for the 1.6 in a uk v plate corolla sr?

2. Is 106k on the clock a problem, or are they good for it like honda's, bmw's etc?

3. what do they handle like? the particular one im looking at has been lowered on 17's, so coupled with its small size would i be within my rights to say it should handle decently?

4. lastly anything in particular i should look for on this car?

Thanks alot guys :D

Plenty of people know about Corollas. Just maybe not your specific model... ;)

There's a few SR owners on here, I'm sure they'll be along eventually to answer your question..

But as far as I know..

The 1.6 Produce 109BHP.

They're bomb proof because nearly every Toyota is, 106k is nothing!

They can handle very well, depending on what you can afford to do to 'em. :P I believe most people use 15/16's on them though rather than 17's.

Look out for? No idea! Aint got one :P

HAHAH sorry, im just used to this other forum i use(passionford) you literally get an answer in about 5-10 mins depending on the nature of the question.

I could have asked there but id probably get shot down as its a ford forum mainly :lol:

Thanks for the reply though, 109bhp isnt bad for a 1.6 B) just after something slightly newer than the previous cars ive had, but still cheap, and i thought this fitted the bill.

Yea, the SR's and G6R's are quite nippy little buggers, will get you up to 120+ without too much hassle. On a track ofcourse. ;)

They're good little run arounds and as said before, bomb proof. Not alot goes wrong..

Good stuff B)

Whats a G6R? in the advert its got "G6R clocks" whatever that means? the dash clocks has orange numbers and needle in the picture, if that helps.

And also need to know what does the SR mean? im guessing extra body bits? or interior parts, probably nothing performance wise...........

Sorry for all the questions :lol:

Hello mate the 4a-fe engine should produce around 110 bhp, the engines are very reliable i have never seen one blown up.They do handle very well if your prepared to spend a bit of money.I fitted ksport coilovers that cost about £680 ,whiteline anti-roll bars that cost about £250 ,cuzco front subframe brace that costs about £140 and a trd front upper strut brace again about £140. But it's well worth the money my car handles so well and it very neutral not to much over or under steer. The g6r model had the same chassis,suspension & engine as the SR but the extras were the red dials,red seat belts,boot spoiler,6 speed gearbox,side skirts and a lower front bumper lip.The later SR's with the face lift came with a 6 speed gearbox aswell. I sorry but i dont know what the SR stands for.You can also convert your vehicle with the 1.6 20 valve 4a-ge black top engine that comes out of the corolla levin (import only) which has 165bhp as stand the engine also features individual throttle bodies as standard,engine engine practically bolts straight in you just have to re-arrange some of the wires in the main relay box.

Hi there, never owned a Toyota in my life(been driving 8 years) so you could say im abit of a noob :lol:

2. Is 106k on the clock a problem, or are they good for it like honda's, bmw's etc?

3. what do they handle like? the particular one im looking at has been lowered on 17's, so coupled with its small size would i be within my rights to say it should handle decently?

Hello,

I have a same shape, but 1.3 engine. Mine is a lower spec GS too. Obviously you're interested in the 1.6, but there is much in common between them. As for a couple of points to look at:

The bodywork is generally fine, there are loads of these shape cars on the road and I've yet to see a rustbucket. However, that does not mean that anything can be assumed; Have a good look at the lip in the rear wheelarches, where it joins the rear end of the sills- mine have shown some bubbling paint. Easy to deal with if caught early.

Check when the cambelt was last changed. They are good for 6 years/ 54k, and are not expensive/difficult to change, but a good bargaining tool if one is due.

Make sure the coolant bottle is full of red liquid- it is the recommended coolant. It is not expensive. If possible, see if it is transparent. (make sure engine is cold if you remove radiator cap!)

Check the aircon blows cold.

Check the rubber headlight surrounds- they seem to have a habit of perishing in the middle- get the bonnet up and it will be obvious if there's a problem.

--------

In my experience with my 1.3, a six-speed box would be desirable. I do not know if the 1.6 is geared the same, but mine revs more highly than I'd like at 70 mph (over 3500 rpm). The cabin is well insulated and the noise is not intrusive, I just think a six speed would be a better bet. Well worth exploring the option, although they are much less common.

The 'book' mpg is pretty dire- mine is listed at 35mpg, but I actually get over 45.

Finally, I would add that while you might be interested in a particular car, remember that there are LOADS of these on the roads, so you can afford to be extremely choosy, especially when many have had easy lives as they were never a common company car or minicab, and often owned by more senior members of society. A look on Autotrader will turn up lots with low mileage(mine had 54k when I bought it last year, and that is a '97 car), and to that end do not pay too much for a car with lots more miles which may have had a much harder life, even if it does have aftermarket wheels you like.

All in all, I have been well pleased with mine, it has been reliable, it is easy to do simple jobs like change oil, spark plugs coolant etc and that in itself makes it a satisfying car to own. There are plenty of worse options about!

The 'car by car' breakdown at www.honestjohn.co.uk is quite informative- very little to report!

if you would like to buy a 6 speed gearbox you can get them from a company called fensport for about £500

I own a 2001 facelift Sr,and have done for nearly 4 years.

1. 109bhp is the factory rated output for the engine fitted to the 1.6 SR model.

2. 106k is no dramas at all. Used to work for Toyota and saw quite a few with nearer 200k on the clocks and they were pretty good considering, just service them well.

3. They handle pretty good. My 2001 model has multilink rear suspension as standard, sure yours will too. also SR's have factory fitted TTE front strut brace fitted under the bonnet that helps the front end feel etc. As with most cars,age wears components, so a shock and spring upgrade is worth it if you like your driving more spirited. as standard running on 16" alloys,mine felt pretty good, decent feel on turn in for a modern car.

4. check for service history. they have cam chains rather than belts, so that worry is taken care of. Check for oil consumption, some use a bit. Rust not an issue really unless bodged repairs are evident. Interior is very hard wearing. Make sure that you run it with correct Toyota coolant,much better for the car.

Hope this all helps.

I love my SR. The best car I have ever bought.

Hello

I own a 2001 facelift SR, have to say they are a good car I'm normally a VW man and still am, The SR corolla is well kitted out as standard, Mine was a Northern Ireland import, Has the 6 speed box. 6 cd chager standard, A/C, Sunroof, the lot. They do handle very well on the road without doing anymore to it but i do want to upgrade the suspension as some boys here have done. I'm told the vvti engine is a good engine even tough there's no timming belt they have a hydraulic tensioner which very rarely go and you will hear a clinking sound or a rattle some i was told, They do use a bit of oil mine did until i upgraded the oil. I service it at least every 5k miles wouldn't let it past that, Haynes manual recommends that also.

Have had no bother with mine upgraded the struts to bilistein made a big difference, and they are a nippy wee car!

Hello mate the 4a-fe engine should produce around 110 bhp, the engines are very reliable i have never seen one blown up.They do handle very well if your prepared to spend a bit of money.I fitted ksport coilovers that cost about £680 ,whiteline anti-roll bars that cost about £250 ,cuzco front subframe brace that costs about £140 and a trd front upper strut brace again about £140. But it's well worth the money my car handles so well and it very neutral not to much over or under steer. The g6r model had the same chassis,suspension & engine as the SR but the extras were the red dials,red seat belts,boot spoiler,6 speed gearbox,side skirts and a lower front bumper lip.The later SR's with the face lift came with a 6 speed gearbox aswell. I sorry but i dont know what the SR stands for.You can also convert your vehicle with the 1.6 20 valve 4a-ge black top engine that comes out of the corolla levin (import only) which has 165bhp as stand the engine also features individual throttle bodies as standard,engine engine practically bolts straight in you just have to re-arrange some of the wires in the main relay box.

Hi

Just wondering where ya got the whiteline anti-roll bars from i'm looking to upgrade me suspension too, if ya know any good websites also be great.

Cheers

Hi

Just wondering where ya got the whiteline anti-roll bars from i'm looking to upgrade me suspension too, if ya know any good websites also be great.

Cheers

I got my Whiteline rear antiroll bar from Fensport

You could also try Co-ordSport - give them a phone - really good people to deal with

Hi

Cheers

You could also try Co-ordSport - give them a phone - really good people to deal with

Just found fensport alot of stuff on it

Cheers for that

Hi

Cheers

Just found fensport alot of stuff on it

Cheers for that

Can ya get a lower strut for the corolla e11.

Yes mate you can it's a cradle that supports the front subframe it's made by a company called cuzco you can order it from the demon tweaks cataloge,you can also get braces that support your front inner wings from a company on eBay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links