Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ride Height

GAZ_THESNIPER

hey people,

i have an aygo and i have fitted 15/195/45 alloys on it,

when i have 4 people in the car the rear wheels catch on the wheel arch,

is there any way of raising the height or stiffening the ride to stop this happening?

Hmmm not sure. I saw a video on YouTube of the Aygo's back end sinking with four people in it :lol:

don't take passengers... and don't take them if they are well fed :thumbsup:

Agree with the above comment. I have read somewhere on here that the 5 Door cars are worse. The other option is look for spring assistors- have seen some in Halfrauds.

Cheaper bought online from Towsure. originally designed for when towing caravans etc but will also stop spring compressing too much on bumpy roads or with the 3 thin american friends :D

I have read somewhere on here that the 5 Door cars are worse.

AFAIK this only goes for the sister-cars: the C1 and 107 have a double bit of

sheet metal at the rear arches, causing them to be about 10mm further inward

than they atre on a 3dr C1 or 107. The Aygo doesn't seem to suffer this fate...

i got 5 people in it once but decided to kick 1 person out :D

will have a look on towsure

would changing the shock absorbers, springs etc have any effect?

The Aygo is not designed or built to carry 5 people.........................There are only 4 seat belts fitted!

Carrying five people will invalidate your insurance cover and could land you in very deep water if stopped by the police :(

I have had 5 ppl in my Aygo before, I didnt like doing it tbh, but it was either that or let my mate walk home...

I also managed to fit my mate in the boot haha (Not while driving obvs) looked pretty funny ill upload a pic if i get time :P

I have had 5 ppl in my Aygo before, I didnt like doing it tbh, but it was either that or let my mate walk home...

I also managed to fit my mate in the boot haha (Not while driving obvs) looked pretty funny ill upload a pic if i get time :P

If your worried about the ride height with more weight in the car you can get a set of spring assistors fitted. These are normally used for cars towing a caravan to stop the back end sagging. they are really easy to fit and will also improve the cornering ability on the car.

The Aygo is not designed or built to carry 5 people.........................There are only 4 seat belts fitted!

Carrying five people will invalidate your insurance cover and could land you in very deep water if stopped by the police

With the correct number of people on board ride height should not be a problem :thumbsup:

it grinds under acceleration and cornering when 4 people are in the car, and i didnt drive with 5 people in it as it was so low i though it would damage the tyres

Carrying five people will invalidate your insurance cover and could land you in very deep water if stopped by the police

With the correct number of people on board ride height should not be a problem :thumbsup:

It should not be but is unfortunately is on a bumpy road and average size adults. We had to swap mum for 6 year old on one journey so not to bottom out.

Spaghetti suspension due to cost cutting.

Regards

Andy

PS Red Yaris, you seem to always be able to reduce problems down to "nothing worth mentioning at all", so I have to ask do you work for the marketing department at Toyota? :D Your attempts to always say "it's fine, it's you" are probably rather falling on deaf ears I'm afraid for the people who have to drive their Aygo's day in and day out. ;)

PS Red Yaris, you seem to always be able to reduce problems down to "nothing worth mentioning at all", so I have to ask do you work for the marketing department at Toyota? :D Your attempts to always say "it's fine, it's you" are probably rather falling on deaf ears I'm afraid for the people who have to drive their Aygo's day in and day out. ;)

To answer that, I am experienced in life enough not to make "a drama out of a crisis"

I do not work for the Marketing Department at Toyota........They could not afford my salary :lol:

My advice does not always fall on deaf ears.................I am often thanked for my words of advice to Toyota owners ;)

You may not realise it but as well as owning my Yaris.............I also have an opportunity to drive my sons Aygo (2008 Slate Blue) so am able to talk from the point of view of an Aygo driver.

Often on these forums the "problems" voiced by some are not really serious problems but concerns of inexperienced owners.

I will always try to offer a positive attitude to try to help negate or solve any problem............If this is seen as reducing the problem and putting an owners mind at rest, then surely I have served some useful purpose in replying :thumbsup:

Do you not agree?

To answer that, I am experienced in life enough not to make "a drama out of a crisis"

I do not work for the Marketing Department at Toyota........They could not afford my salary :lol:

My advice does not always fall on deaf ears.................I am often thanked for my words of advice to Toyota owners ;)

You may not realise it but as well as owning my Yaris.............I also have an opportunity to drive my sons Aygo (2008 Slate Blue) so am able to talk from the point of view of an Aygo driver.

Often on these forums the "problems" voiced by some are not really serious problems but concerns of inexperienced owners.

I will always try to offer a positive attitude to try to help negate or solve any problem............If this is seen as reducing the problem and putting an owners mind at rest, then surely I have served some useful purpose in replying :thumbsup:

Do you not agree?

Yes I agree, good summary in general and I did rather have my tongue in cheek to some extent...

however ( I bet you knew that was coming :D )

you said "Often on these forums the "problems" voiced by some are not really serious problems but concerns of inexperienced owners."

I'm not sure how a car bottoming out with 4 people on board can be put down to inexperienced owners. I've driven 16 000 miles in my Aygo, 100 000 miles in a Yaris and about 300 000 miles in other cars and I can tell you this is down to crap cost cutting suspension and not new drivers doing 96mph over speed bumps because they know no different.

With a Yaris the problems are more likely due to the driver, with the Aygo it is more likely to do with the car. Understand that and you will be a better judge of problems. Toyota's rock solid reliability went out the window with the Aygo I am afraid.

Regards

Andy

Do you not agree?

Yes I agree, good summary in general and I did rather have my tongue in cheek to some extent...

however ( I bet you knew that was coming :D )

you said "Often on these forums the "problems" voiced by some are not really serious problems but concerns of inexperienced owners."

I'm not sure how a car bottoming out with 4 people on board can be put down to inexperienced owners. I've driven 16 000 miles in my Aygo, 100 000 miles in a Yaris and about 300 000 miles in other cars and I can tell you this is down to crap cost cutting suspension and not new drivers doing 96mph over speed bumps because they know no different.

With a Yaris the problems are more likely due to the driver, with the Aygo it is more likely to do with the car. Understand that and you will be a better judge of problems. Toyota's rock solid reliability went out the window with the Aygo I am afraid.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

I can only speak from the personal experience of myself and that of my son who reports that his Aygo has never ever bottomed out with 4 on board.

Maybe he is one of the luckier Aygo owners. :) I notice the OP had fitted non standard wheels and tyres................(Maybe if he was more experienced he would not have done that without improving the suspension first

Surely if a standard Aygo bottoms out on the suspension with 4 on board then it should be reported to the dealer for rectification under warranty..................After all a 4 seater car should be capable of carrying 4 people!....................This of course would not apply if the owner had fitted non-standard wheels and tyres

It was comments on these forums that persuaded me to choose these alloys as many people said they were the best option nobody mentioned any rear tyre rubbing (from what ive read) so i didnt just choose to buy the alloys without thinking, im not that stupid :lol:

It was comments on these forums that persuaded me to choose these alloys as many people said they were the best option nobody mentioned any rear tyre rubbing (from what ive read) so i didnt just choose to buy the alloys without thinking, im not that stupid :lol:

The most common width for 15 inch alloys is 6.5 inches and the tyre usually offered 195 45 R15, but the Toyota 15" rims are 6 inches wide and they quote a 175 50 R15 tyre for these. However, this size of tyre is not very common and I don't know if it would fit on a 6.5 inch wide rim.

Andy,

I can only speak from the personal experience of myself and that of my son who reports that his Aygo has never ever bottomed out with 4 on board.

Maybe he is one of the luckier Aygo owners. :) I notice the OP had fitted non standard wheels and tyres................(Maybe if he was more experienced he would not have done that without improving the suspension first

Surely if a standard Aygo bottoms out on the suspension with 4 on board then it should be reported to the dealer for rectification under warranty..................After all a 4 seater car should be capable of carrying 4 people!....................This of course would not apply if the owner had fitted non-standard wheels and tyres

Maybe the poster and I are just too , er , stout :o :) Me definitely because mine bottomed out before I changed wheels. Less pies needed.

The non standard wheels he has fitted are actually slightly smaller in circumference than the standard ones so that should actually help, not make it worse. They might be be slightly heavier but I doubt that makes too much of a difference.

Talking of non-standard parts I wonder what the Toyota lowering springs do, make it worse or improve it? I'm sure someone has tried it and can tell.

Regards

Andy

............The non standard wheels he has fitted are actually slightly smaller in circumference than the standard ones so that should actually help, not make it worse. They might be be slightly heavier but I doubt that makes too much of a difference.

Depends on the width of the tyres and the offset of the alloy wheels as well.The circumference/diameter is not the only parameter that may cause rubbing of the tyres on elements within the wheel arches under load.

went for the spring assisters

they were quite difficult to install but they completely eliminated the problem

thanks for the help guys

went for the spring assisters

they were quite difficult to install but they completely eliminated the problem

thanks for the help guys

No problem, can you tell us if you notice any difference in the handling now that you have the spring assistors in?

One of the guys on the 107 forum thinks that they got better cornering ability after fitting them.

to be honest i havent really felt much difference at all in handling

it doesnt even feel that much firmer over bumps

• 7 months later...

Am awaiting delivery of some 15 * 6.5 OZ's from revolution247 and they reccomend offsets 37 on 195/45 tyres,

Rear tyre rubbing hopefully won't be an issue as I also have a set of stiffer dampers and apex springs on the way! :)