Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12 Amp Supply Needed

foxflyer

Hi. I am a new owner of a RAV4 XT-R 06 reg. Very pleased with it so far.

What I am looking for is a 12v 12Amp supply I can pick up inside the car to power a radio/transmitter. I could go diirect from the Battery but usure if i can get through the bulkhead. Are there any good supply point within the car which I can use. Your help would be appreciated.

Geoff

Hi...

I used to run 100 watt RF (radio Frequency) amplifiers (HF normally) in vehicle's years a go and they drew about 12 amps on full output. It was normally a requirement to connect the amplifiers heavy duty supply cable directly across the Battery terminals to take advantage of the alternator output (70 - 80 amps). I don't know what the fuse ratings are for circuits on your Rav4, but you would also have to take into account the diameter of the vehicle wiring and its load (current) capacity... you may fry the vehicle cables else!

One other thing... you may have to check with Toyota to see how immune your vehicle electronics are to high levels of close proximity RF (what frequency?). I used to find that I could 'disable' some vehicle's electronics if they were to close to me when I was transmitting!

DaveH (G4NWP)

Hi. I am a new owner of a RAV4 XT-R 06 reg. Very pleased with it so far.

What I am looking for is a 12v 12Amp supply I can pick up inside the car to power a radio/transmitter. I could go diirect from the battery but usure if i can get through the bulkhead. Are there any good supply point within the car which I can use. Your help would be appreciated.

Geoff

Hi,

The power socket in your arm rest and at the one on left hand rear corner (Boot area) are on the same circuit and rated at 15 amps. They are powered through accessories position on ignition key switch, there is a topic here on how to have this circuit powered permanent, if you like to have look. http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95836

The cigarette lighter is a separate circuit and also rated at 15 amps.

Hi,

The power socket in your arm rest and at the one on left hand rear corner (Boot area) are on the same circuit and rated at 15 amps. They are powered through accessories position on ignition key switch, there is a topic here on how to have this circuit powered permanent, if you like to have look. http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95836

The cigarette lighter is a separate circuit and also rated at 15 amps.

Thanks JHRC for that. I didnt know the rating of the socket, so thats great. I will take a feed of that..

Thanks also to Dave, I am aware of the RF problems which can occur, but its only a 2mtr / 70cms Icom with 3 output power levels.

I have had no problems in the past, running on medium output setting of 15W max but do not risk the High 50W.....By only using the 15W max output this reduces the current draw and hopefully will keep the wiring safe, cant afford an insurance claim hi hi.

p.s. This is a great forum and very usefull comments..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links