Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Airbox Filters

Ed_Tsport

hi, im looking to replace my airbox panel filter and thought while im at it i may aswell go for a performance filter and squeeze a little more power out of my t sport. Has anyone had any experience with performance panel filters and is there any filters you can recommend? im currently looking at the k&n one but am put off by the reports of oiled filters affecting sensors etc.

I have a Blitz panel filter in mine.

Can't say it gives any more performance, if any at all.

Dos stay clean for a while and only cost £15. ;)

can you get those for the t sport? and where from at that price? thanks

Got mine off e-bay last year.

I'm pretty sure the SR and T-Sport have the same airbox, so should fit ok. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

cheers, can anyone confirm that the sr and tsport have the same airbox, dont want to be wasting any money :D

Hi Ed, when i got mine, it said on the box that it was for model's 1.3 & 1.5

Must be the same airboxes then. ;)

Hey i have a typhoon iduction kit in my yaris t-sport it costs alot but really worth it.

• 1 month later...

Oiled air filters are are bad science, just go for less filtering.

so where does all the dirt go? Seriously this is an ok upgrade as long you do not live in a dusty area because extreme tests prove less filtering does damage to engines working on building sites (saved the diggers a lot in fuel!).

is it true that oiled filters such as k&n ones can affect the MAF sensor?

Whenever i have bought and fitted K&N filters to bikes and cars, they come already factory oiled.

You do get with it a small vial of filter oil for when the filter needs cleaning and re-oiling.

The oil acts as a magnet for all the dirt/dust particles which stick to it and stops the crud going through into your engine.

Over a period of time, the filter needs to be cleaned and re-oiled to keep it's air-flow at a maximum and for maximum protection for your engine.

Cleaning it is simple, just rinse it under a tap, brush it, ect and let it dry, then re-oil it (not too much) and put it back in place.

K&N usually quote cleaning it at every 50,000 miles but if you live or drive in very dusty conditions then obviously that time needs to be shortened.

As for them affecting the MAF sensor, i can't say definately that they do, i can say though that in all the K&N's i have fitted and used, i've never had a problem or issue with this.

Incidentally, i cleaned my MAF sensor last week, took 10mins.

Hope this helps. ;)

The oil acts as a magnet for all the dirt/dust particles which stick to it and stops the crud going through into your engine.
That is the rubbish science bit. There is no way a speedy dust/dirt particle can be diverted from its path through the large K&N filters holes by a bit of oil and the extreem tests proved it.

cheers guys, i tried to get a blitz one but im having trouble getting one...so k&N it is :) im sure i shouldnt have any issues, they must sell millions!!

That is the rubbish science bit. There is no way a speedy dust/dirt particle can be diverted from its path through the large K&N filters holes by a bit of oil and the extreem tests proved it.

Ok, so where's this test then? Is there a video you can post to show us how much you know about this?

I really don't understand your point on this? Are you saying that filters like k&n's are no good?

My blitz one is just a replacement for the standard but lasts longer, is this no good aswell?

I think the main issue here is that oiled filters were great on old cars where it didn't matter if the oil got sucked into the engine and you could wash and re-oil them to save the cost of a replacement filter - but on modern engines with sensors inside the air intake, they are likely to cause sensor malfunction and failure as the sensor gets coated with the oil residue.

They'll keep selling them as long as people keep buying them - and I used oiled filters myself in the 1970s but you wouldn't get me putting one anywhere near a car I owned today.

(And I speak from experience after having to fix maf sensors and o2 sensors on recent cars....)

The bottom line is that the more air and fuel you can get into a car engine, the more power it will produce (that's the basic science). Any air filter is a compromise between filtering out dirt to extend the life of the engine and letting in more air (and more dirt) to allow more combustion.

For the sake of an £8 air filter element from the local motor factors, I'd suggest that simply replacing the standard air filter every 12 months so that you always got the most through it and it never got too dirty was a far better bet than risking possible damage to engine and air sensors that an aftermarket oiled filter could cause.

By all means spend your money on an aftermarket air filter, if it makes you feel good. The car will sound noisier and therefore feel more powerful, but I'll bet it makes no more than 1 or 2 bhp difference at the most (if any...).

If it made a significant difference and didn't risk the engine longevity, then the manufacturers would do it themselves....

Alfie, just fitting a panel filter won't affect the noise at all, only an induction kit will do that.

Just checked my filter today whilst doing other checks and it's not oiled after all, just a replacement element that can be washed and re-used.

The K&N panel filters are oiled though.

mines ordered now so il let you know how it is. Im sure cleaning the sensor regularly should prevent any oil build up :) is there any guides to do this properly?

I agree replacing the standard air filter every 12 months is the way to go.

Ok, so where's this test then? Is there a video you can post to show us how much you know about this?
Not on the web read it in a newspaper and was mentioned in the web but can't find it (it was US observation a long time ago). Every engine manufacturer in world installs a filter and none install oiled ones (not even in super cars and people who make cars are not stupid). K&N can not prove the oil sucks dust particles from the path of travel into the oil... I mean how can it? it is impossible unless it is actually magic?... do you belive in magic?

Just like oil additives for fuel people continue to buy them becuase of placebo.

Did i say that everyone should go and install a K&N filter in their cars?....NO.

Did i say that they were any better or give anymore performance gains from standard?.....NO.

And why is it that whenever i have took out a K&N filter, placed it on a sheet of paper and tapped it, there's allways a huge pile of crap that falls of it?

And before you reply, yes any filter will do this but standard ones are then usually no good and can't be reused.

The oil does hold the dirt, do you think they would manufacture them if they harmed the engine? Can you imagine the claims costs?

And also did i say that the oil will hold every single particle of dirt?....NO, it is impossible but the K&N will hold more dirt and give better airflow which it's designed to do.

This is like anything, some people like them, some don't, some will allways use them, some won't.

I have allways used K&N filters, i have one in my Accord, every bike and other car's i've owned and never had a problem with oily MAF sensors ect, the problem could arise if people apply too much oil though that would be fault of the human and not the filter.

I remove mine every 10k and not the 50k that K&N suggest, clean it, lightly oil it and put it back, simple.

Oh and no i don't beleive in magic, the tooth fairy, santa clause, ghosts, religion, superstitions ect. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links