Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Replacement...

Jesus

OK... so upon taking the intercooler pipes off I could see that the turbo is starting slightly to leak a bit of oil. Nothing bad at all, but it means it's on it's way. The turbo has been running at peak of 1.3 bar settling at 1.2 bar anyway for some time now, so not unduly surprised. Still pulls like a train, but tempted to change the turbo.

I was going to replace it for a standard CT20b, so it's like for like. Didn't much see the point in that as I won't see any gains for my money and it will only end up failing again within 20,000 miles (the car has still only done about 67,000 miles).

Instead of the standard replacement, I have looked at the stage 2 CT20b from Fensport...

Completely rebuilt using genuine new parts as required, New steel shaft - 48mm Compressor, 360 degree thrust, a choice of uprated actuator .

*Guide:- Our top of the range CT20B, The choice for serious power, Ideal up to 1.5 bar boost, on cars with larger fuel injectors and forged pistons. 1 bar boost is available from 3,200 rpm, for power outputs up to 360bhp).

The spool time will be slightly slower, and therefore a little more lag (1 bar boost at 3200rpm instead of around 3000rpm), but otherwise a good improvement without the need for bottom end work, new manifold, external wastegate and other mods associated with fitting generic turbos.

I'm aware that the Garrett GT28 has an internal wastegate, but still not sure if I need to go as far as this. I'm happy to get my car up to 350bhp and no more as a daily driver.

Will list current mods if required... or just visit my garage.

The stage 2 CT20b is an exchange unit. They send away the CT20b and have it rebuilt to spec. It then gets sent to me as a direct replacement for mine, which I send on to them.

I don't want to go mad and have the bottom end rebuilt, so thinking this could be an ideal upgrade route.

Spoke to the guys at Fensport, and they reckon with my current mods I'd notice a significant difference over the standard CT20b. In parts alone it will cost me about £1000.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

:)

I'm not sure I'd bother with a tweaked stock one. I'd be looking at a GT35 roller bearing with blah blah blah.

You get the idea. I'd always prefer a proper setup, than a compromise which I feel the Hybrids are.

I know mate, but I can't justify doing bottom end work, etc. etc... as much as I'd love to.

This will be £1000 plus my time... that's it. I'm going to come nowhere near that with a GT35!

I would have love to have bought Earl's car, but never got round to it.

The hybrids are definitely a compromise, but better than replacing it with the stock item, which is what my realistic alternative was.

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/prod296.htm

One of our most popular units second to the little Gt25's these units have a T3 style base flange and the big .70 compressor cover with 4" inlet. This new release is currently available with a 1.06 internally wasteated exhaust housing and are rated at 700hp. Dual ball bearing internals standard. We have had cars making 392 rear wheel KW fitted with these units on 24 psi.

gt3540wg.jpg

$1,813.64 AUD .. What you need is someone going out to Oz.

Did I tell you I'm getting married there at Xmas? :D

But yeah, if you wanna keep stock internals you'll have issues due to the un-forged stuff in the 3S.

Yup, roller bearing all the way... Toyota turbos really are horribly laggy, -and just because its a roller bearing you don't have to get a massive bottom end melting afair. I'd go for drivability over outright boostability....

Hybrid CT turbos dont last. i personally wouldnt bother. are you sure your turbo is on its way out as a little oil on the inlet side could be oil mist from the crank case. if there is no play in the shaft id say its ok.

1.2 bar on stock internals is in the danger zone anyway to be fair, the ringlands are under a lot of stress and even the slightest bit of det will tip them over the edge.

as said a GT35 is a good bet or the Greddy TD06-20G kit (make sure its the greddy unit though)

just cos its a bigger tubby dosnt mean you have to run more boost, yes you wont be in the efficiancy range but it will still be an improvement.

Took the intake pipe off earlier and there is slight oil coming off the crank breather... so good call Dawsey. Shaft has no play.

How much am I looking at for the GT35 or the Greddy TD06-20G? What else would I need?

Are you saying to run standard internals with either of these if I keep the boost down?

Even though I don't necessarily need a turbo now, it's got me looking...

the TD06 kitr is about £1500 but that is with tubular manifold (well made) external waste gate etc.

aslong as you have the boost set up on a rolling road to ensure there is no det it will be fine and also will give scope for just over 400bhp should you wish to uprate internals etc.

there is another greddy TD06 that uses the stock manifold and is internaly gated but that seems to be more expensive (possibly as its already imported)

the TD06 kitr is about £1500 but that is with tubular manifold (well made) external waste gate etc.

aslong as you have the boost set up on a rolling road to ensure there is no det it will be fine and also will give scope for just over 400bhp should you wish to uprate internals etc.

there is another greddy TD06 that uses the stock manifold and is internaly gated but that seems to be more expensive (possibly as its already imported)

Thanks for your advice, Dawsey.

Where would I import the TD06 kit from? It seems too cheap to include turbo, manifold and wastegate!

I assume the downpipe I have would be no good now either?