Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Window Tinting

Birddy

Finaly Got My Aygo Windows Tinted.

Thanks Steve

post-75734-1246782913_thumb.jpg

post-75734-1246782929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Red Yaris 54
commercial reference removed

Finaly Got My Aygo Windows Tinted.

Thanks Steve

www.smdsolarcontrol.co.uk

Nice :) how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

The total price was £120

£70 for back 3 windows (75% Tint)

£50 for front 2 windows (50% Tint)

Done a super job, ppl think ive replaced the glass it looks that gd :D

The total price was £120

£70 for back 3 windows (75% Tint)

£50 for front 2 windows (50% Tint)

Done a super job, ppl think ive replaced the glass it looks that gd :D

Hi

Do you think it would cost less if you tint the windows with a lower percentage?

Or would it just vary depending on the shop?

Thanks

The amount of work is the same, even just safetyfilm (not tinted), so I wouldn't think this woudl influence price.

Doesn't Matter on The different tint. It Was based on £25 a window. but let me off £5 lol

was told That the limo black was like a bin bag and would look awful. so i toned it down with a less darkened tint wich i think looks gd.

The font Windows was done at 50% even thou the law states it should be 30% which looked gash!! so i tonned that down. (no problem wiv the police :D)

Edited by Red Yaris 54
Commercial references removed

Is it still within legal limits if you have a higher percentage but have the tints toned down?

I thought the front had to have 70% light minimum no matter what type of tint :)

yea its 70% light. so u can tint up to 30% on the front. but mine is 50%

tonned down is just an expresion. so in ur terms my car only lets in 50% light in the front and my back only lets in 30% of light.

sorry for any confusion

Nah i understand but is that no illegal then having only 50% light in??

My english aint the best at times coz im asian haha :lol:

yes it is illegal only have 50% light. i have seen a mini cooper s with only 25% light on the front!!

Did you take intoe account that the windows are tinted on their

own too? So applying a tint will decrease the light even more?

If you apply 75% film (25% light) onto a 25% window you'll end up with

25% of 75% light being let through, so roughly 19% light (or 81% tint)!!!

Well seems like money not well spent to me - when (not if) you get stopped, you will face the additional cost of having to have the tints removed/replaced - thereby doubling your costs. You may get away with it for now, but in time, you are unlikely - and then it wont look 'smart'. Save your money, get a proper [legal] job done now so you spend only money once and avoid the hassles.

But the more pressing issue here is your Insurance Company. I hope you have declared this 'MOD' to them? The real issue for you is that with these 'illegal tints' you will find yourself in no end of bother should you become involved in a road traffic collision. But hey, as long as it looks 'fly' I guess ...

• 2 weeks later...

Police in North Wales have invested in a new toy that measures the amount of tint, within 7 days they nicked over 12 cars, but as i have always said, we have always been in the dark in Wales

Due To Recent Negotive Replys To My Topic i have decide to answer Your Downsides to window tinting.

Insurance: Does Not Change or Void My Insurance. Isurance company Says that Its more of a security as it hides valubles in the car and will reduce road Glare Whilest Driving. They Say it is no different to wearing sunglasses.

Sunglasses: Only Protects my eyes not my Skin. Window tint has a Factor 1000 so its 20X better Than the highest sun cream on the market. Very Handy as i have a new born child. It also protects my Car from Getting red hot during the summer (i.e. when left parked up in the sun for a few hours). Stops My Car Interior from fading away and losing color.

Police: They Have had those tint testin kits for 2 years now, i have come across may police officers now and not 1 have pulled or even question my windows. i have seen many new cars on a forecourt with ilegal windows being sold and they are all completly factory.

There is more Plus sides than ppl think.

Birddy,

Does anyone know if the aygo is tinted as standard from factory?

If so anyone know the percentage of the tints?

Tinted visors on bike helmets are illegal due to visibilty problems (alledgedly) however bikers including myself still wear them during the day as it reduces glare and consider it a safety plus. An option is to carry a clear visor ina small pouch and replace the visor if visibilty reduces, police will normally let you off if you have a clear visor ready to fit. In fact you cannot even buy them in the UK, a company was fined 10k for selling them for RACE USE ONLY even.

However at night you cannot see ANYTHING, this is with a 50% tint. I know, I made the mistake once when caught out for time, had to ride with visor up - not nice.

I'm suprised your insurance have said it doesn't matter, I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just suprised. I wonder what their attitude would be if you pulled out on a scooter or bike at night and killed the guy because you didn't see him/her.......... that's my concern.

You tend to think a little differently if you've been on 2 wheels.

The difference between your sunglasses and a bike visor is you cannot remove your tints at night, bar winding the windows down.

Looks good, just hope nothing bad comes of it. :)

i agree with wat u are saying. with my front windows they are not that much darker. i think its just right personaly. but can agree wer ur comin from as a bike rider.

Birddy,

First off, we're not having a go at you mate. We want you and other road users to be safe.

I am genuinely surprised that your Insurance Co. have accepted your window tints without question - because amendments to Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations were amended to include 'Window Tint Films' (defined as a material attached to the glass which are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels). This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

So with your 50% you are already breaking the law and at night I shudder to think what you may actually see...and should you be involved in a collision - you bet your window tints will be used agaisnt you.

Like I said, not having a go; just concerned is all.

I agree with all your positives about window tinting as that is the main reason am saving up to get mine done.

But as ihpj stated 50% in your front window is illegal and I'm suprised the company done these as they will get fined if caught.

The law states that front tints MUST let at least 70% of the light in; if caught you will recieve a fine and points. I know this due to a friend being caught and was given 3 days to remove the tints, plus TWO points and £60 for EACH window. The the rear windows you can do whatever you like.

With the insurance matter; it may not "matter" but tints come under modifications.. therefore they will require a premium however big or small who cares. But also they do function within the law. They state that any modifications which are not notified or are known as illegal will have the policy known as void!!!

All insurers state that to be covered the front windows must have a tint of <30%; if you have notified them of this; this still counts as wrong and your insurance is VOID if you are involved in an accident....

Therefore you could be charged with illegal tints; no insurance and carlessness.

Sorry to burst the bubble!

Due To Recent Negotive Replys To My Topic i have decide to answer Your Downsides to window tinting.

Insurance: Does Not Change or Void My Insurance. Isurance company Says that Its more of a security as it hides valubles in the car and will reduce road Glare Whilest Driving. They Say it is no different to wearing sunglasses.

Sunglasses: Only Protects my eyes not my Skin. Window tint has a Factor 1000 so its 20X better Than the highest sun cream on the market. Very Handy as i have a new born child. It also protects my Car from Getting red hot during the summer (i.e. when left parked up in the sun for a few hours). Stops My Car Interior from fading away and losing color.

Police: They Have had those tint testin kits for 2 years now, i have come across may police officers now and not 1 have pulled or even question my windows. i have seen many new cars on a forecourt with ilegal windows being sold and they are all completly factory.

There is more Plus sides than ppl think.

Birddy,

Insurance

I have toyed with getting tints for my back windows for a while, but never got around to it. But the last few insurance quotes I got have actually asked about tinted windows so they might be looking for an excuse to load the premium.

Sunglasses

I ride and drive with 90% tint sunglasses most of the time so the tints would probably mean I can see nothing out the back anyways. On the subject of suncream though, I thought that glass stopped nearly all, if not all, UV anyways so if the windows are closed you wont get sunburnt.

Police

They go through phases of looking for particular problems with cars. The problems with the Police testing kits is most don't carry them or know how to use them, they (or your insurance) might check a bit more carefully in an accident though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links