Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difficulty Filling Up - Pump Keeps Switching Of!

efelstead

Hi everyone.

I have just taken delivery of a new Yaris and needed to top up the fuel.

I had GREAT difficulty at the pump as the nozzle kept switching off.

It must have happened over 10 times before I managed to get a very slow fill.

I tried all sorts of angle with the nozzle pushed in to various depths

but still could only manage a VERY slow fill.

I would be greatful for suggestions to overcome this problem.

Thank you

Best wishes

Edward

This was covered not that long ago...

The search function is what you need! ;)

yeah ive noticed that too i thought it was a dodgy pump but ive been hearing its the way the yaris is designed ..any info on how to solve it?

ive tried the search function but couldnt find anything..

I have real problems when I fill up at Sainsburys. It takes an absolute age to fill up as the petrol just keeps shutting off. However when I go to Esso, it's no problem. :)

this HAS been covered before - do a search.

The simple answer is: try rotating the handle of the nozzle towards the rear lights. It may make you look a bit odd, but solves the problem for me. I only have it at select pumps. My old Rover 200 was terrile for this did it at EVERY pump, but the old rotation trick worked a treat!

yeah ive noticed that too i thought it was a dodgy pump but ive been hearing its the way the yaris is designed ..any info on how to solve it?

ive tried the search function but couldnt find anything..

Hi Waxxy

I note you live in the Wigan area.

I got my Yaris from HW Moon at Challenge Way,Martland Bridge Industrial Estate,Wigan

The salesman put about half a tank in before I picked up the vehicle and he

never mentioned this filling problem.

I went to the BP garage at M6 Junction 26 (Standish) for the top up.

I have used this garage for years with my Rover Metro and could fill up at full blast with no problems.

Others have noticed this problem and if you put "Filling up" in the Search box you can read their comments.

Sorry to hear you regret purchasing your Yaris - You seem to have had some bad luck.

Up to now I have no complaints with my new car.

Best wishes

Edward

The simple answer is: try rotating the handle of the nozzle towards the rear lights. It may make you look a bit odd, but solves the problem for me. I only have it at select pumps. My old Rover 200 was terrile for this did it at EVERY pump, but the old rotation trick worked a treat!

Thanks for the tip Shappers - I will try this at my next fill up.

Best wishes

Edward

ill try another garage it seems i get the problems at sainsbury and tesco pumps but if i try somewere else it seems not to bad ..i read theres some kind of saftey feature in the pumps and the yaris that causes the clicking ..ill try the rotation method thanks :)

yeah ive had a little bit of bad luck but i guess its made me wiser..i dont blame the garage i bought it from i blame toyotas advertising for misleading me a many others even the garages are unsure what trim comes in the cars because it seems the manufacturing plants are changing the specs quicker than they can tell the dealerships..ive just shown the garage the burn mark the air freshners made and they were amazed that the silver plastic isnt one molded piece of silver plastic it is in fact a bog standard clear piece of plastic painted silver ..there gonna try and find me a replacement front panel instead of painiting it hope they can find one..

Yep I do the rotation trick at every fill up now in the Yaris, it's a habit as it works if it's angled!

Woman at Sainsbury's shed some light on it and basically said don't put the nozzle too far into the car

It's a safety thing to stop you overfiling the car. There's some sort of monitor on back pressure from the tank

yeah i filled up my car on saturday with no problems this time ..i didnt push it l the way in and i twisted it sideways too (my god i hope frankie howards ghost isnt reading this)ohhhh errr missues

now explain this...

went to the garage with my daughter on Saturday for her first tank-refuel in her new Yaris.

She put the nozzel in and click, click, click - it kept cutting out

We jiggled the nozzle, turned it slightly, it worked fine for me - full flow....

Gemma tried without moving the nozzle - click, click, click - it wouldn't take any flow at all.

I squeezed the trigger - without moving it one jot - and it took full flow....

We kept swapping between us without moving the nozzle and the same thing kept happening....

I really can't explain it - nbut in the end, I finished filling the tank...

now explain this...

went to the garage with my daughter on Saturday for her first tank-refuel in her new Yaris.

She put the nozzel in and click, click, click - it kept cutting out

We jiggled the nozzle, turned it slightly, it worked fine for me - full flow....

Gemma tried without moving the nozzle - click, click, click - it wouldn't take any flow at all.

I squeezed the trigger - without moving it one jot - and it took full flow....

We kept swapping between us without moving the nozzle and the same thing kept happening....

I really can't explain it - nbut in the end, I finished filling the tank...

That now means that ever time her shiny new Yaris needs fuel, you'll have to fill it! :lol:

Good excuse for a quick drive though eh? ;)

It works for my wife - she had her last Yaris eight years and only had to put fuel into it once.....

(and even then she rang me from the pump to ask which to use and even then she then put Optimax Super Unleaded in instead of ordinary.... - and then claimed she hadn't and the fuel receipt must be wrong....)

This one's now nine months old and she hasn't had to fuel it once.....

:-)

• 10 years later...

I know this is a few years old but having just solved this problem I thought I'd add some information in case others are still fighting this frustrating issue. I bought a 2015 Yaris a few months ago. When I tried to fill it up with petrol the pump kept clicking off. I tried backing off the nozzle and various angles as others have suggested but to no avail. The only way I could get fuel into the car was by very (and I mean very) gently squeezing the trigger. It meant that I was stuck at the pump for a considerable time and it's not easy maintaining that grip tension for long. I tried various petrol stations but it was exactly the same story at each. Eventually I took the car back to Toyota who had a technician try to fill the car. They agreed it was not right so booked the car in for investigation. Anyway they noted "...suspect fuel tank breather is faulty stopping fuel from filling freely into tank. Replaced fuel tank and sender". This has absolutely fixed the problem. I can now blast fuel into the tank at full trigger.