Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Avensis Ignition Barrel Failure

Luke-v

Hi all, I'm having a serious problem with the ignition barrel in my 2004 Avensis.

For the last few weeks I have been having a lot of difficulty with my key not slotting into the barrel smoothly. In some cases it took 10 seconds of jiggling it up and down before it would go in (fnar fnar!).

More recently this has now been compounded by the barrel not registering that I have removed the key. Normally as the key is removed, there is a loud click as a little shield drops down and this then allows the car to have the steering lock put on. Also, until this happens the dash beeps when the driver door is opened and more seriously the car will not lock.

This seems to be a mechanical fault with the ignition barrel, so I'm not sure if this is something I can replace myself. I take it that the barrel will need to match the key, so the question is can Toyota provide a barrel matched to a key, or will I need a whole new set?

Has anyone else had this problem? It is getting serious, with me unable to lock the car at present.

Cheers

Hi all, I'm having a serious problem with the ignition barrel in my 2004 Avensis.

For the last few weeks I have been having a lot of difficulty with my key not slotting into the barrel smoothly. In some cases it took 10 seconds of jiggling it up and down before it would go in (fnar fnar!).

More recently this has now been compounded by the barrel not registering that I have removed the key. Normally as the key is removed, there is a loud click as a little shield drops down and this then allows the car to have the steering lock put on. Also, until this happens the dash beeps when the driver door is opened and more seriously the car will not lock.

This seems to be a mechanical fault with the ignition barrel, so I'm not sure if this is something I can replace myself. I take it that the barrel will need to match the key, so the question is can Toyota provide a barrel matched to a key, or will I need a whole new set?

Has anyone else had this problem? It is getting serious, with me unable to lock the car at present.

Cheers

Get a new barrel it might solve it then!

Hi I had the same issue with my Toyota Avensis 2003 model.

I used WD40 in the barrel and inserted and removed the key a few times and sprayed wd40 again. this solved the problem but Toyota advised that I should get the barrel changed so I did just that.

You don't need to reprogramme the ECu or make new keys. They simply produce a new barrel to match the existing settings and fit.

"Remember to ask for your old one back"

I had exactly the same problem with my 04 Avensis: WD40 in the barrel, as Muarrif described, sorted it out, no issues since.

Get a new barrel it might solve it then!

Wow, thanks for such a helpful post... :rolleyes:

Muarrif, did you change the barrel yourself, or did you get them to do it? How much did you have to pay?

I had exactly the same problem with my 04 Avensis: WD40 in the barrel, as Muarrif described, sorted it out, no issues since.

i to have 04 avensis with same problem used wd40 about 2 months ago, no problem since.

i to have 04 avensis with same problem used wd40 about 2 months ago, no problem since.

Just tried WD40, but still no luck. I'll try again tomorrow when it has had a chance to work its way around.

At the very least I can lock the doors on the key, but there is no alarm with this method.

Got the car booked in tomorrow so will see what Toyota say.

Work the key in and out of barrell several times while applying WD40

The key usually gathers dust and fluf from the pockets and this is carried into the barrell when inserting so give it a few more tries.

• 8 years later...

I have been having the same issue over the last few days. How much am I looking at if I have to replace the barrel?