Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux Overheating

sjt61

I have a 2.4lt hilux surf (import) that keeps over heating, any1 have any ideas?????

I have had the engine in pieces to check for any blockages and also had the head replaced but still overheating once u hit about 50-55mph.

Is just standing on my front at mo and being female and expectin again I dont know whether I can be bothered with it as Im we always use our other car anyway due to my daughter being in a wheelchair.

If i came to sell any1 have a guide what i should look 4 4 it? Its in good condition for the year bar some rusting on the bumper bar and obvious wear to the transfers down sides.

Any guidance from any1 would b much appreciated

Sarah

I'm not sure if its the case with yours, but i have HEARD that sometimes a film/slime forms inside the radiator fins when the coolant isnt changed every so often. Therfore causing it to overheat and crack the head. Also HEARD that sometimes the exhust is too small choking the engine which also cause overheating.

Not sure whether its true or not, its just what a few have told me when i was looking at buying a surf.

I may be oversimplifying things, given the work you have had done, but you have checked the thermostat and its function?

• 2 weeks later...

Have had all the rad out n checked but doesnt seem to be this, will take a browse at the exhaust tho, cheers Sarah

hey all, my surf was only overheating on the motorway and i tried everything and i ended up changing the water pump and its fine now

• 11 years later...

I have a problem with overheating on a 2.5 toyota single cab i changed the water pump, the thermostat and the heat sensor checked the pipes and radiator head was checked crack test preasure test new casket what could still cause the overheating ?

• 1 month later...

Sound like you have done all the flow tests and ensured everything is circulating right.

Now make a point of checking the viscous fan (the white bladed fan behind the shroud that sucks air through the radiator). Normally when the engine is cold the fan will spin, but not very hard. As it warms up, the fan will kick in to keep the engine cool, and when hot, you should hear the fan roar loudly to bring the engine temperature back down. If you have A/C the electric fan also automatically starts when the a/c comes on. Check that is actually happening and operating correctly.

To test, when your vehicle is hot, stop driving and pull the hood and immediately and with motor still running you should feel good airflow blowing upwards above the rear of the fan. Don't put your hand near the fan obviously, but check that you feel the flow basically rising up above the engine as it sucks air through. If you can have someone turn the vehicle off while you watch the fan. If it comes to a fairly abrupt stop the hub is working properly, if it keeps spinning round and round for a few seconds after your fan hub needs repair or replacement. Reconfirm by immediately after a hot shutdown, careful as everything should be very hot, by grabbing the tips of the white fan blades & try turning it by hand ... it should feel very firm with solid resistance, if it's anything but you have confirmed that's the issue. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links