Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dim Led Brake Lights On Prius

PRIUS 2005 6 LED brake light unit:-

For the past 2 years the rear near-side brake light comprising 6 individual LEDs has been dim, but would intermittently become bright again to match the off side one.
This intermittent failure and re-correction indicated a poor connection somewhere within the wiring system but it was uncertain if this was a poor earth connection.

It was corrected by the Toyota Garage in Bristol by removing the boot trim and disconnecting and reconnecting the white plastic multi-wire connector which comprises male and female components.

The Toyota repair lasted for 2-3 months and then failed again. I investigated the white plastic connector myself by disconnecting the plastic male-female plug components. By very slightly twisting each of the 6 blade-like pin terminals with a pair of snipe nosed pliers it was possible to improve the connection contacts within the plug when reassembled. The brake lights instantly became bright again.

The female & male components of the connector can be pulled apart by pressing down the projecting end of the plastic arm which lifts a small latch on the underside of the other end of the arm.

IMG_0055.JPG

REMOVE COVER TO REVEAL TAIL LIGHT

IMG_0057.JPG

PULL OUT PLASTIC CONNECTOR AND SEPARATE

(Disconnect male & female parts of plug by pressing the left hand end of plastic bar above – then pull apart.

IMG_0058.JPG

6 FLAT METAL BLADE PINS

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.