Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Had Mot - 3 X T180 Tyres Needed!

sywy

Just had my MOT (first one in 11-12 years!!) and the front 2 tyres are near the legal limit (I knew about this anyway), but they also spotted a nail in one of the rear tyres. Apart from that, it passed :) Anyway, as I possibly need 3 new tyres, it might be time to think about completely changing all 4 wheels for some standard, non-RFT, wheels and tyres. I know it's been talked about a bit on the forum, but can't recall anyone having done it, although my memory is not as it used to be. The other alternative is to get the 'donuts' removed, as one member here has done. The only issue I can see is the warning light on the dash. I think I can live with that, although I might change my mind later. Anyway, was just wondering who has changed their T180 tyres, and to what. Pictures would be good, as would be a price, if that isn't too personal. I've not checked with Mr. T how much it would cost to change 3 tyres, but I know it's not going to be cheap!! Will ring around next week.

Good to hear from you Sy and glad your are through the test (although I would have been surprised to hear otherwise!).

It has definitely been done and was in one of the last T180 tyre threads so you should be able to fibd prices etc.

You could try a search or maybe somebody can remember who it was.

Cheers

Just a thought...

The new SR comes with the same size tyres without the run flat bit, could that be an option? :unsure:

remove the tyre get the silly band removed(the tyres themselfs are not run flats)replace what tyres need replacing job done.

you wont get a warning light on as its the valve that has the sensor on it(just remember if the wheel comes off the front right it must go back on the front right) :thumbsup:

remove the tyre get the silly band removed(the tyres themselfs are not run flats)replace what tyres need replacing job done.

you wont get a warning light on as its the valve that has the sensor on it(just remember if the wheel comes off the front right it must go back on the front right) :thumbsup:

Hi all

What is the reason that the wheel must go back where it came off. My Rav4 manual tells me to change the wheels front to back every 5000 miles!!

Hi all

What is the reason that the wheel must go back where it came off. My Rav4 manual tells me to change the wheels front to back every 5000 miles!!

Hi Goldtar, you don,t say which model rav you have? but the T/SR 180 has run-flat tyres, each tyre has a sender in the valve which registers the tyre pressure for each wheel to an on board digital display so if you moved say the osf wheel to the osr + the osr was then losing pressure your display would be telling you that the problem was with the osf, I don't actually have a T180 but this is how i understand it works, as always if i am wrong I'm sure someone will advise :thumbsup: Stew

Just a thought...

The new SR comes with the same size tyres without the run flat bit, could that be an option? :unsure:

I'd not realised that. Does this mean that Toyota have abandon the dreaded Bridgestone RFT system then? If so there seems little chance of the tyres/fitting becoming "mainstream" and therefore more realistic in cost terms.

Hi all

Hi Goldtar, you don,t say which model rav you have? but the T/SR 180 has run-flat tyres, each tyre has a sender in the valve which registers the tyre pressure for each wheel to an on board digital display so if you moved say the osf wheel to the osr + the osr was then losing pressure your display would be telling you that the problem was with the osf, I don't actually have a T180 but this is how i understand it works, as always if i am wrong I'm sure someone will advise :thumbsup: Stew

almost mate almost........the tyre valves are each coded and each code relates to a corner say o/s/f has a code of 1122 and the n/s/f has a code of 2211 if you swpped them over the tyre pressure ecu wouldnt recognise the codes their for throwing up a warning light on your dash as it thinks theirs a problem with your valve.

also if you rotate them and the light comes on(and it will) if you forget which tyre went were your looking at a huge bill as the only way to get the code to recode them is by removing the tyre and looking at the valve(and as most of you know its hard finding a tyre place that can do this tyre set up)!!!!you have been warned!!!!how i know this i've worked for toyota for a long time .

ps goldtar this only counts if yours is fitted with runflats and tyre pressure sensors

Just a thought...

Hi Dduncs,

I recently looked at new/facelift SR Rav automatic, which definitely did have RFT system, one of the main reasons, apart from delivery time and daft price, that I didn't go for a shiny new one.

So I went out and bought a nearly new one with the same undesired system !!!!!!!

I for one will be changing to normal tyres come the time, even at the expense of buying a matching expensive 18" alloy....nobody is getting 250 gbp off me for a tyre!

Thanks to ORMI from Double Glazing Town near Edinburgh for his superb info on these overpriced items / systems.

Oterwise, car of 5 week's ownership is a good 'un.

Regards,

Big Kev

Just a thought...

Hi Dduncs,

I recently looked at new/facelift SR Rav automatic, which definitely did have RFT system, one of the main reasons, apart from delivery time and daft price, that I didn't go for a shiny new one.

So I went out and bought a nearly new one with the same undesired system !!!!!!!

I for one will be changing to normal tyres come the time, even at the expense of buying a matching expensive 18" alloy....nobody is getting 250 gbp off me for a tyre!

Thanks to ORMI from Double Glazing Town near Edinburgh for his superb info on these overpriced items / systems.

Regards,

Big Kev

Kev

Are you sure about the new SR?

I looked at one and it had 18" wheels sure enough but they were conventional. The new brochure shows both XTR with 17" wheels and the SR with 18" wheels both as having conventional tyres with "tyre repair kit".

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/leads/pdfFiles/rc5559.pdf

Regards

The SR demonstrator at Reading does not have run flats.

The SR does come with the same Bridgestone Dueller H/T tyres as the old T/SR180 but the side walls do not have the run flat symbol on them:

idx_cn02_logo.gif

Just a thought...

Hi Dduncs,

Regards,

Big Kev

Kev

Are you sure about the new SR?

I looked at one and it had 18" wheels sure enough but they were conventional. The new brochure shows both XTR with 17" wheels and the SR with 18" wheels both as having conventional tyres with "tyre repair kit".

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/leads/pdfFiles/rc5559.pdf

Regards

Hi Anchs,

Just had a thought...it was the Salesman who TOLD me

it had runflats, the same Salesman who asked me if my D4D Avensis was "the turbo version", and I still await his calling me after about 9 weeks with a trade in price for my Avensis too. So maybe his info inaccurate on RFT'S?

rEGARDS,

KEVIN

the valves are not coded into individual corners of the vehicle as long as the valves are coded into the vehicle the warning little will not come on the dash. (unless tyre going down) Most toyota dealership will not take the BSR's out due to the fact that they will be changing the spec of a vehicle that is ment to have runflats fitted.

Thanks for all the advice and info guys.

Haven't done anything with them yet. I think I have a few months left on the front, and haven't located the nail in the rear yet.

the valves are not coded into individual corners of the vehicle as long as the valves are coded into the vehicle the warning little will not come on the dash. (unless tyre going down) Most toyota dealership will not take the BSR's out due to the fact that they will be changing the spec of a vehicle that is ment to have runflats fitted.

yip they are if they are not why do you enter the codes as follows o/s/f ,n/s/f,n/s/r followed buy o/s/r as the its state's on the it2 if entered wrongly their will be a fault with that wheel also if it wasn't coded to the corners how would you know what tyre was flat if you had a puncture.also have had many people in that have rotated their wheels and ping their goes the fault light.

Where does it tell you which tyre is 'low pressure'? I had a puncture over 2 years ago, and can only remember the warning light coming on. I know there were definitely no messages, as I had to look in the handbook what the warning light meant. That was before it lost all pressure, when you can definitely feel that you have a flat!!

Where does it tell you which tyre is 'low pressure'? I had a puncture over 2 years ago, and can only remember the warning light coming on. I know there were definitely no messages, as I had to look in the handbook what the warning light meant. That was before it lost all pressure, when you can definitely feel that you have a flat!!

It doesn't tell you which tyre is flat you have to check the pressures on all the tyres. If you get a flat on the front you can normally feel it through the steering it will go heavy and you just have to check the rears.

It doesn't tell you which tyre is flat you have to check the pressures on all the tyres. If you get a flat on the front you can normally feel it through the steering it will go heavy and you just have to check the rears.

Acording to this, albeit US site, each sensor has a unique code. Read and enjoy:LINK

Acording to this, albeit US site, each sensor has a unique code. Read and enjoy:LINK

yes the valves do have indivdual codes stamped on to the vavles but the vehicle can't display which tyre has lost pressure it brings on the warning light. Toyota recommend that you check your tyre pressures every month.

not on the dash it doesn't but on IT2(my toyota diag tool i work for a main dealer) it does!!ie the light comes on you check the tyre pressures low and behold they are all fine!!!!!you go to toyota and they tell you the n/s/r valve is faulty how do we know because the valves are coded to each corner!!!!!either that or we replace all 4 at the cost of about 50 each plus labour plus vat!!

cheers davrav for the support mate at least you know how they work but heres a small piece from the link he put up

Registration of Toyota TPMS ID's

When the TPMS system is fitted at the factory the unique ID numbers of the TPM sensors have to be registered along with their position on the car with the tire pressure monitor ECU. This is also the case if any of the system components are subsequently changed e.g. in the event of rotating the tires, changing sensors, replacing the ECU etc. This process requires the activation of the TPMS sensor using low frequency radio and the capture of the UHF data transmitted. This data includes the TPMS ID, the pressure and temperature. In the plants the activation is carried out using large antenna systems on the production line but in the dealerships and tire shops hand tools are used. These tools can also be used to check the TPMS for faults prior to disassembly. If a TPM sensor or its position on the car is changed without re-registering the IDs then the TPMS warning light will turn on and stay on until the ID's are reregistered.

to tsport 51 check out the italic part.i will now take a bow :toast::yahoo:

yes the valves do have indivdual codes stamped on to the vavles but the vehicle can't display which tyre has lost pressure it brings on the warning light. Toyota recommend that you check your tyre pressures every month.

I took it to mean an electronic code - presumably, even though it only triggers one warning light [another mean economy from MrT] the ecu must store the information for reading later - maybe to identify a wheel/tyre that has a recurring leak?

I think you'll find that you will know if you have a flat on the rear, as I did. You can basically feel every tiny bump on the road!!

Oh, and ormi, I wasn't questioning you (I knew you worked for Toyota from other posts), I was just curious as to where the info was displayed.

not on the dash it doesn't but on IT2(my toyota diag tool i work for a main dealer) it does!!ie the light comes on you check the tyre pressures low and behold they are all fine!!!!!you go to toyota and they tell you the n/s/r valve is faulty how do we know because the valves are coded to each corner!!!!!either that or we replace all 4 at the cost of about 50 each plus labour plus vat!!

cheers davrav for the support mate at least you know how they work but heres a small piece from the link he put up

When the TPMS system is fitted at the factory the unique ID numbers of the TPM sensors have to be registered along with their position on the car with the tire pressure monitor ECU. This is also the case if any of the system components are subsequently changed e.g. in the event of rotating the tires, changing sensors, replacing the ECU etc. This process requires the activation of the TPMS sensor using low frequency radio and the capture of the UHF data transmitted. This data includes the TPMS ID, the pressure and temperature. In the plants the activation is carried out using large antenna systems on the production line but in the dealerships and tire shops hand tools are used. These tools can also be used to check the TPMS for faults prior to disassembly. If a TPM sensor or its position on the car is changed without re-registering the IDs then the TPMS warning light will turn on and stay on until the ID's are reregistered.

to tsport 51 check out the italic part. :toast::yahoo:

The id number has to be programmed into the ecu but the wheels are not coded into each corner. As a toyota runflat fitter i know as i have moved wheels from there origanal positions and the warning light has not come on.

I took it to mean an electronic code - presumably, even though it only triggers one warning light [another mean economy from MrT] the ecu must store the information for reading later - maybe to identify a wheel/tyre that has a recurring leak?

thats right mate and when you take it to toyota they plug in the it2 and the it2 tells you the faulty valve.(by using the registered numbers which corraspond to the valves)

to tsport 51 check out the italic part. :toast::yahoo:

The id number has to be programmed into the ecu but the wheels are not coded into each corner. As a toyota runflat fitter i know as i have moved wheels from there origanal positions and the warning light has not come on.

aaahhhaaa but the warning light coming on is not instant can take up to 20mins to come on i have the bullitin all about this at work i'll see if i can scan and post if not i'll take pics of snap shot data off the it2.

you a tec for toyota???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links