Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Verso D4d - P1251 Step Motor Error - Is There A Fix?

Jtrunks

Evening all,

I have just bought a fantastic Avensis Verso (55 plate(2005)), for me, the best car i have owned so far. Except that it has twice now lost power and gone into limp mode - both times going up hill.

I have trawled the many thread on this forum - which i great by the way - and there seems to be many theories as to what the problem is.

I had 3 weeks of trouble free motoring, then after letting the fuel tanks get very low (the warning lamp came on), i filled the tank up to the brim. 2 days later the car suffered it's first "loss of power" episode.

Surely running the tank low has just sucked some muck through the system?

My local garage tried to tell me it was the vanes on the turbo that were sticking and recommended i put some STP Diesel Injector Cleaner in the fuel. Since then i has happened once more.

So, being a stubborn kind of fellow, i WILL get to the bottom of this, so have started investigating and documenting what i have done, and the success/failure rate. If i can prove the various fixes touted on this forum - it will be of everyone's benefit.

So far i am trying:

1. Diesel injector cleaner added to full tank - P1251 error & limp mode on 07.03.10

2. Added more Diesel injector cleaner & had a couple of high rev passes down the local bypass - it blew a ton of muck out of the back.

3. Read somewhere that a chap fixed the problem by unscrewing his fuel filler cap - so am also trying this! Who knows :D

Assuming none of these work - next is the fuel filters, both engine & tank end. Is it worth adding a second in-line fuel filter too?

Has someone already found a lasting solution to this problem?

Finally, can anyone advise me where i can get a copy of the Workshop manual?

Thanks in advance for your help

James T

Bump, for the after work surfers :o)

Evening all,

I have just bought a fantastic Avensis Verso (55 plate(2005)), for me, the best car i have owned so far. Except that it has twice now lost power and gone into limp mode - both times going up hill.

I have trawled the many thread on this forum - which i great by the way - and there seems to be many theories as to what the problem is.

I had 3 weeks of trouble free motoring, then after letting the fuel tanks get very low (the warning lamp came on), i filled the tank up to the brim. 2 days later the car suffered it's first "loss of power" episode.

Surely running the tank low has just sucked some muck through the system?

My local garage tried to tell me it was the vanes on the turbo that were sticking and recommended i put some STP Diesel Injector Cleaner in the fuel. Since then i has happened once more.

So, being a stubborn kind of fellow, i WILL get to the bottom of this, so have started investigating and documenting what i have done, and the success/failure rate. If i can prove the various fixes touted on this forum - it will be of everyone's benefit.

So far i am trying:

1. Diesel injector cleaner added to full tank - P1251 error & limp mode on 07.03.10

2. Added more Diesel injector cleaner & had a couple of high rev passes down the local bypass - it blew a ton of muck out of the back.

3. Read somewhere that a chap fixed the problem by unscrewing his fuel filler cap - so am also trying this! Who knows :D

Assuming none of these work - next is the fuel filters, both engine & tank end. Is it worth adding a second in-line fuel filter too?

Has someone already found a lasting solution to this problem?

Finally, can anyone advise me where i can get a copy of the Workshop manual?

Thanks in advance for your help

James T

I can't believe it! The damn thing went into limp mode again on the way home.

Again, fixed by turning off and in again.

Now booked into garage to have fuel filter changed. Do i need to drain the tank and blow the pipes through too?

Cheers

James

Thanks CMIA :thumbsup:

Is this sensor on the turbo itself? Which sensor do i need to clean. Sorry for seeming a bit thick - i'm new to diesels.

Cheers

James

stepper motor is on the turbo.

It is a sensor

remove and clean.

Hi

The actual fault is the ecu is detecting that the turbo is making too much boost, or too little. Some times loose connections around the turbo, or a sticky waste gate can cause the problem.

Otherwise this fault can be caused by the vacum valve.

Based on the avensis - it has two, one located next to the EGR valve, the other next to the turbo.

It maybe a case of the tubes have become frayed from heat.

Its not easy as cleaning, u may have to remove the turbo if the wastegate feels stuck open.

Also do this with the engine off.

Sounds like a good place to start.

I have just found this info, although for a different car/code it sounds like my error:

EGR stepper motor circuit malfunction

This egr (exhaust gas recirculation) stepper motor code is best checked by physically having a look at the bottom of the egr stepper motor. When the vehicle engine has a lot of mileage, a carbon build up will occur at the pintle rod at the bottom of the motor and make the exhaust gas passage difficult causing the code. When removed, the carbon can be clean and pintle rod freed up so tyhat it moves.

Shown on the picture on the left is a typical picture of an egr stepper motor showing the pintle valve at the bottom. You can use a small pick and brake spray to clean the carbon. (don't use the carb spray since it is very sensitive to rubber parts). Once the rod is clean, you can move it manually until it is free. This should be your first step in fixing this P1409 code before checking any wires or the ecm.

So the stepper motor on my engine replaces the older vacuum driven mechanism (EGR Vacuum modulator?), the P1251 codes indicates an intermittent error on the step motor - it could be clogged up with carbon.

Cheers cmia, for your help, where should i look to find the EGR valve & step motor? I dont have a workshop manual.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

depending on how the engine is located on the avensis D4D 2003>2005,

if you take off the engine cover, the Battery should be to the right,

If you look at the postive terminal and then look at the left you will see something like this

toyota_egr_valve.png

now first think to check is if any of the tubes are disconnected or frayed. if you leave the engine running and run your hands along the tubes if it has a leak you will feel pressure diffrence.

the stepper motor, is the electronic part of the egr valve.

remove the egr valve (make sure the engine is off) and disconnect all the electrics and soak the egar valve in diesel engine oil.

use an old tooth brush to clean the grit/garbon inside.

reverse and fit and try.

Brilliant pictures - thanks for all your help.

I will report back after i have had a look, will try to post some pics too.

Thanks again

OK, so i today i have replaced both the fuel & air filter. Removed the EGR/Stepper motor - blown the carp out with the compressed air line (there was a quite significant buildup), then cleaned it out with carb cleaner.

It was all clean as a whistle when re-assembled. i guess i just have to wait and see now.

Just a though, if i were to blank off both ports from the EGR, what would happen? Appart from stopping all that soot from getting into my engine.

Thanks for the help - I'll keep you updated.

James

• 3 weeks later...

ive posted in your other thread ;)

Hi

I have recently "inherited" a T4 d-4d avensis which had same error code and problem once that i know of, last September (i think). p1251 was the code with "Turbocharger overboost condition (too high)" and the code and MIL was cleared by local garage but to my knowledge no work was done. The person who had the car previously said that the local mechanic said that the wastegate can take in too much air and shut down the revs to prevent damage? Is this correct?It hasn't happened since and wondered if it is worth looking at trying anything or not whilst the car is running sweet. I do not want to let a problem build up as I do very high mileage. it is serviced regularly and would appreciate any help please. Currently running at 160k on the clock and still smooth as ever.

thanks

Wayne

Hi

I have recently "inherited" a T4 d-4d avensis which had same error code and problem once that i know of, last September (i think). p1251 was the code with "Turbocharger overboost condition (too high)" and the code and MIL was cleared by local garage but to my knowledge no work was done. The person who had the car previously said that the local mechanic said that the wastegate can take in too much air and shut down the revs to prevent damage? Is this correct?It hasn't happened since and wondered if it is worth looking at trying anything or not whilst the car is running sweet. I do not want to let a problem build up as I do very high mileage. it is serviced regularly and would appreciate any help please. Currently running at 160k on the clock and still smooth as ever.

thanks

Wayne

generally the error code p1251 and similar ones are caused by the turbo or the electronics around them (stepper motor) - a sensor.

Now the newer D4D cars comes with variable vane turbos, the vanes open and close and are electronically controlled by the ecu. The advantages of a variable vanes turbos are simple, when in a lower gear the turbo vanes close thus letting the turbo spool up quicker (less lag) when in a higher gear the vanes open making the turbo act bigger. (to make more power).

now if the sensor is in good condition, the only other fault is with the turbo.

It needs to be rebuilt or replaced. a turbo company should be able to test the vanes functions. BUT if its intermitant you may have thousands of miles left in it, or couple of hundred.

Hi

thanks

Wayne

generally the error code p1251 and similar ones are caused by the turbo or the electronics around them (stepper motor) - a sensor.

Now the newer D4D cars comes with variable vane turbos, the vanes open and close and are electronically controlled by the ecu. The advantages of a variable vanes turbos are simple, when in a lower gear the turbo vanes close thus letting the turbo spool up quicker (less lag) when in a higher gear the vanes open making the turbo act bigger. (to make more power).

It needs to be rebuilt or replaced. a turbo company should be able to test the vanes functions. BUT if its intermitant you may have thousands of miles left in it, or couple of hundred.

HI CMIA

Thanks for the reply. You have to excuse my total ignorance but I am more confused now lol also my engine knowledge is minimal.

If it has happened only once in the autumn and not since what is your preferred diagnosis. I know you cannot see the car but you seem very knowledgeable. By the way it is a 53 plate model. Also if the code was reset by the garage when it happened does that mean if it is still a potential problem the light will not come on prior to the problem?

Which sensor exactly are you talking about that would need checking. Where would you recommend a good Turbo company in the Midlands to check it over and worst case how much would rebuilding/replacing cost do you think?

Your help is very much appreciated once again.

To all parties.

Try www.btnturbo.com. A long established company that supply all leading brand's of turbo. Brand new, exchange units or have your own turbo re-built by them. They have an online catalogue in PDF format that will give you a price for your turbo once you locate serial number on unit. They also supply a free DVD/CD that covers all aspects of how your turbo works.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi

thanks

Wayne

HI CMIA

Thanks for the reply. You have to excuse my total ignorance but I am more confused now lol also my engine knowledge is minimal.

If it has happened only once in the autumn and not since what is your preferred diagnosis. I know you cannot see the car but you seem very knowledgeable. By the way it is a 53 plate model. Also if the code was reset by the garage when it happened does that mean if it is still a potential problem the light will not come on prior to the problem?

Which sensor exactly are you talking about that would need checking. Where would you recommend a good Turbo company in the Midlands to check it over and worst case how much would rebuilding/replacing cost do you think?

Your help is very much appreciated once again.

The sensor is on the turbo on my avensis. BUT can be located on the bulkhead of the car.

The issue here is cost. Now becuase the error can be generated due to a combination of faulty items, my advise to you would be to drive it untill the faulty part becomes more apparent.

Also look at the cheaper components before you start replacing the most expensive ones. The code will be stored in the ECU and the toyota dealers should be able to check and tell you when the code first appered.

If the light comes on again it will put the car into LIMP mode which is saftey mode, and as far as rebuild and replacment costs are,from a couple of hundred to tripple digits is possible.

Look at doing a service on the sensors, and checking the turbo for shaft play.

When iam reffering to sensors, I am talking about both Mechanical and electronic.

:)

Thanks again cmia

thanks also Beagh

I have bought a handheld fault code reader now u480 model. it connects and works well. It actually doesn't show the same p1251 code error anywhere. Funnily enough though the light cam on today and plugged the meter back in and it has p0380 which i beleive refers to the glow plugs.

Now I know the changing of glow plugs should be very straightforward and i can get that done easily. However what do you think regarding the original code I posted about no longer being in the system? Does this mean I do not have a problem or that it has been cleared somehwere?

The vehicle although high mileage has been serviced regularly and drives perfect. i took it on a 200 mile round trip the other day with no problem at all. I have even floored it on the odd occasion out of curiosity of that original fault and it still flies!

Could it have been relating to fuel/air filter or something else prior to a service last year playing havoc with the turbo management?

By the way you guys are really helpful. i'm glad I found this forum.

• 3 years later...

i know this is old thred. but sombody still use. got P1251 two times when towing small camping trailer. read few threds and: sprayd wd40 on the wacum controled arm for wariomatic valves in my turbo, got a stick under the car and workt the arms for a minute. i felt it got smoother even thoug it wasn´t stuck befor. drove 200km in weekend (100km whith the trailer) and no problem so far

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links