Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stereo Help

ps124

Hello All,

I need some help! I have a Corolla T-Spirit. Im sure we all know the factory fitted radio doesn't play mp3 or CD-RWs. So I decided to buy an external MP3 dongle type thing that connects into the CD changer port on the back of the stereo. I opened it all up myself with some helpful instructions on the net and fitted the device successfully. All working well...sweet!

Then, one day, while driving along listening to the radio, the sound just cut out. I could see the display, change to CD, change radio stations, but there was just no output. Turning off the car for a while and turning it back on, made the stereo work for a while but the sound cuts out randomly.

I thought it may just be a loose connection so I opened it all up again and checked connections. Still same problem. I have no idea what it could be but its damn annoying! Could it be the dongle? This only started happening once I fitted the dongle. But I find it hard to accept it is because of that? does anyone have an ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What dongle are you using, then we can work out what the problem is.

From the sounds of it, if everything is working and connected, it could be a cable issue, as in a broken/loose wiring inside.

An old H/U i had, has a motorised fold-down facial plate to hide the CD slot behind it.

Everytime i put a new CD into it, the display would go blank, but if i turned it off then on again, it would work again. Alpine said the ribbon cable the connects to it does this, and hence a design fault.

Could be the same with your dongle.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Im using a connects2 aux adapter (see links below). I've spoken with connects2 and some other stores and they're fairly confident this shouldnt be the problem. I've checked the wires fully. Nothing damaged or broken. Anyway, the sound is not coming out of the unit itself. Even if I'm not using the aux adapter. It happens even if im just using the radio. Someone I know mentioned earthing. Could this be related?

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search.aspx?manID=232&modID=596&catID=4

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CTVTYX002

What dongle are you using, then we can work out what the problem is.

From the sounds of it, if everything is working and connected, it could be a cable issue, as in a broken/loose wiring inside.

An old H/U i had, has a motorised fold-down facial plate to hide the CD slot behind it.

Everytime i put a new CD into it, the display would go blank, but if i turned it off then on again, it would work again. Alpine said the ribbon cable the connects to it does this, and hence a design fault.

Could be the same with your dongle.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Earthing could be something to check, but that would most likely take out the whole stereo, not only the sound.

Do you have some sort of hands free connected to your head unit? In that case, the mute function could be kicking in randomly. Try removing it and see if sound is stable.

To verify that the MP3-player is not causing the problems, take it out and see for a couple of days if the sound is stable. If so, then you can be certain that the MP3-player is the sinner to all this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi st thicket,

Thanks for your reply. I will definately do what you said and get back to you. My dad, who is a little better then me at fitting things reckons its still sjut a loose connection. But I can't understand the randomness of it. If I turn off the car and turn it back on after 15-20 mins, it starts working again. A loose connection should stay loose until fitted properly right?

but I will try what you said.

• 3 months later...

Hi st thicket,

Thanks for your reply. I will definately do what you said and get back to you. My dad, who is a little better then me at fitting things reckons its still sjut a loose connection. But I can't understand the randomness of it. If I turn off the car and turn it back on after 15-20 mins, it starts working again. A loose connection should stay loose until fitted properly right?

but I will try what you said.

Hi there,

I was wondering what is the result from your finding as I too am having this problem after recently installing a connects 2Aux adaptor to my Yaris

Hi,

I also encountered this problem as soon as i installed a high level to rca device, but the sound only is gone as soon as i turn up the volume to a bit too high and then the sound is gone... switch the car of completly and take the key out and within 5 sec everything back to normal... so i thought it was like a safety device for the radio and so i keep my volume lower than max but i dont know if its the same prob as yours

Basically the radio, cd or the aux while playing and during the drive will start to go quiet and then no sounds come out, I have turn the onboard dash volume to max and you can probably hear a little bit on the right hand speaker, however when you turn the engine off and then back on the volume goes to max (which you then turn down) and then later while driving you randomly lose it again...

I have noticed the the audio is impacted during driving especially when revving...could be coincidence

My 'Rolla t3 had a similar problem with the factory fitted radio before I owned the car.

My granddad took it to Toyota and they admitted it was a fault with the radio and replaced it for him free of charge. :)

hmmm, I just bought my car from a previous owner, I don't think it is the stock stereo, but possibly to do with the Connects 2 Aux adaptor...

I've been told that it could be the earth wire that needs to be attached to the car...however I would like to know schematic of the wires to verify, if anyone knows this, it would be great!

OK have an update:

Managed to get some email support from Connects 2 apparently it may be to do with the Orange wire on the connects 2 Interface...along the lines of the 'mute' playing up...was told to cut it and insulate it...

So far so good...will update when there are any changes :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

OK have an update:

Managed to get some email support from Connects 2 apparently it may be to do with the Orange wire on the connects 2 Interface...along the lines of the 'mute' playing up...was told to cut it and insulate it...

Hey,

I've just recently bought the Connects2 Aux adapter for my Yaris and seem to be having the same problem (and from looking here: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69704 we're not the only ones...)

Did cutting the Orange cable work? Any side effects?

Was the Orange cable on the line that plugs into the Connects2 box? or the other line? (the one that goes from male to female inbetween the original cables)

• 3 months later...

OK have an update:

Hey,

I've just recently bought the Connects2 Aux adapter for my Yaris and seem to be having the same problem (and from looking here: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69704 we're not the only ones...)

Did cutting the Orange cable work? Any side effects?

Was the Orange cable on the line that plugs into the Connects2 box? or the other line? (the one that goes from male to female inbetween the original cables)

Hi Like JVN and Steve I had a similar problem with a connects2 aux port kit and my toyota corolla. It would all be working but the next time I used the damn thing there would be no sound, either from the radio or the aux port!!! taking a chance I cut the orange wire on the lead coming out of the connects2 box, insulated both ends and hey presto! - it works all the time!! yippee - thanks for the info JVN !!

Cheers

KaiserK

everyone is going to shout at me now but corolla factory sound leaves A LOT to be desired lol...consider buying a new head unit which has all the functions you require built in?

* runs away and hides *

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links