Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rav4 Sr Style Auto

bluevortex

Hi All

Thought I'd share some pictures of the new Rav4 facelift 2010 model. This is a 2.2D SR Style Auto in black. It's my Dad's new Rav4 and only has 250 miles on the clock. My Mum dropped it off last night for it's first detail. I gave it a !Removed! good wash, clay and finished with a good quality wax. I only had 3 hours so no correction by machine polish (that will happen later on) or interior, glass, engine.... carried out at this point.

I had a quick drive in it and have to say it's a beautiful car. The auto box is quiet and smooth. Other little refinements are a big plus over my 2006 T180. It has hill descent, Sport button and ESP. The revised bonnet, bumpers, grilles, dark alloys and style pack give a lovely beefy feel and the over all refinement is top notch. I also thought the part leather seats were far more comfortable and the rear camera via satnav is a wicked little toy to have. So far very impressed - I want one :drool:

My dad was keen for me to get the paint protected & underbody sealed prior to a trip down south next week.

Process:

- Underbody sealed with Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 (previous nights work)

- Pre-wash with citrus Snow Foam & rinsed with pressure washer

- Meguiars APC (Door shuts, grilles & badges)

- Hand washed using two bucket method + lambswool washmitt & zymol sponge

- Panels spritzed with Autosmart Tardis

- Clayed with Zaino bar

- Bilberry (acid free) wheel cleaner applied and agitated with various brushes & washed off

- Meguiars Last Touch

- Dried with miracle drier

- Wheels sealed with Poorboys

- Tyres dressed with CG New Look Trim Gel

- Swisswax cleaner fluid

- Swisswax Best Of Show (1 x application)

010710043.jpg

010710034.jpg

010710036.jpg

010710038.jpg

010710039.jpg

010710041.jpg

010710044.jpg

010710048.jpg

010710051.jpg

010710062.jpg

010710056.jpg

Thanks for looking

Blue

VERY smart :thumbsup: so is the private reg a clue for what he does for a living then ?

Nice work Blue.

It looks like they've extended the bonnet - maybe generated more room down by the radiator cooler group? Also, the question Big Kev will need answering before he orders one! Does the ride feel any smoother/softer than you T180 with those standard 18" wheels?

BTW yours has ESP you just can't easily switch it off.

CANNOT BELIEVE THAT ONE OF OUR RESPECTED MODERATORS HAS ALLOWED SUCH PHOTOGRAPHS TO APPEAR !!!!!

Here am I, much older than Blue, applying my first ever coat of Collinite Wax at great expense to my aging elbows and shoulders, thinking I must have the shiniest Rav in Ravdom, and this big Heelinder publishes these phoaties !!!

If ah was a modmerator, ah would have blocked thum.

P.S. Good health to The Da to drive for many years to come.

Big Kev McNoseootajoint. :thumbsup:

CANNOT BELIEVE THAT ONE OF OUR RESPECTED MODERATORS HAS ALLOWED SUCH PHOTOGRAPHS TO APPEAR !!!!!

Here am I, much older than Blue, applying my first ever coat of Collinite Wax at great expense to my aging elbows and shoulders, thinking I must have the shiniest Rav in Ravdom, and this big Heelinder publishes these phoaties !!!

If ah was a modmerator, ah would have blocked thum.

P.S. Good health to The Da to drive for many years to come.

Big Kev McNoseootajoint. :thumbsup:

Dave - the private plate is my mums name!

Anch - The revised bonnet & front grille is much better. It has 2 raised bonnet mouldings and alot more is visible when in driving position so gives a different feel to the car. In terms of drive I think from the 10 mins I had it is a lot more refined than my 2006 model. It felt quieter and smoother. I would say its a fair improvement over my T180 :crybaby:

BigKev - Collinite can be difficult to remove if left to long. Do 1 panel at a time, don't apply in direct sun or when panels are really warm and keep the layer applied thin as possible or it will clog your microfibre on removal. If your finding it really tough to remove go over the area again with the applicator. I apply 2 layers of collinite just before winter. It's one of the most durable waxes available and lets face it you dont want to be outside in -10 applying wax. The water just run offs and its far easier to keep clean. Some people say it works well on alloys - why not give it a go? If you want something a little easier on the old shoulders try Victoria Concours. Its application and removal is far easier than collinite. You can buy a half pot for £15ish and and it is a lovely wax. What it lacks in durability it makes up in looks and beading. At the price point these waxes are hard to beat imo.

Blue

Cheers Big Blue,

You got it in one.....clouded over so I applied first coat of Collinite, probably a bit too thick. Phone went....came back 20 mins later to sun back out, treated panel was like a griddle, and collinite was a nuisance to remove. Good point previously on using the detailing Mist Spray to remove the slight powdery residue the polish leaves.

I previously sang the praises of Meguiars wax on t'forum months ago, on to which the Collinite spread evenly without adverse reaction. I could have stayed up all night watching the water bead and cascade of this new stuff....it's like the mercury we nicked out of Chemistry lessons.

I have been entrusted soon to clay Bar / Polish / Finish a friends 2003 SL350 German Car Thing when he goes on holiday, so any tips PM me for a pint per paragraph (of ten lines or more....) IT'S BLACK (SOLID) IN COLOUR, AND BOWFIN'.

Big Kev :help:

That's very good work, for just 3 hours Blue. :thumbsup:

Don't forget the instructions to add a camera to your T180 sat-nav are pinned in the "hints and tips" at the top.

I got some Collinite ready to try on mine when it arrived in March. Think the weather was still a bit to cold to apply it. Was very difficult to remove (luckily only on a small area), so reverted to Megs. Might give it another go now it is a bit warmer.

One question: Have you any idea what the water to neat Snow Foam ratio is to get the full "snow mobile" effect? (I expect it is just a particular setting on your sprayer though? :unsure:).

(Went through Grantown last week! :thumbsup:)

That's very good work, for just 3 hours Blue. :thumbsup:

Don't forget the instructions to add a camera to your T180 sat-nav are pinned in the "hints and tips" at the top.

I got some Collinite ready to try on mine when it arrived in March. Think the weather was still a bit to cold to apply it. Was very difficult to remove (luckily only on a small area), so reverted to Megs. Might give it another go now it is a bit warmer.

One question: Have you any idea what the water to neat snow foam ratio is to get the full "snow mobile" effect? (I expect it is just a particular setting on your sprayer though? :unsure:).

(Went through Grantown last week! :thumbsup:)

Thanks shcm. I always recommend Collinite to friends because it's such a good wax that protects the paint so well and you get nice tight water beading. I always forget to mention that it can be hard work to remove :wacko: The trick is out of sunlight, apply thin and only do 1-2 panels at at a time. The Best of Show wax used on the above car is totally different - apply to whole car, leave for a good 20 mins or more and removes like a dream, it's so easy but then it's 4 times the cost.

For the Snow Foam it depends on what you are using to create it? Do you have a foam lance/pressure washer combo? If so, I use a 1 litre bottle and put about 2-3cm of Snow Foam solution at the bottom prior to filling it up with warm water. You can add a drop of APC or chosen product also if you require dependent on what finish you have on your car?

Were you in Grantown on holiday or business? I have seen a few Rav4's around here lately.... I think it's because I now own one I notice them more :thumbsup:

Ah can feel a wee bit of Eagles comin' on here....shcm drives down main street of Grantown....Blue Vortex spies him....

can anyone think of a title?

Big Kev :P

Ah can feel a wee bit of Eagles comin' on here....shcm drives down main street of Grantown....Blue Vortex spies him....

Big Kev :P

No.

that's a very B) car, have to keep my swmbo from this forum as her rav 4 is from 03 so she might fork out some serious £ :!Removed!:

that's a very B) car, have to keep my swmbo from this forum as her rav 4 is from 03 so she might fork out some serious £ :!Removed!:

Its a crackin car - worth every penny!

That is a stunning (and spotless! car). Just one question though, why did you clay the car? I always thought it was only to remove contaminants in the paint that get embedded over time and your Rav has only done 250 miles. I clayed my car and the results are amazing it is good stuff.

To partly pre-empt Blue's reply, it would amaze you how long some supposedly new cars are held in outside / compound storage after manufacture, and not sold or registered for months at a time. During this time they are naturally subjected to things like Volcanic Corruptions, Burds' Turds, and general airborne contaminants. This is why you now see so many cars on transporters verily covered in white sticky backed paper/film.

Washing only doesn't remove, and the use of a mild clay Bar is a good move.

(Didn't know most of this until ah met Bluevortex....ah think ah was happier before........)

Big Kev :thumbsup:

For the snow foam it depends on what you are using to create it? Do you have a foam lance/pressure washer combo?

Gilmour foam master II (?) is the thing I have for standard hose. (Also have a "Heath-Robinson" type arrangement for injecting car shampoo into a pressure washer @ high pressure :wacko:).

Were you in Grantown on holiday or business?

Hols. I suppose traditionally, coming across the Scottish border, I should really have been looking to do a bit of cattle rustling too. :D.

I'm clearly missing something obvious here. The only Eagles line I can think of is "Standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona (Grantown, Strathspey doesn't scan), such a fine sight to see..it's a girl, my Lord, in a flat bed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me."

Well sir, what an insult that is I must say! :angry: Are you suggesting I drive around in a Dearborn derived dustbin? (Impressive alliteration?). It's almost unforgivable. :yes:

As for the "girl" bit, well, yeah, OK - but I'm sure I've must have told you before that I only dress that way at weekends :unsure::lol: and I'm sure Blue's eyesight can't be that poor anyway! (I'm hoping that Local will lend me his Saturday pants again, if I promise to wash them before I give 'em back this time :unsure:).

Yes mister not so nano-metric of the Clan Kev, I demand satisfaction! (Then 30 seconds later, plus half an hour for a bit of a rest and a nice cuppa, I demand satisfaction again!) ;) :thumbsup:

Och Man But.....you're worse than ma fellow countryman, Boffy......New Kid in Town....?

Big Kev. :yahoo:

That is a stunning (and spotless! car). Just one question though, why did you clay the car? I always thought it was only to remove contaminants in the paint that get embedded over time and your Rav has only done 250 miles. I clayed my car and the results are amazing it is good stuff.

You would be amazed how badly some new cars are prepared. I am not having a go at the Toyota branch this was purchased from, in fact on 1st look (without an inspection lamp) it actually seemed not too bad. Unfortunately, the roof & bonnet were very rough to the touch and needed more work than a simple wash. A quality wax like best of show needs a super clean surface to be durable and look it's best! I would not apply unless this was the case. I can only assume the car had been sat somewhere for a number of weeks prior to delivery like BigKev rightly says & has picked up some contaminants

Blue

You would be amazed how badly some new cars are prepared. I am not having a go at the Toyota branch this was purchased from, in fact on 1st look (without an inspection lamp) it actually seemed not too bad. Unfortunately, the roof & bonnet were very rough to the touch and needed more work than a simple wash. A quality wax like best of show needs a super clean surface to be durable and look it's best! I would not apply unless this was the case. I can only assume the car had been sat somewhere for a number of weeks prior to delivery like BigKev rightly says & has picked up some contaminants

Blue

Ahh, I did wonder if that was why, I remember going to Upper Heyford a few years back and seeing all the MG/Rovers parked up on the airfield waiting to be sold/delivered and they were there for a while!

also bear in mind transport...

when working at safety kleen we had the body shop at avonmouth as customer and boy they needed to touch up some cars coming overseas with those ferries...

so to speak, brand new can have another meaning if you aks me :!Removed!:

Argument overheard at LOCAL car polishing / detailers.....

"Snowfoam....aye it is....snowfoam....aye it is...." Some of our South of Carlisle and onwards brethren may find this similar to a Giraffe's bum....it goes right over their heads. Off back to the Secure Wing now.....

Big Kev :lol::lol::lol:

Quality wax (that is not cheap) and snowfoam as well!!!!!! welcome to detailing heaven

Regards Tony

PS Stunning Rav

I guess we should welcome you to the er urban RAV (?) section :unsure:. Something tells me you possibly may know all about us already though. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the UC!