Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sudden Acceleration?

Norfolk n Chance

USER ERROR BLAMED FOR TOYOTA 'SUDDEN ACCELERATION'

It's the drivers, not the cars say investigators

Toyota_1-t.jpg

Proof that the culture of blame in which the US is steeped has gone too far: the US Department of Transportation has revealed that the majority of crashes involving the infamous runaway Toyotas were down to driver error.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the data recorders from dozens of Toyotas and Lexuses involved in crashes apparently caused by 'sudden acceleration' show that the throttles were actually wide open and the brakes not applied at the time of the accidents.

The implication of the early findings of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is that some drivers who claimed their cars surged forward actually hit the accelerator rather than the brakes.

The NHTSA's independent findings tally with Toyota's own view that the incidents were not caused by electronic throttle glitches - even though more than 100 people have sued the car maker, claiming just that.

Overall, the NHTSA has received more than 3000 complaints of 'runaway' Toyotas and Lexuses, including 75 fatal incidents. Only one of these fatal crashes has been attributed to a mechanical glitch - that was traced to a floor mat that forced the accelerator to remain depressed.

Toyota has admitted that there are problems with floor mats catching on accelerator pedals, and throttles that are slow to return to idle, and has recalled more than eight million vehicles worldwide since March to rectify any potential problems.

Toyota remains adamant that there are no defects in its by-wire throttle systems, a claim that has - so far - been borne out by the NHTSA's associate administrator for enforcement, Daniel Smith. "In spite of our investigations, we have not actually been able yet to find a defect in electronic throttle-control systems," Smith told a panel of the National Academy of Sciences last month. "We're bound and determined that if it exists, we're going to find it. But as yet we haven't found it."

The Toyota acceleration saga isn't pulling to a halt just yet, but the moral of the story seems to be this: if you want to stop, it's best not to hit the right-hand pedal...

wow after all that shock horror with the dips in stock value etc etc, wow, American's have now reached a whole new level of retardedness in my book..... :lol:

Bunch of Headless chickens........though that doesn't stop them squawking :censor:

You have to make allowances for Americans censored.gif

As we know the greater majority of vehicles in the US are automatic.... only two foot pedals yes.gif

The sad thing is with a choice of only two pedals to push they can still all too frequently get it wrong blink.gif

Maybe the 50/50/90 rule was invented over there..... it is - 'if there is a 50/50 choice then there is a 90% probability that they will get it wrong' rolleyes.gif

Don't we just love the Americanshuh.gif I know I do thumbsup.gif

It's not just the Americans, I know of a case over here where it has been proven the throttle was open 95% at point of impact. The newer models ECU can be interogated to see speed/throttle position/braking action at a particular point in time, a bit like a black box on an aircraft ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've never been convinced that there was actually a problem. My sister has been living in the US for 30 years. Sheused to be a sensible, level headed sort of girl but has gradually assimilated a US mentality. When she was over last year she was very impressed with my Prius and actually bought one when she went back. As soon as the idiot press in the States picked up on the 'problem' she called and asked if I had got rid of my 'death trap Toyota' and it wasn't till I pointed out that it was the latest in a long line of Toyota's that I've owned that she decided to drag up some of her old common sense and keep her Prius!

She still has it and is very pleased with it.

as it turned out, hers was never recalled either.

I've never been convinced that there was actually a problem. My sister has been living in the US for 30 years. Sheused to be a sensible, level headed sort of girl but has gradually assimilated a US mentality. When she was over last year she was very impressed with my Prius and actually bought one when she went back. As soon as the idiot press in the States picked up on the 'problem' she called and asked if I had got rid of my 'death trap Toyota' and it wasn't till I pointed out that it was the latest in a long line of Toyota's that I've owned that she decided to drag up some of her old common sense and keep her Prius!

She still has it and is very pleased with it.

as it turned out, hers was never recalled either.

Good to hear that you set her straight! :yes::rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links