Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TVIS 4A-GE 200BHP N/A Project

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi all,

My new engine project involves a second TVIS 4A-GE with a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor, the seven ribbed reinforced block and "light" crank and rods/pins.

I have decided to go for another TVIS (Toyota Variable Induction System) engine due to the "light" 40mm crank which weighs 11Kg and 18mm rods and pins, against the later engines' "heavy" 42mm crank and 20mm pins/rods. The fact that it has a MAP sensor means that the intake is less restrictive than a MAF (Mass Air Flow) and gives me more power from standard.

The lesser surface area and weight means that there is less inertia within the engine so she spins much more freely making it more suited to racing and much more responsive.

This next engine has been given to me by a member on the forum - couldn't thank him enough - complete with the C56 Ally Cap gearbox, and I am going to build it up over the next few years - along side my GTi - to 200BHP Naturally Aspirated. It will involve over £6000 worth of parts such as Spool H-Beam Forged Rods, Wiseco Pistons, ACL Bearings, EFI HardWare ITB's and much much more to help it grow to the magical 200BHP.

In this thread I will keep you updated on the progress of this engine project separately from my GTi, just to avoid confusion.

I will go and pick it up on the 7th August and will start stripping it down this summer to the bare block and head so that I can have them scanned and the Head ported and slightly polished.

Enter the Blue Top Project.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KPARRIS-JONES

• 4afte

• AE_92

• dawesy

Thanks mate, it will last a few years because of cash flow problems, it's hard to find work when you're 15.... :lol:

BUT I am stripping it down this summer. I'll post up tutorials as I do things and will start sending parts off to be powder coated from the off (thanks Dan52).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As a general note, I got into contact with HKS Europe to enquire about the compatibility between their Valve Springs and cams from another manufacturer seeing as they don't do 304 Degree cams anymore. They replied and told me that there is no obvious reason why they wouldn't work together. My concern was that the site stated their springs are designed to work with their own cams but I thought it was most likely a marketing trip. Can't hurt to enquire first, the last thing I want is to find a chuck of the Head on the road.

I have also made a list of the things I am painting and in what colour to help you get a better mental image of what I am making.

Following in Gloss Black;

1. PAS Pump Bracket

2. Alternator Bracket

3. Tensioner Pulley Bracket

4. Crank Pulley

5. Tensioner Pulley

6. Intake Manifold-to-Block Brace

7. Sump

8. PAS Pump Pulley

Following in Candy Blue;

1. Water Pump Pulley

2. Water Pipes (X2)

3. Engine Mount Brackets (X5)

4. Water Pipe Junctions (X2)

5. Starter Motor Heat-Shield

6. Drive Shaft Cover Plates

Following in Bright Silver;

1. Intake Manifold

2. Timing End Cover-Plate

3. Gearbox-to-Block Gasket Plate

4. Clutch Line

5. Thermostat Housing

Getting excited about this one now! :rolleyes:

very interesting cant wait to see this :thumbsup:

all the best dude. going to be a good read this.

you never know you might have it done before ive finished the rolla :lol:

Thanks, it'll be a good bit of fun I reckon and I am really looking forward to getting every little bit perfect.

Think I'll take pictures of when I take it out so that you lot have something to look at! :lol:

Hows the AE86 treating you? Sorted out those wiring issues yet?

all the best dude. going to be a good read this.

you never know you might have it done before ive finished the rolla :lol:

haha! Quite possibly yes... :lol:

Nah it will take a very long time because I have to get the money together to buy all the parts. Cheers, I hope that I can post up some good stuff fairy soon. :yes:

Here is a recent version of my parts spreadsheet:

Prices.png

There are a few other bits that need to be added in such as the clutch and painting which I haven't included yet. Ignore the HP rating that's bull, tried to play with a few formulas. :lol:

Thanks, it'll be a good bit of fun I reckon and I am really looking forward to getting every little bit perfect.

Think I'll take pictures of when I take it out so that you lot have something to look at! :lol:

Hows the AE86 treating you? Sorted out those wiring issues yet?

Yeah found out the starter motor was gone on it but its all good got like 3-4 spare's lying around :D

also fried the engine :( got abit too over exited on the motorway :crybaby:

Iam currently rebuilding the engine got all the parts and got all the machining work done just got to put it back together :yahoo: going to post a rebuild thread soon :thumbsup:

Here is a recent version of my parts spreadsheet:

Prices.png

There are a few other bits that need to be added in such as the clutch and painting which I haven't included yet. Ignore the HP rating that's bull, tried to play with a few formulas. :lol:

looking at your list I see you are missing some things you need engine gasket kit,new oil pump,new water pump,Hks oil pressure up kit,adjustable fuel pressure regulator,new timing belt,wide band o2 sensor,colder spark plugs,oil cooler etc there are other things but all depends on what you will be using the car for

things you wont need

Seimens 870cc injectors- are wayyy to much for the power you want something like 4agze 365cc or 7mgte injectors will be more than enough

walbro fuel pump-again too much for what you are doing, something like a supra or celica fuel pump would do fine

you will also need much higher duration cams as 254 and 246 is no good for 200bhp and under bucket shim conversion to

hope that helps :thumbsup:

Thanks, I knew about the cams (dky I put those figures, I knew I needed 304 the whole time :wacko: ) and gaskets etc, I still have the 0.8mm TRD gasket and they have been added to my list after I posted up. ;)

Didn't know that I'd need a Fuel Pressure Regulator, good that I can knock off the Walbro, some decent money saved there. Also same thing with the injectors, money saved, thanks. :thumbsup:

I don't think I need the under bucket shims until I go to 310 duration, 304 is fine IIRC.

Spark plugs and things aren't in the list, overlooked :lol: My list was really for the performance parts, service parts is a different category and the prices for them is within the £6000. :yes:

Are the Supra/Celica fuel pumps a direct fit? Are the 7M-GTE Injectors a direct fit?

I did say if not here then in other places that I would be replacing everything so that did include things like the water pump and oil pump etc. That list was a list of goodies. :drool::naughty:

That's really helpful info mate, thanks! :D

I do have pretty well all bases covered in other areas of my mind. :lol: ;)

PS: WHHHAAAAAAT!?! Damn... well, hope things go smoothly mate. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing the thread. Thanks again for saving me money. :D

i have a set of 440cc injectors off a st185 gt4 you can have kp, dont no if they will fit though

i have a set of 440cc injectors off a st185 gt4 you can have kp, dont no if they will fit though

Thanks mate, maybe you could send me some pictures to see what they look like?

I think I am correct in saying that my 4A-GE carries the 14mm O-Ring Bosch Injectors, so measure that to check. :D

How much would you want for them if they fit?

Thanks,

KP

I contacted Parts King for some prices for replacement parts:

Water Pump: £73

Oil Pump: £90

Gasket Kit £120

So £280 for replacement parts, I'll get myself a high output alternator if I can, they look cool and also give better power outputs for other things. Same goes for the starter motor. Money isn't really an issue with this project, I plan to take my time and enjoy it. :yes:

I have a feeling I may got to ECP for the gasket kits though, but I will get a genuine Toyota Oil Pump maybe a High Performance Water Pump.

I am going over board with certain things because I want to make everything perfect. :rolleyes:

Thanks mate, maybe you could send me some pictures to see what they look like?

I think I am correct in saying that my 4A-GE carries the 14mm O-Ring Bosch Injectors, so measure that to check. :D

How much would you want for them if they fit?

Thanks,

KP

will get you some pics weekend mate, you can have them for free i would as dawesy about fitment as im sure he will know :thumbsup:

I have contacted FENSPORT and asked them about their water pump. It is £40 against Toyota's £84 and they say that it will be fine going up to and over 200BHP so that is some good news.

I have also got some other things added into the list, only things mentioned that I don't have are the oil-cooler (looks like it will be £500 from HKS), injectors and the O2 sensor. I still want this to be a road car, sweet beast with a good punch to pack should someone choose to provoke.... :naughty:

Prices-1.png

Hopefully those injectors will fit! :lol:

Thank you to all those who help with this. :thumbsup:

i bought a walbro 255 pump off eBay for a celica gt4 for about £70 delivered it wasnt a direct fit but wasnt bad to fit at all as said it might be a bit over kill for what you want but it will save you £130 if you go down that root

Cheers, I'll probably go for a direct fit pump even if it is slightly over kill, keeps the options open if I go for more later on in its life. :yes:

Thank you for all your help guys!

Still looking for injectors as a back up if I can't get the ones sent to fit (I will give them back if they don't) and I am looking at the 440cc range for them.

However I am not sure whether to get high or low impedance injectors. Injector impedance describes the electrical resistance of the solenoid windings. These are usually grouped in two categories:

Low- 1.7 to 3.0 ohms

High- 10 to 16 ohms

The primary advantage of low impedance injectors is a shorter triggering time. When large injectors are fitted to high output engines, low impedance injectors will often give a better idle quality because of this fact. The primary advantage of high impedance injectors is the fact that less heat is generated in the drive circuit and often no external resistors are used.

I just can't tell if I should be using high or low, what is the standard resistance for the 4A-GE?

The price goes up...

Prices-2.png

Total is now resting at £6196 and it will creep a little higher.... it always does. :lol:

Alright KP, I havent been on much lately and you have started another thread that I will watch closely! :thumbsup:

Are you building this one to eventually go in 'FLUFFY' or have you got something else in mind?

Its always good to make a list of all the parts needed but when done I would divide the list into long-term and

short-term jobs as a list as big as this one will get can be a bit daunting after a few months, just a little

tactic I use to keep my sanity!

Good luck with the project! :thumbsup:

Hi mate, that's a good idea actually! I may just do that. Looks like I have 90% of what I need on that list, just trying to think of something else now!

Yes, this engine will be going into Fluffy (the AE92 GTi, for those who don't know) and it should have roughly 200BHP

Cheers bud, really looking forward to this. My birthday present to myself. :D

Just ordered in a Valve Spring Compressor, should be delivered this week:

VSC.jpg

Also looking out for an Engine Stand and an Engine Crane, should get the cash for my birthday :lol:

I wanted to ask you if you will using the car as a track car or road car? if your going to be using it on the track you should look into getting a fuel swirl pot(Fuel Surge Tank)

also was looking around on another forum and found this which kinda got me a bit worried :unsure:

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/4age-oil-sump---5-quarts-are-better-then-4________/t/10542

Looking to get it done to one of my spare sumps something you should look in to :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links