Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Explain The Main Differences In The Pre Cts And Facelift Cts?

Abz-ae92

Hello and a warm welcome everyone! Been a long time i havent been on forum.

I am planning on buying a Corolla T Sport. Budget is not a problem for me, i just need to know the differences between the pre face-lift models and face -lift CTS in terms of power, handling, relability etc..

I have previously owned a corolla ae92 few years ago absolutly awesome for my first car at 18, i really fancy a corolla CTS just in two minds which one to go for, I remember my 4a-ge block could handle anything you throw at it - bomb proof! How are the VVT-LI? can someone please help thanks.

Also i was wondering if the TTE Twin Exhaust for the CTS come as an optional extra if not where could i purchase one from as the TTE website is no longer available, also are they any better than stock exhaust, any Bhp gains over stock? Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abz-ae92

• nrgizerbunny

• Uber_Luke

• Clawliger

There is no difference power wise between the two, although I do think some engines might have more/less power than the 190bph from the factory, but nothing substantial.

The Facelift does have a few interior upgrade from the pre :- white dials, chrome pedals, black / red seats, Dark carbon effect interior as a pose to light grey, red interior lighting instead of red/green...erm there is a few more...

Exterior :- Different front bumper / grill / fogs, rear bumper plus spats, side skirts

Modification :- Front and rear strut braces with dampers, different brake pipes to allow for strut brace, lowering spring @ 15mm

The TTE backbox i'm sure is available from parts king ( the forums part salesman ) for £250ish. On paper it should show slight gains through been less restrictive, but many argue the fact it added BPH. Most , including me, bought it for the slightly deeper tone esp on de acceleration.

I have Moved from a Pre to a Facelift and prefer my facelift more...but Do not settle for a scruffy facelift over a immaculate pre facelift

personally i really didnt like the pre facelift, so i would say since you said budget isnt a problem go to every length to find a nice example of a facelift model.

If moneys no object. Then get a compressor.

But to help. I own a pre-facelift. Purely becauae the dacelift looks too much like a type r. And when pre's are slammed on coiloers. They look so noce.

Facelift also gets rain sensitive wipers, auto dipping mirror which is really useful I find and red lit interior dash lighting rather than green.

I find it handles better and the gear changes seem a lot smoother, probably as they have had the gear cable issue fixed. My pre-facelift also use to have the ECU lighting issue where the lights dipped when one of the air pumps kicked in, very annoying.

I still think my pre-facelift pulled harder, but it wasnt as heavy as it doesnt have all the above. Probably all in my head mind :)

if money no object, get the compressor.

A CTS is not a straight forward car to chip as the ECU is generally regarded as uncrackable so that leaves you to going to a piggyback or a standalone. - that is if you are into that kind of thing.

I prefer the pre face lift, just as i own one lol. But i prefer the look of it against the face lift.

Also i like not having auto windscreen and auto mirror, i likedoing those things myself lol.

As for being quicker i do not know i have only been a passenger not a drive in a face lift.

I prefer the pre face lift, just as i own one lol. But i prefer the look of it against the face lift.

Also i like not having auto windscreen and auto mirror, i likedoing those things myself lol.

As for being quicker i do not know i have only been a passenger not a drive in a face lift.

I know i said money isnt an issue i forget to mention im after something N/A . I guess im gonna pick up a facelift CTS as all the extra's sound appealing to me.I like the T sport especially the facelift due to the fact they are not as common as civic type R. I don't see alot of them about so i decided to pick a CTS, i loved my ae92, im sure the CTS has alot to offer no doubt.

Thanks for all the replies people! Highly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Facelift also gets rain sensitive wipers, auto dipping mirror which is really useful I find and red lit interior dash lighting rather than green.

I find it handles better and the gear changes seem a lot smoother, probably as they have had the gear cable issue fixed. My pre-facelift also use to have the ECU lighting issue where the lights dipped when one of the air pumps kicked in, very annoying.

I still think my pre-facelift pulled harder, but it wasnt as heavy as it doesnt have all the above. Probably all in my head mind :)

Thanks, any idea what the fuel consumption are like on these if you were to drive it sensibly? like on average what am i looking at ?

Yes auto dimming mirror is very useful! Agreed.

There is no difference power wise between the two, although I do think some engines might have more/less power than the 190bph from the factory, but nothing substantial.

The Facelift does have a few interior upgrade from the pre :- white dials, chrome pedals, black / red seats, Dark carbon effect interior as a pose to light grey, red interior lighting instead of red/green...erm there is a few more...

Exterior :- Different front bumper / grill / fogs, rear bumper plus spats, side skirts

Modification :- Front and rear strut braces with dampers, different brake pipes to allow for strut brace, lowering spring @ 15mm

The TTE backbox i'm sure is available from parts king ( the forums part salesman ) for £250ish. On paper it should show slight gains through been less restrictive, but many argue the fact it added BPH. Most , including me, bought it for the slightly deeper tone esp on de acceleration.

I have Moved from a Pre to a Facelift and prefer my facelift more...but Do not settle for a scruffy facelift over a immaculate pre facelift

Anyone have any black diamond disc on their CTS, What are they like? Help!! I think i might be getting some.

Anyone have any black diamond disc on their CTS, What are they like? Help!! I think i might be getting some.

They are known to crack after some time.

Can you drop me link for the TTE backbox, i've seen remus exhaust on eBay looks identical to the tte backbox going for around 300 mark, where can i get an original TTE backbox, what gains are we looking at for havin a tte backbox on? guessin 5-7 bhp? would appreciate your help m8! :drool:

Pre Facelift 02> 187 BHP

Facelift 54/05> 189BHP

I've seen these figures on parkers, assume its close enough. Can someone confirm if these figures are correct.

As far as i know there was no difference on power between pre and post facelift versions...

Parts King is your man for the TTE backbox... when i bought my car the salesman claimed the box added 4bhp.... this is unproven tho...

As Moderator i feel i should also offer an un-biased opinion over whether to go for a pre or post facelift CTS... so here it is....

Pre-Facelift's are rubbish, get a Facelift version :P

:lol: ;)

As far as i know there was no difference on power between pre and post facelift versions...

Parts King is your man for the TTE backbox... when i bought my car the salesman claimed the box added 4bhp.... this is unproven tho...

As Moderator i feel i should also offer an un-biased opinion over whether to go for a pre or post facelift CTS... so here it is....

Pre-Facelift's are rubbish, get a Facelift version :P

Ok Thanks everyone for your opinions, i've done some homework its time to splash out now, defo pick up a nice example Facelift model,

I guess with a K&N Typoon and TTE Backbox expecting gains approx 10bhp?

Anyone lined up a Ep3 K20 what are TS like next to them with a subtle mods? I wanna bury the k20's :yahoo: I know in the WT The TS has the edge.

:lol: ;)

Hey,

What are TS like with subtle mods against EP3 Type R ? I believe ep3 are 197 bhp standard. anyone met a ep3 on lights??

Pre Facelift 02> 187 BHP

Facelift 54/05> 189BHP

I've seen these figures on parkers, assume its close enough. Can someone confirm if these figures are correct.

I've heard this before, I dont think you would notice 2bhp to be honest. Its the same engine and as far as i can see - same everything else engine wise, unless they have twiddled with the manifolds internally.

My real interest is the weight, again this seems to vary where you look. Toyota themselves can't even get the stats right, there own specifications say that the bhp and the weight are the same between the two models.

I'm not sure what the pre-facelift weight is but my facelift manual reports that the gross weight is 1655kg, doesnt appear to have the kerb weight in there.

Fuel consumption seems to vary, depending on who you speak to and how its driven, where they drive. I only do short journeys in the week and a few long ones at the weekend, my facelift does 1mpg more at 33mpg and i've had 38mpg on a long motorway trip.

Good luck with your choice! facelift has my vote too, as far as out of the box goodness is concerned. (sorry pre-facelift people).

Why are you bothered what its like against a Civic Type-R? The Civic Type-R is the quicker car and is much more easily tunable if you want the quicker car you should get the Civic, personally I driven both and I much preffered the Corolla but then i'm not interested in willy waving and pub bragging rights

The pre and post have the same power, some sites claim a couple of BHP difference but in reality you will never notice it

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the suspension diffences, thicker ARB's, front strut, revised/lower suspension

Also, a back box is going to give a very slight barely noticable difference in power, buy one because you need one or want the sound and looks, buying one for a couple of BHP is a bit daft

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links