Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Vvti Slight Ticking Noise

bestseany

Hello

I bought a 2004 Avensis T-Spirit last week with 76k on it. It's got the 2.0 petrol engine in it.

When I bought the car it hadn't had a service for 16k miles, so I did a oil and filter change using genuine Toyota parts.

However, I've noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the cam area of the engine when it's idling. It's not a pinking noise, just a constant tick, it sounds like the injectors or something to me but I'm not sure.

Is this a normal noise for this engine?

EDIT - Here's a video of the noise.... My link

I've been doing some googling on this problem and the ticking appears to be a characteristic of the high pressure fuel injectors in the direct injection system.

Can anyone confirm this? It'll be a relief if it's just that :)

I've had my 2.0 vvti 2001 since new, and the sound you describe

has been heard from day one. I guess its normal for the engine.

It has a slight "diesel-ish" sound to it.

Hard to hear from the video, but the valve clearence could also be due

for inspection and adjustment.

I've had my 2.0 vvti 2001 since new, and the sound you describe

has been heard from day one. I guess its normal for the engine.

It has a slight "diesel-ish" sound to it.

Hard to hear from the video, but the valve clearence could also be due

for inspection and adjustment.

That's good to hear. I got worried when you mentioned valve clearances, but when I listened to a video on youtube with a Honda with its valve clearances out, it sounds more clattery and gets worse as you rev it. If anything, the ticking disappears as you rev my engine as the noise of the engine itself drowns it out.

I may take my Avensis to my nearest dealer to get it checked out anyway though, as my car's still under warranty from the garage I bought it from.

Hello

I bought a 2004 Avensis T-Spirit last week with 76k on it. It's got the 2.0 petrol engine in it.

When I bought the car it hadn't had a service for 16k miles, so I did a oil and filter change using genuine Toyota parts.

However, I've noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the cam area of the engine when it's idling. It's not a pinking noise, just a constant tick, it sounds like the injectors or something to me but I'm not sure.

Is this a normal noise for this engine?

EDIT - Here's a video of the noise.... My link

Hi mate, as others have said it's difficult to say due to general engine noise but, and this is a long shot .... could it be the sound of a HT lead or plug shorting out against the engine as it sounds like it to me???:unsure:.

Regards, Pete.

Hi mate, as others have said it's difficult to say due to general engine noise but, and this is a long shot .... could it be the sound of a HT lead or plug shorting out against the engine as it sounds like it to me???:unsure:.

Regards, Pete.

The 2.0 VVTi doesn't have HT leads mate, it has a coil attached to the top of each plug :thumbsup: