Do Not Sell My Personal Information

05 Avensis Clutch Pedal Squeak £700?

windy1

05 Avensis 1.8T2 petrol hatch.

Squeak/crunching sound from clutch pedal. Mr T bloke seemed to know exactly what it was - "upper clutch pedal pivot point needs lubricating".

Subframe to be removed, gearbox moved etc maybe 7 hrs labour!

I cannot believe Toyota designed a moving part needing occasional lubrication to require this amount of work to access it. Why not make a small inspection hatch somewhere to insert a grease gun, aerosol oil spray lube tube, whatever.

Anyone alternative suggestions to get some oil/grease into this part?

05 Avensis 1.8T2 petrol hatch.

Squeak/crunching sound from clutch pedal. Mr T bloke seemed to know exactly what it was - "upper clutch pedal pivot point needs lubricating".

Subframe to be removed, gearbox moved etc maybe 7 hrs labour!

I cannot believe Toyota designed a moving part needing occasional lubrication to require this amount of work to access it. Why not make a small inspection hatch somewhere to insert a grease gun, aerosol oil spray lube tube, whatever.

Anyone alternative suggestions to get some oil/grease into this part?

£700!!! !Removed! hell!!

I have 54 plate D-4D, and the clutch pedal has bee squeaking for a while. I tried to get under and spray everything I could with WD40, but couldn't find it! Last time at the garage I forgot to mention it. I wouldn't even pay £50 to have it sorted never mind £700!!

Hi mate if you don't want to do it yourself take it to another garage as you are getting ripped off big time! This problem is related to the pedal pivot bushes and/or the clutch master cylinder in some cases and I wouldn't expect a new master cylinder if fitted to cost more than £200.00. Both of these jobs DO NOT require the removal of the subframe or gearbox and will take about an hour to fix I suggest you speak to the service manager and ask him to explain himself.

good luck ..... Pete.

SAM29 - I'm not worried: nothing is going to break. Its just an irritation. Everything on this car has worked with quiet precision ever since I took delivery new so I have got used to a total lack of rattles and squeaks etc.... but that's why I bought a new Toyota !

Pete - That's sounnds much more helful advice than I got form Mr T and I will have that conversation with the management.

Meantime, is it possible to loosen the clutch master cylinder assembly and its associated piepwork and move it enough to access that pivot even if it means refilling and bleeding the clutch hydraulic cicuit?

SAM29 - I'm not worried: nothing is going to break. Its just an irritation. Everything on this car has worked with quiet precision ever since I took delivery new so I have got used to a total lack of rattles and squeaks etc.... but that's why I bought a new Toyota !

Pete - That's sounnds much more helful advice than I got form Mr T and I will have that conversation with the management.

Meantime, is it possible to loosen the clutch master cylinder assembly and its associated piepwork and move it enough to access that pivot even if it means refilling and bleeding the clutch hydraulic cicuit?

Hello again, I have attached a .pdf file of the complete clutch system, the first part shows all you need to know about the pedal assembly and more on the rest of the clutch if you or anyone else is interested. It clearly shows the pedal bushes which are arrowed on the relevant page

PS. If you can't open the file Adobe Acrobat Reader is available for free on the net from Adobe direct or use the well trusted CNET.

Regards Pete.:thumbsup:

Avensis clutch.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some very good info there :)

Thanks for that, I try my best mate!;)

Regards Pete

Can I jump in here, I assume the hydraulic clutch is self adjusing, My clutch pedal is well up before it engages, should I adjust the free play ?

or is this normal with the Avensis

Clutch pivot access:

Just had a look today at mine, there is a plastic panel with 2 screws holding it(Could be more)above the feet position, if this is removed the pivot is accessible.

Regarding my point, could someone please try their clutch and tell me if it bites when nearly out

700£? Is he out of his mind? I got my clutch squeaking too, actually it sounded like a 30-year-old mattress, and got it fixed just this weekend for 6£ in a small garage. It was coming from a spring (I guess the one that returns the pedal after releasing it) located behind that gray wall. It was hardly accessible from that 10x20 cm opening on the left side of the steering wheel (btw this is a left steered car!), but he finally managed to fix it through that hole. As far as I could see he used a long wire with some grease at the end and a very long, but small lamp again attached to a wire so that he could see in there. It took no more than 20 minutes.

I had this same problem and as the said above it was the spring. Remove the two screws on the panel below the steering wheel, put some grease on a brush and greast the spring where it attaches to the pedal and frame, also may be worth spraying some WD40 on the joints. Easy fix :yahoo:

There is smth else. There are two plastic bushes 31301Р(NO.1) and 31301Р(NO.2). You could see them in the picture. In a lot of cases they are worn out and need changing or at least lubrication. The thing is that it is very difficult to access them and toyota recomend removing all the front panels, includind the stearing weel. But if handy and strong you could doit without removing the pannels

post-104960-0-36920700-1297262389_thumb.

Can I jump in here, I assume the hydraulic clutch is self adjusing, My clutch pedal is well up before it engages, should I adjust the free play ?

or is this normal with the Avensis

No it should bite much further down, if it bites at the top, you cannot adjust it, you will need a clutch replacement at some time in the near future

Kingo :thumbsup:

i have had the same problem, it is coming from the clutch master cylinder the simple fix is. remove the panel from below the steering wheel it is held in by 2 screws and a clip, if you then look under at the clutch pedal you will see a push rod going through the fire wall, spray some 3 in 1 oil at the base of push rod problem solved. i was told before not to use wd40 has it contains solvent and can damage rubber parts im not sure if this is correct but im not taking any chances.

hope this helps

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i have had the same problem, it is coming from the clutch master cylinder the simple fix is. remove the panel from below the steering wheel it is held in by 2 screws and a clip, if you then look under at the clutch pedal you will see a push rod going through the fire wall, spray some 3 in 1 oil at the base of push rod problem solved. i was told before not to use wd40 has it contains solvent and can damage rubber parts im not sure if this is correct but im not taking any chances.

hope this helps

This really helps.. Thanks mate. fantastic forum!

• 10 months later...

There is smth else. There are two plastic bushes 31301Р(NO.1) and 31301Р(NO.2). You could see them in the picture. In a lot of cases they are worn out and need changing or at least lubrication. The thing is that it is very difficult to access them and toyota recomend removing all the front panels, includind the stearing weel. But if handy and strong you could doit without removing the pannels

Can you tell me exactly how? :)

• 2 years later...
On 08/02/2011 at 8:21 PM, davegooner7 said:

hope this helps

1 phillips screwdriver, 1 can spray oil and 1 minute time, worked an absolute treat!