Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav Update Update

stompe

Hi guys,

For all of you with a Prius T-Spirit there now is a 2011 update but get the catch it will cost you £140. I've spoken to Toyota GB and they wont do this free of charge which I think is bang out of order considering the debacle with the sat nav. You cannot get it done at a Dealers it has to be done by an Area Manager. I spoke to my Garage, Coronation at Kirby Cross, who also would not do it free of charge. Bearing in mind I have been with Toyota 35 years and bought 5 vehicles off of Coronation in the last 10 years, I will not buy any more. It seems to me coupled in with the oil fiasco and the sat nav debacle and being robbed of a 5 year warranty for being one of the first to buy the generation III Prius Toyota don't care about their Customer Service any more. I tried to get an answer on this link http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everything-you-need-to-know but it has been in moderation for 5 days. They do not want to post it because they are worried of the feedback for prospective new customers. You would think that with all the problems Toyota have had, they would look after us people in UK.

Stompe

:censor:

The Prius sat nav débâcle has been a disgrace. I have been following the posts here, on the Toyota blog and elsewhere since the car launched, and Toyota's response has been very disappointing. I've ordered a 2011 T Spirit in spite of the sat nav, not because I want it or rate it.

I might skip a year and get it done next years update :-) SatNav update I don't care about that much, but the GraceNote one I find more useful.

Mmmm, i'm happy with the satnav as it is, maybe in a year or so, we have a major road building project near us at rhe moment so no point in changing until thats been finished for at least a year!!

Hi Doesn't, think your find you got to have both mate! :wacko:

Yep I realise that, it was more the drive to me to get the update would be the Gracenote db rather than the satnav update. To me I am not that faced by road directions changing or a bypass appearing but might be different for others.

Although saying that, with all the trouble that we've been having with my vehicle and headset I might try and see whether I can get the dealer to updated it to 'fix' the audio problems blink.gif Considering they have no clue anyway.

Hi guys,

For all of you with a Prius T-Spirit there now is a 2011 update but get the catch it will cost you £140. I've spoken to Toyota GB and they wont do this free of charge which I think is bang out of order considering the debacle with the sat nav. You cannot get it done at a Dealers it has to be done by an Area Manager. I spoke to my Garage, Coronation at Kirby Cross, who also would not do it free of charge. Bearing in mind I have been with Toyota 35 years and bought 5 vehicles off of Coronation in the last 10 years, I will not buy any more. It seems to me coupled in with the oil fiasco and the sat nav debacle and being robbed of a 5 year warranty for being one of the first to buy the generation III Prius Toyota don't care about their Customer Service any more. I tried to get an answer on this link http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-prius-everything-you-need-to-know but it has been in moderation for 5 days. They do not want to post it because they are worried of the feedback for prospective new customers. You would think that with all the problems Toyota have had, they would look after us people in UK.

Stompe

I managed to get mine replaced as a warranty issue, after creating quite a lot of fuss. The SatNav data supplied was ridiculously old. As an example, a significant road I use frequently was opened in Febuary 2004. It is on the latest version of the map data, but was not on the hard drive of my September 2009 T_Spirit. This was far from the only example, my hard drive was filling with little dots I'd dropped where the roads were missing.

The SatNav update procedure is ludicrous. It takes around an hour to upload the replacement data from a laptop to the car. So a good hour and a half of my time at the dealer. I couldn't have it done at the same time as my service, because that was on a Saturday - and presumably Area Managers don't work on Saturdays.

Anyway, many thanks to Toyota GB for the update, but I do wish they'd volunteered rather than having to be pushed.

I think they will eventually have to give way on the early Gen III Weasel Warranties. A lot of people are going to realise that they have been taken for suckers sometime next year, with some high mileage cars later this year. There is going to be quite a lot of noise then from unhappy owners, and I suspect a few court cases.

If the current Prius is as reliable as Toyota suggest, they are going to gain some seriously negative PR at remarkably low cost. Or is the new Prius less reliable than Toyota are leading us to believe?

I've stopped submitting to the Toyota blog as they seem to be blocking anything remotely negative now.

Ancient, did you see Grumpy's post about the Prius cabs in Vancouver the other day??

Also some of us received in the post last week a letter changing the warranty terms... Confirming 8 years Battery and 5 years/100k normal....

Ancient, did you see Grumpy's post about the Prius cabs in Vancouver the other day??

Also some of us received in the post last week a letter changing the warranty terms... Confirming 8 years battery and 5 years/100k normal....

No letter here yet.

When did you buy your car. Was it during the relatively short time of the 3 year weasel warranty? If not, is Toyota merely clarifying the detail of your existing 5-year warranty?

If this is to be a general change, then many thanks to Toyota for seeing the light. However, it hasn't reached me yet.

And yes, the Toyota article was very interesting. However, those very high mileage cabs are likely to be Gen II (or even Gen I), not Gen III.

The Gen II (IMHO) was rather more solidly built than the current version, and there is a lighter Battery of higher capacity, but with the same chemistry as the older car. Also the motors give significantly more power, from less weight than the older car - hence the much lower torque. On this basis the long term reliability of the Gen III is still an unknown factor.

I presume as I'm buying a 2011 Prius I'm within my rights to ask that it comes with the 2011 update pre-installed at not cost ?

Jon

And yes, the Toyota article was very intersting. However, those very high mileage cabs are likely to be Gen II (or even Gen I), not Gen III.

Yes they were gen11 as far as i can remember, although wife and i diatinctly remember them as gen11 with the tail lights of the gen3 ! Different spec perhaps between uk and us versions....

As to Jons question, it won't hurt to check the version of satnav software when you pick it up!

Yes indeed come along with a print out from the satnav update site to show what the version numbers should be.

I put it in writing together with the request to have to reversing beep switched off at pdi.

Yep I realise that, it was more the drive to me to get the update would be the Gracenote db rather than the satnav update. To me I am not that faced by road directions changing or a bypass appearing but might be different for others.

Although saying that, with all the trouble that we've been having with my vehicle and headset I might try and see whether I can get the dealer to updated it to 'fix' the audio problems blink.gif Considering they have no clue anyway.

Hi Doesn'exist,

I have checked my sat nav version and it is 2010 ver. 1 and the gracenote is ver. 02421 which according to the sat nave site is out of date, but could you please tell me what the gracenote software does, I have never heard of it before.

Thanks.

Hi Doesn'exist,

I have checked my sat nav version and it is 2010 ver. 1 and the gracenote is ver. 02421 which according to the sat nave site is out of date, but could you please tell me what the gracenote software does, I have never heard of it before.

Thanks.

Grace note is where the music info is saved so that if you upload a CD into the car and the music is recognised then that info is automatically stored which saves you having to manually add the details.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Stompe

I managed to get mine replaced as a warranty issue, after creating quite a lot of fuss. The SatNav data supplied was ridiculously old. As an example, a significant road I use frequently was opened in Febuary 2004. It is on the latest version of the map data, but was not on the hard drive of my September 2009 T_Spirit. This was far from the only example, my hard drive was filling with little dots I'd dropped where the roads were missing.

The SatNav update procedure is ludicrous. It takes around an hour to upload the replacement data from a laptop to the car. So a good hour and a half of my time at the dealer. I couldn't have it done at the same time as my service, because that was on a Saturday - and presumably Area Managers don't work on Saturdays.

Anyway, many thanks to Toyota GB for the update, but I do wish they'd volunteered rather than having to be pushed.

I think they will eventually have to give way on the early Gen III Weasel Warranties. A lot of people are going to realise that they have been taken for suckers sometime next year, with some high mileage cars later this year. There is going to be quite a lot of noise then from unhappy owners, and I suspect a few court cases.

If the current Prius is as reliable as Toyota suggest, they are going to gain some seriously negative PR at remarkably low cost. Or is the new Prius less reliable than Toyota are leading us to believe?

I've stopped submitting to the Toyota blog as they seem to be blocking anything remotely negative now.

Hi Ancient,

I am with you on the Toyota Blog, I have had two comments now kept in moderation for over a week. They just don't like to be told the truth to put off potential customers. I am going to get back on to Toyota GB and really give them a blast about the Sat Nav issue. I think if we all stick together on this issue perhaps they will relent and give us what we rightly deserve, after all they have shafted us with the warranty the least they could do is come clean on the update for the sat nav.

Stompe

:angry:

What's the sat nav website URL to get the latest version number ?

Jon

S'okay ... found it - nasty flash site with no HTML version :-(

Hi Doesn'exist,

Thanks.

Grace note is where the music info is saved so that if you upload a CD into the car and the music is recognised then that info is automatically stored which saves you having to manually add the details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that head, I presume that if you go in for the sat nav upgrade that you automaticaly get the gracenote upgrade as well included in the £140 price.

Hi Guys,

It seems if you are controversial i.e. you post on the Toyota Blog site asking about the Sat Nav or whatever, they seem to black list you into getting the update free of charge. Put bluntly they do not like any negativity or truth about their vehicles. I have been refused the latest upgrade on the Sat Nav by Toyota GB and I have to pay but I will fight them all the way on this.

By the way I think you will find with the Gracenote the moment you buy a new CD or one that has been encrypted with DRM it does not seem to pick up on that.

Stompe

:thumbsup:

By the way I think you will find with the Gracenote the moment you buy a new CD or one that has been encrypted with DRM it does not seem to pick up on that.

Stompe

:thumbsup:

Gracenote is just a database of CD information (artist, tracks, etc.) and will only know about CDs that were out at the time it was compiled. So it is not surprising that it doesn't know about a new CD.

Surely non of us prius drivers are hip enough to have current quality chart cds like lady Gaga and the likes :-p

Surely non of us prius drivers are hip enough to have current quality chart cds like lady Gaga and the likes :-p

Absolutely!! She fits in well with Mozart, Alexandra Burke, Handel, Cher, Wagner, Leona Lewis etc....

- I just wish that the video's played on the car screen as well :crybaby:

, Wagner, Leona Lewis etc....

Is that Wagner of X Factor fame then? :eek: :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

, Wagner, Leona Lewis etc....

Is that Wagner of X Factor fame then? :eek: :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

oh gawd no :censor: I forgot about him!

Just to remind you

wagner-fiuza-carrilho.jpg

Sorry.........completely off topic :ban:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links