Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator Belt!

aygobye

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to change an alternator belt as mine came off the other day, have brought new belt and asked neighbours to help but they have seemed to make things worse, the bolt on the top pulley is out and i cannot get this back in to make the tension right. know it is a long shot asking on here but please if anyone can help that would be fantastic.

Thank you

Hi,

Petrol or diesel Aygo ?

If its a petrol aygo,your alternator should have a long tension adjusting bolt with its 12mm spanner size head sticking out , to see this look in the engine bay from the drivers side wing. Look at the lower side of the alternator and radiator and you will see the head of the adjuster bolt.

To adjust the belt tension you must first loosen off the alternator main bolt to engine block (top side of alternator), this is 14mm spanner size. Just one turn loose will do.

Next look at the adjusting bolt (the very long one), its fixed to a clamp/bracket,and the clamp/bracket is fixed to the engne block.

two 12mm size head bolts

slacken off the bolt on this clamp which is nearest to the front of the car , its fiddly to get to, slacken it off and then retighten it slightly only just finger tight.

Now work with the long adjusting bolt,pull the top of the alternator toward you with your hand (this will take up the slack in the belt) and with the other free hand tighten up on the long adjuster bolt.

Keep doing this until you get the correct tension, turn the belt by hand and when you have got it right, tighten the 12mm bolt on the clamp you had finger tight only, then tighten the 14mm main alternator bolt,the long 12mm adjuster bolt ?.... leave that as it should be right.

Dont be tempted to use a lever/prybar to get more tension on the belt by levering the alternator or pulleys, you should not need it and you could do serious damage to the alternator.

I think I might be due problems with this. Heard a whine coming from the engine bay over the last few weeks. Although it tends to go after a minute or two. Noticed the Battery light coming on last night when it was making the noise.