Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adding Door/puddle Lights To 4.2 Rav4

LeeADAB

Please could someone advise me as to how to connect up some lights in the bottom of the interior door panels. Like you get in golfs/audi etc.

I have no probs with fitting but which wires should I tap in to.

I'd like to power the light when I open the door as the interior lights do. I don't really want to trace wires all through the car, over the headliner to the interior dome.

Cheers

welcome to the forum!

You could probably pick up a feed from the fusebox down near the passenger footwell, or link to the dash lights. If you use LED lights the current won't need a relay.

That sounds like a plan.

Passenger footwell shouldn't be a problem to access. Do you happen to know which wires / colours would feed the interior lights?

I am going to use leds so the current won't be affected much. The interior lights are soon to be changed from 8w Festoons to 0.5w LED ones.

I had all the door cards off a while back when I replaced all the stock Speakers. That was a fun job!

In hindsight I should have done this project at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working out the wiring on the door lights before getting involved. Thinking about future and maybe changing back to 5w Festoon bulbs in the door lights and putting the 8W festoon back in the dome light. Would it be best to add a relay in the first place so that if I or someone changes back to standard then the wiring would be safe.

Please can someone advise me as to what i would need, wires to connect to and how to wire a relay for the door lights.

( Dome light > down the A-pillar > Front Doors > Puddle lights )

I would prefer now to take a feed from the dome instead of splicing into wires under the dash. That way I don't damage the stock wiring.

I'm sure this is an easy one but I just want to make sure I get it right first time. "if a jobs worth doing....!"

Does yer glove box have a light? If so then maybe thats the place?

Festoon lights and wet muddy stuff don't go together. LEDs are more robust.

You can pick up a simple relay from halfrods or any motor accessory shop, mapolins etc etc. Connect the feed and the switch wire and then the load. I think the relays also come with the simple wiring diagram if you need. schm will be along cos he lives in England somewhere so can't be far away! :lol:

Thanks Bothwell-Buyer,

Unfortunately no light in the glove box. Ok so lets say I stick with LED forever - the most likely scenario anyway. Ignoring relays and take a wire from the dome light switched live wire down the a-pillar to the puddle light then the other connection on the puddle light to a grounding bolt in the door?

Thanks Bothwell-Buyer,

Unfortunately no light in the glove box. Ok so lets say I stick with LED forever - the most likely scenario anyway. Ignoring relays and take a wire from the dome light switched live wire down the a-pillar to the puddle light then the other connection on the puddle light to a grounding bolt in the door?

Hi Lee, did'nt get post sent properly. gettin old! It'll work fine from the dome light,just a bit fiddly getting the wire through the roof lining. u can bend a piece of wire like a hook and pull the wire through easily enough here's a pic of the finnished job. (hope it works this time!

post-93418-0-78155200-1300103312_thumb.j

Thanks Bothwell-Buyer,

Hi Lee, did'nt get post sent properly. gettin old! It'll work fine from the dome light,just a bit fiddly getting the wire through the roof lining. u can bend a piece of wire like a hook and pull the wire through easily enough here's a pic of the finnished job. (hope it works this time!

Good on ya Baz.....PUDDLE LIGHTS THAT SHINE UPWARDS....so Oban gets anti-gravity rain noo, eh.....?

Big Kev :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Bothwell-Buyer,

Good on ya Baz.....PUDDLE LIGHTS THAT SHINE UPWARDS....so Oban gets anti-gravity rain noo, eh.....?

Big Kev :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heyyyyyyyyy Big Kev!naw kev , the rain in Oban jist goes HORIZONTAL :lol: .no upward motion at !all . anyway the principal's just the same, exept he wants his on the door .I think :blink:

Thanks Bothwell-Buyer,

should be ok

All Done!!

Removed door panels and removed Speakers to get access to the inner door.

1Small.jpg

Threaded cables through headliner from B-Pillar drivers side to the interior dome light. Connected to either side of the lamp holder in parallel. Had to pull away the door seals front and back, remove rear Grab handle & plastic holder for cargo net, Also pulled away the sunroof edging trim away to release the headliner enough.

2Small.jpg

Ran the cables down the B-Pillar, under the plastic threshold sill and into drivers door via the concertina rubber grommet. The other cable followed the same route and then ran under the carpet and through the lower dash to the passenger door.

Had to remove the corner clip support from the back of the door with the dremel and cut the holes via templates i made. Measure 50 times then cut!

3Small.jpg

Fitted the lights in place. This is where I realised that they didn't sit properly as they were flat and the door slightly curved. A 2mm neoprene mousemat was soon canibalised and became the new seal/gasket.

4Small.jpg

This is them fully fitted into the door panels!!

5Small.jpg

With all the connections soldered / crimped and heatshrinked this is the final result which I am REALLY pleased with. The photos don't do it justice. No more stepping into the darkness!!!

6Small.jpg

7Small.jpg

8Small.jpg

All Done!!

Removed door panels and removed speakers to get access to the inner door.

1Small.jpg

Threaded cables through headliner from B-Pillar drivers side to the interior dome light. Connected to either side of the lamp holder in parallel. Had to pull away the door seals front and back, remove rear Grab handle & plastic holder for cargo net, Also pulled away the sunroof edging trim away to release the headliner enough.

2Small.jpg

Ran the cables down the B-Pillar, under the plastic threshold sill and into drivers door via the concertina rubber grommet. The other cable followed the same route and then ran under the carpet and through the lower dash to the passenger door.

Had to remove the corner clip support from the back of the door with the dremel and cut the holes via templates i made. Measure 50 times then cut!

3Small.jpg

Fitted the lights in place. This is where I realised that they didn't sit properly as they were flat and the door slightly curved. A 2mm neoprene mousemat was soon canibalised and became the new seal/gasket.

4Small.jpg

This is them fully fitted into the door panels!!

5Small.jpg

With all the connections soldered / crimped and heatshrinked this is the final result which I am REALLY pleased with. The photos don't do it justice. No more stepping into the darkness!!!

6Small.jpg

7Small.jpg

8Small.jpg

Well done Lee :yahoo: They look really good!nice pics!

Excellent mod. That's how it should have been in the first place :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links