Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Transmission Issue

NAS777

Hi All

I have picked up Toyota Auris 2007, 1.4 D4-D, MMT transmission

When i try to move the car from parking position un E mode, the car does not move when i take my foot off brake, it only moves when i press accelerator. Just want to know if it is normal or is something gone wrong, as i recently bought it i should be able to claim through warranty

Thanks

Well I have a Corolla with MMT and if the car is on the flat it will always move forward when the foot is taken off the brake, no pressure on the accelerator pedal is needed, I would think the Auris MMT works the same.

Hi

My Mum used to have a 54-plate Yaris 1.0 litre with MMT. And no, when you selected E the car did not move forward when you took your foot off the brake. It didn't move at all. It's a clutchless manual, and not a CVT auto transmission which does move forward, so the engine just adjusted to prevent stalling. Autos, CVT, always seem to move forward. I find this with my Auris HSD (see I'm in the club...so to speak). Two problems I found with the MMT is that you have to take your foot off the acclerator to let the car auto-select the correct gear for your speed, and, secondly, if you live in a hilly area and drive in auto (E) mode then it is downright dangerous. That why I got rid of my Mum's Yaris and went with a full auto transmission supermini from another manufacturer. Sorry, but I have little faith in the MMT gearbox,....a flappy-paddle DSG gearbox it is not.

Cheers

Dave

Is it right, is it normal...

You have discovered it goes into limbo between taking the foot off the brake and pressing the accelerator, now try it on a slope like a ramp in a multi-story car park - rolls back like a learner driver.

There are a couple of solutions, use the hand brake, but if you are short this is not possible because the seat is in the way (Toyota have a mod for this), the local garage suggested pressing brake and accelerator in this situation to my short wife.

Other comedy, tune to a moderate strength FM radio station, listen to the gear chages breaking up reception (Toyota have a mode for this too).

Check you got the recent recall for going into neutral done.

I find it gets stuck in first sometime too, but Toyota will not ack that one yet.

My MMT Yaris creeps forward once the footbrake is removed,(on the flat) as, according to the handbook, it should. The same for E, M and R. No doubt the Auris is the same? The clutch partially engages for "start assist" or whatever they call it. To prevent premature clutch wear it's necessary to accelerate for the clutch to fully engage. I found it excellent for a really smooth take off in the snow and ice of late last year.

Hill starts are a doddle too, into E/M with handbrake and footbrake on, release footbrake and press accelerator gently until you feel the "bite" then release handbrake.

I suspect both your Auris and Dave's Mum's Yaris require(d)a clutch reset at a dealer's?

Thanks for the reply, still confused, i called Toyota and they said it is normal that the car move backwards on inclinde in E mode, which in theory means that even on flat surface the car will not creep forward if brake is released?

I assume by "on an incline" you mean front higher? Yes it will roll backwards because the clutch is only partially engaged (slipping)but will or should move on the flat. Gravity due to the slope plus rolling resistance has overcome the slipping clutch. Whereas on the flat it's only the rolling resistance. I'm sure you already know it's bad practice to hold the car on a hill using the clutch rather than the handbrake.

If the Auris handbook is like the Yaris edition then it should all be explained including hill starts, creeping forward and leaving in either E or R when parked on an incline depending which way the car is facing.

I think we can say that the Yaris, Corolla, Auris all have "Start Assist System" and on the flat the vehicle will move forward by itself when you take your foot off the brake pedal, on a hill it may well roll backward and you could do damage to the clutch if you try and hold it on a slope using the starting assist, you will hear a warning bleep. If your car does not move forward on level ground take it back to the garage and quote what the manual says "This vehicle has a starting assist system and helps the vehicle to start smoothly by engaging the clutch.When the selector lever is in position "M", "E", or "R" the vehicle starts slowly without depressing the accelerator"

Can some please tell if the recalls on corolla verso MMT gearbox have sorted the "N" problems because i have bought verso 2005 plate with this problems, i have taken the car to a dealer.The cost to fix is 2400 pounds.My car has not been for recall. I hope they will fix it for free.

• Like 1

I had never noticed the problem, but they took it in and fixed it. I am hoping it fixes the stuck in 1st issue.

Of course it took 2 tries, they didn't have the parts first time!!!

It is big job, 7 hours inthe workshop as the gb has to come out, perhaps they are staggering the recalls.

Chris

Can some please tell if the recalls on corolla verso MMT gearbox have sorted the "N" problems because i have bought verso 2005 plate with this problems, i have taken the car to a dealer.The cost to fix is 2400 pounds.My car has not been for recall. I hope they will fix it for free.

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I have picked up Toyota Auris 2007, 1.4 D4-D, MMT transmission

When i try to move the car from parking position un E mode, the car does not move when i take my foot off brake, it only moves when i press accelerator. Just want to know if it is normal or is something gone wrong, as i recently bought it i should be able to claim through warranty

Thanks

A Multimode manual car has a clutch instead of a torque converter. As such, gear changes are noticeable, and the car rolls backwards when on an up-sloping incline.

• Creeping: A Multimode Manual Car creeps forward when the brake pedal is released and accelerator is not depressed, like an automatic car. This is achieved via partially engaging and slipping the clutch.

• Moving off from an incline: A MMT car rolls backwards when on an up-sloping incline, unlike an automatic car. To move off from an up-slopping incline, apply handbrake before depressing the accelerator slightly. Do not hold the car on an incline by depressing the accelerator pedal, as the slipping clutch will overheat and lead to clutch damage.

• Parking: Unlike an automatic car, the P gear is absent in a MMT car. The car should be parked in the following fashion. In an up-slopping incline, put the gear to M1, or E, apply handbrake, and switch off the engine. In a down-slopping incline, put the gear to R, apply handbrake, and switch off the engine. On level ground, put the gear to R, apply handbrake, and switch off the engine. R or E/M1 substitute the P function in a full automatic.

• Moving off from Park: The engine can only be started with the gear in N. To start, switch on the car to ON position (this releases the gear lock), depress brake pedal, put the gear to N (from either R or E/M1), and switch on the engine.

• L/1 and 2 gears in a full automatic: The MMT does not provide L/1 and 2 gears as in a full automatic. One action of the MMT system is that it detects the gradient of the slope that the car is situated in. On a down-slopping incline and if the brake pedal is depressed, it automatically selects a lower gear to produce engine brake, which has the equivalent effect of L and 2 gears in a full automatic. L and 2 can also be substituted with E1 and E2 (not available in Aygo) or M1 and M2 gears in a MMT car. To select E1 or E2, put the gear to E, and use + and - pedal flaps on the steering wheel to override the computer selection. E will change to E1/E2/E3/E4/E5/E6, depending on the gear selected. Downshift to E1 or E2 as appropriate to simulate L and 2 gears in a full automatic. To select M1 or M2, put the gear to M, and use M- gear to downshift the gear to M1 or M2.

• Kick-down: In E mode, the kick-down function in a full automatic can be similarly activated in an MMT car. Additionally, the kick-down function can be manually activated using the - pedal flap on the steering wheel in E mode. This overrides the computer setting and E changes to E1/E2/E3/E4/E5/E6. To stop the manual override under E mode, pull and hold the + flap on the steering wheel, until the E1/E2/E3/E4/E5/E6 changes back to E. Alternatively, wait for the next computer activated gear change.

• Reverse: The car reverses as in an automatic car. To reverse, depress brake pedal, and change the gear to R. Gradually lift off the brake pedal to allow the car to creep backwards. On a down-slopping incline, the creep function, simulated using the slipping clutch, is not sufficient to prevent the car from rolling forward. In this case, the car must not be held still using the accelerator pedal, as the excessive clutch slipping will lead to clutch damage. Handbrake should be instead applied, and the accelerator pedal should be depress slightly.

• Gear change: The gear change in MMT is noticeable, unlike in a full automatic car. Under E gear, the car will automatically change the gear depending on speed and gradientinformation. It is recommended that the accelerator pedal should be momentarily lifted off during gear change. A constant throttle can also be maintained on the accelerator, and gear change can still occur, although the car will feel noticeably more jerky during gear change than in a full automatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimode_manual_transmission

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links