Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Cooling System Problem

burly

Hi all,

Really hope I can some answers here. I have 2007 Toyota Avensis D4D (2.0 litre diesel)

About 2 months ago, I was driving from Waterford to Dublin. heating system started acting funny, i.e one minute im getting warm air, then cold, then warm. I came to a stop at the lights at Newlands Cross (first stop since Waterford, 150km away) and as I stopped, I could hear the cooling fan was on. (couldn't hear it when driving on motorway, so not sure when it turned on). I kept going to my destination in Dublin, and after the car cooled down a bit, I popped the bonnet and checked the coolant reservoir-it was empty, much to my shock as I had just gotten it serviced in late 2010.

Obviously the fan had come on because the coolant had run out right?

So I topped up the coolant reservoir again and carried out for a few more weeks, no sound of fan for a while and then the same thing happened, Fan came on, coolant completely empty! Except this time, there was no problems with the heating system except that I think im not getting the same 'burst' of air through the heaters.

Something seriously wrong there right? I'm thinking its a leak, so bring it to mechanic, who does a pressure test on the system.

Pressure test shows no sign of a leak and he cant find any evidence of a leak either, so he tells me to keep an eye on it.

So its happened again today. Mate of mine tells me the Avensis had an issue with a faulty impeller in the pump that pumps the coolant, and coolant can be leaking out the back of the pump around the propeller or something like that??

Anyone got any clue whats going on?? Or had similar experiences?

Is it a problem with the thermostat? Airlock? Impeller blades in water pump?

Why would I be losing a serious amount of coolant but no leaks are showing up?

Thanks

Nobody seems to have mentioned possibility of blown cylinder head gasket....?

If I'm wrong, I'll be nearly as pleased as you to hear it !!!

Big Kev :thumbsup:

if its as BIG KEV suggests it is possible,then the coolant could be going out the exhaust.

and may only be doing it when engine is up to full temp,so when your mechanic tested the pressure the engine may have cooled enough to stop the coolant loss.

hope the problem is not your head gasket,and it turns out something easier and cheaper to fix.

i think i read somewhere that this problem can fixed free of charge by toyota as its a knowen fault.

but i am sure that others on these forums will be able to advise you better than i.

Hi mate, the water pump is an issue with the 2006 onwards D4D engine so get it checked out, the head gasket is more of an issue with the 2.2D4D so keep your fingers crossed yours is ok, the tell tale signs is pink/white specks of Toyota antifreeze on the black plastic engine cover where as the water pump throws it out underneath the engine.

Pete.

Hi mate, the water pump is an issue with the 2006 onwards D4D engine so get it checked out, the head gasket is more of an issue with the 2.2D4D so keep your fingers crossed yours is ok, the tell tale signs is pink/white specks of Toyota antifreeze on the black plastic engine cover where as the water pump throws it out underneath the engine.

Pete.

uh oh, looks like ive a head gasket problem so.

I went out and took some pictures under the bonnet, and these look a lot like 'white/pink specks of antifreeze on the engine cover'.

Pics here.

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/dsc09648i.jpg/#

http://img849.imageshack.us/i/dsc09650.jpg/

Can you confirm? Are u 100% its likely the head gasket?

hi guys any more info on this thread? not liking the look of them pic's as ive had the same issue in the last 2 weeks with my 56plate Avensis 2.2d4d done 121k, i had the car checked to find that the thermostat would not open and was stuck at 32degrees and the other pipes were reading 70+degrees, since changing the thermostat all the readings are correct 70+degrees, now there is still a loss of coolant but its not splattered all over the covers like it was the 1st time as in those pic's above..

hi guys any more info on this thread? not liking the look of them pic's as ive had the same issue in the last 2 weeks with my 56plate Avensis 2.2d4d done 121k, i had the car checked to find that the thermostat would not open and was stuck at 32degrees and the other pipes were reading 70+degrees, since changing the thermostat all the readings are correct 70+degrees, now there is still a loss of coolant but its not splattered all over the covers like it was the 1st time as in those pic's above..

Im sending the car in for a check tomorrow. Spoke to the mechanic on the phone yesterday, told him the symptoms. he told me that if the car is not over-heatng, and the heater in the cab is still working then the head gasket should be ok. He reckons its the water pump, but time will tell. I just dont like the way the car feels lately, I feel something is not right.

Anyway, Il report back when I hear form the garage tomorrow!

Fingers crossed.

I too still had heat in the cab with the old thermostat, btw i have also changed the cap on the expansion bottle for a new item cost just short of £13 thats with trade discount from Toyota, i bought the thermostat from my local motor factors on a Sunday for £12 and thats a Blueprint item , i rang Toyota today and got a quote for the water-pump just short of £85 with trade discount.

heads up if you have the water pump replaced then may be a good idea to have a new thermostat & expansion bottle cap fitted too at least you know they have been done and if the problem continues then its defo the head gasket, btw there are 5 grades/types of head gasket that Toyota do the cheapest head gasket set iirc about £27 and the better thicker type (steel one) the more money.

Hi guys, just thought id share the latest on the car.

Turns out the problem is indeed the HEAD GASKET...I'm sickened. So here's the story.

My mechanic tells me its the head gasket this morning. I rang 3 local Toyota Dealers and asked them have they had similar problems reported, and they all had 2-3 cars in for head gasket replacement in the past year. I rang Toyota Ireland, and their OFFICIAL line was they don't normally fix these outside of warranty, but that I can bring the car into a Main Dealer, who will assess the head gasket and apply to Toyota Ireland for an 'OUTSIDE WARRANTY REPAIR'.

Toyota denied this was a known fault and denied there was any extended warranty on the head gaskets. But they kind of hinted that they might look at it if I had a full service history from a Main Dealer. I only have the car for about 30km, and got it serviced after 15000km, but not by a Toyota garage unfortunately.

So the car is going into the Main Dealer on Monday for an assessment and they will apply to Toyota for the outside warranty repair, so here's hoping for a positive result. I will let you all know what happens.

Fingers crossed again.

Hi guys, just thought id share the latest on the car.

Turns out the problem is indeed the HEAD GASKET...I'm sickened. So here's the story.

My mechanic tells me its the head gasket this morning. I rang 3 local Toyota Dealers and asked them have they had similar problems reported, and they all had 2-3 cars in for head gasket replacement in the past year. I rang Toyota Ireland, and their OFFICIAL line was they don't normally fix these outside of warranty, but that I can bring the car into a Main Dealer, who will assess the head gasket and apply to Toyota Ireland for an 'OUTSIDE WARRANTY REPAIR'.

Toyota denied this was a known fault and denied there was any extended warranty on the head gaskets. But they kind of hinted that they might look at it if I had a full service history from a Main Dealer. I only have the car for about 30km, and got it serviced after 15000km, but not by a Toyota garage unfortunately.

So the car is going into the Main Dealer on Monday for an assessment and they will apply to Toyota for the outside warranty repair, so here's hoping for a positive result. I will let you all know what happens.

Fingers crossed again.

Hi mate, just make sure that you know exactly what they are going to charge you for this "assessment" as I have heard some horror stories on the subject of assessment charges.

Good luck anyway .... Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

hi its definatley a head gasket i got the same problem only difference is i got 112k milage and i got the full service history with toyota.i have'nt applyed for warranty repaired yet because its just happend to me.does it covers under toyta warrenty because its a common fault?,i got no clue what to do? so, please let me know what are they going to do with your prob. thanks.

to the above you have too many miles on your car to claim........ouch big repair....

to burly it will be covered under warranty...you will end up with a new block 4 new pistons and rings and a new head comon problem and i my self have done a few of these..

also check your coolant bottle...you will prob notice the coolant bottle has a tint of black to it..

Isn't the old 'creamy yoghurt on bottom of oil refill cap' the best guide to a head gasket problem? I've got a few pale spots on the engine cover and the coolant needs topping up every 1000 miles or so, but there's no 'yoghurt' on the filler cap (crosses fingers!)

Thanks

M

Hi all,

Just thought id share with you all the latest news.

All you can see above, the problem was definitely the head gasket.

So the first Toyota dealer i went to in my home town said the actual head itself could be cracked, but that they couldn't be sure without opening up the engine. They said I would need to spend €700-800 for them to open the engine completely and be able to do a full report to Toyota to apply for the 'OUTSIDE OF WARRANTY REPAIR'.

I was faced with the dilemma of paying €1500 on just a head gasket repiar and taking a gamble that the head itself was okay, but if the head wasnt ok, i was looking at €3500. Obviously this dilemma stressed me out, and I toyed with the idea of trading it in for the 1.6 petrol model for mental health reasons!

The Toyota dealer wanted €1500 plus my faulty diesel Avensis for a petrol model of same age but with only 34k on the clock. I drove the petrol and it wasn't a patch on the diesel, no comparison, but i was tempted to take them up on their trade in offer because I needed a car for work, and tho whole saga was really stressing me out.I even had a look at a Passat and Octavia, but I was getting no value because I was trading in a faulty car.

However something just didnt feel right I decided to get a second opinion.

I drove the car 30 miles away to the next Toyota Dealer in another town. A lovely mechanic, in his sixties who I had spoken to on the phone checked the car over for a half an hour. he confirmed the head gasket failure and also raised a possible cracked head too. However (and this is the key point) they were prepared to make the application to Toyota on my behalf for an 'OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIR' without having the engines opened up and charging me 700-800 quid. However they said I had to have the service history. So I got all the service history together. It was serviced up to 80,000km with toyota main dealers, and then from 80km to 130km, it was serviced by various independent garages. It was all I had and I decided to go ahead and make the application to Toyota through the other dealer and hope for the best.

And the result?

The very next day, Toyota Ireland emailed the dealer, to say they were covering the cost of the repair!!! YEEESSSSSS!!! I was so delighted. A weight was lifted off my shoulders. The car is going in next week for new head, block, pistons, rings, gasket, water-pump as well as thermostat and air conditioning checked over aswel. I will essentially be getting a new engine.

The moral of the story is. GET A SECOND OPINION, and dont give up.

Toyota know full well they have a problem here with the D4D, and in fairness to them they are covering it. They will tell you on the phone that they wont, but get a local dealer to make the application for you and you have every chance of being successful.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will post again when the car is fixed,a nd let you know how its running.

Isn't the old 'creamy yoghurt on bottom of oil refill cap' the best guide to a head gasket problem? I've got a few pale spots on the engine cover and the coolant needs topping up every 1000 miles or so, but there's no 'yoghurt' on the filler cap (crosses fingers!)

Thanks

M

If your getting spots on the engine cover, and your having to top the coolant up, sounds like you have the same problem I did. The coolant loss will get worse, trust me. Mine started off with a small loss, and grew and grew.

My advice: Get it checked out. Whats the mileage?

hi its definatley a head gasket i got the same problem only difference is i got 112k milage and i got the full service history with toyota.i have'nt applyed for warranty repaired yet because its just happend to me.does it covers under toyta warrenty because its a common fault?,i got no clue what to do? so, please let me know what are they going to do with your prob. thanks.

My mileage was 130km and didn't have a full Toyota history. You should apply for an 'OUTSIDE OF WARRANTY REPAIR' though your local Toyota Dealer and hopefully you will get sorted. get a second Toyota dealer opinion if needs be. Dont let them charge you anything for doing the assessment.

As PETE said above, he 'e heard some horror stories about these assessments.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just an update to say I got the car back. Toyota covered EVERYTHING!

Car is driving like new again.

Well done to Toyota Customer Service. First Class.

• 5 months later...

to the above you have too many miles on your car to claim........ouch big repair....

to burly it will be covered under warranty...you will end up with a new block 4 new pistons and rings and a new head comon problem and i my self have done a few of these..

also check your coolant bottle...you will prob notice the coolant bottle has a tint of black to it..

Hi Ormi,

I have been reading all these posts, particularly burly with interest as I have the same problem on my Jan 2006 D4D 2.2 T Spirit. It has 90,000 on the clock and up until now has been a great car, that is until the loss of heating, loss of coolant and subsequent head gasket problem. It seems to be a common fault with this engine. From the sound of some of the posts here it could be very expensive. Can you give me any advice as to what to do and what is the current situation regarding extended warranties for head gaskets?

Thanks.

no it wont be expensive for you mate....it will be free just get it in to toyota and you'll get a new engine.....woopwoop...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2007 D4D on 99k miles which I bought specifically because I wanted a steady reliable car after a few years with an unreliable expensive SAAB. For the last 8 months I went through a phase of a little coolant loss with me topping up 1 litre every month, then replacing the rad cap, then recently a more significant coolant loss where I ended up putting in 2 litres after a 400 mile trip. This got me worried as I realised that I'd have to fix the problem rather than just live with it. Bit of searching on this forum yielded the gem that Toyota may cover the repair if it was the head gasket up to 112k miles. As I'd bought an ex-fleet car with a good service history I thought I had a good chance. Took it into Toyota Derby on Wednesday for a coolant pressure test. Got the dreaded phone call in the afternoon that it was the head gasket and they needed to keep the car immediately to do the work. But it was all free under the Extended warranty, no questions about service history asked. Got the car back today (Friday) at 5pm with a new partial engine, all done in less than 3 days which I thought was very good. And they washed and vacuumed the car (it was particularly filthy inside after a few weekends of bringing bits of pine tree and plasterboard to the recycling centre)!

I was very impressed with Toyota's level of care and warranty, as other posters have said, most other manufacturers would not entertain this level of care. I am also grateful to previous posters who highlighted the extended warranty - realistically I wouldn't have gone to Toyota without their advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links