Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Pedal Vibration? Anyone Have A Deffinitive Answer?

Adam-Up

I know it's been covered quite a few times, but each time there's been no deffinitive answer as to what causes it and how to fix it?.

Iv read through all of the ''clutch pedal vibration'' threads and there's been a few who have taken their t sports in to the dealers to try to diagnose and fix the problem. Some have had the clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearings changed which has made no difference. Some have changed the master cylinders. Someone must of had this problem cured surely?. I'v spoken to a toyota tech and he told me that it was caused by engine vibrations resonating and coming through the chasis to the pedal and that there's no real cure for it.

It doesn't answer why allot of people have this problem and others dont.

Has anyone had this problem cured? it been bugging me for a while now.

what you need is a clutch hydraulic accumulator as fitted to some Land cruisers and hi-lux

It is basically a type of hydraulic vibration damper in the hydraulic clutch pipework.

Nothing to do with engine vibrations as your toyota tech said, (lack of knowledge)

http://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/hzj73lv/8516/chassis/3103/04319A/

what you need is a clutch hydraulic accumulator as fitted to some Land cruisers and hi-lux

It is basically a type of hydraulic vibration damper in the hydraulic clutch pipework.

Nothing to do with engine vibrations as your toyota tech said, (lack of knowledge)

http://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/hzj73lv/8516/chassis/3103/04319A/

Thanks for the reply mate, but it doesn't answer the question of what's causiing it? as there are many t sports that dont have this problem. There must be a fault somewhere that can be fixed?.

There are so many variables that can cause this scenario, below are some likely causes, I wont be going in depth as Im laying in a hospital bed typing this,

* wear in input shaft bearing,

* inconsistent finger height on clutch pressure plate,

* slight distortion of flywheel,

* wear on thrust surface of release bearing,

* out of balance pressure plate,

* wear in centre plate dampers, allowing rubber dampers to move by centrifugal force, (imbalance.

* even minute amount of crankshaft thrust movement,

All it needs is for one or two of the above to work un-harmoniously with each other then you will experience the judder/pulsing/imbalance that you have posted about.. Hence why some cars have it and some do not, just the luck of the draw and NO one particular problem. Hence why some manufactures have fitted an accumulator to some of their cars. Even Porsche

Phil, what's up or do you just like the food??

:offtopic:

Been in hospital now for 8days,

I just woke up one morning and could not walk with out feeling dizzzy, loss of balance, could not even drive.

Had various test, MRI scan, CT scan etc etc and till no answer.

I just wanna get better and drive again, missing lift soooo much,

I need a :doctor:

There are so many variables that can cause this scenario, below are some likely causes, I wont be going in depth as Im laying in a hospital bed typing this,

* wear in input shaft bearing,

* inconsistent finger height on clutch pressure plate,

* slight distortion of flywheel,

* wear on thrust surface of release bearing,

* out of balance pressure plate,

* wear in pressure plate dampers, allowing rubber dampers to move by centrifugal force, (imbalance.

* even minute amount of crankshaft thrust movement,

All it needs is for one or two of the above to work un-harmoniously with each other then you will experience the judder/pulsing/imbalance that you have posted about.. Hence why some cars have it and some do not, just the luck of the draw and NO one particular problem. Hence why some manufactures have fitted an accumulator to some of their cars. Even Porsche

Im aware of the things you've mentioned could cause the fault. After reading that a few have had clutches, pressure plates and thrusts along with gearbox bearings replaced and still not had it cured I was doubtfull of a clutch issue. I just assumed with this being such a common problem that the fault would indeeed be the same thing for most if not all. Im more than willing to pull the box out and put a clutch kit in as this is starting to do my head in. Looks like a nice box to do, bit of room to work with.

Thanks for your help mate. :thumbsup:

I just woke up one morning and could not walk with out feeling dizzzy, loss of balance, could not even drive.

Sincerely wishing you all the best and hope you make a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:

Sorry mate that was rude of me, hope you get well soon. :thumbsup:

Sincerely wishing you all the best and hope you make a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:

+1.Get well soon :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the replies, Phi01 hope you are soon back driving

This was not apparent until I had my clutch replaced, we assumed a faulty thrust bearing had been supplied, so everything was changed again + new clutch and thrust bearing and the fault is exactly the same. As you say someone must have an answer, especially Toyota

• 1 year later...

I have experienced the same condition in my '02 ZZE122R (japan manufacture, delivered Australia)... Quite disconcerting as it feels very much like a contaminated clutch plate....

HOWEVER!

You guys better sit down for this one:

I found the clutch pedal pivot bushings to blame. In fact the entire bush on one side of the pivot simply not there!!

Consequence is that you have metal to metal contact 'tween pedal assy and pivot shaft, instead of being isolated correctly via teflon or similar material bushing.....

Get yourself upside down under the dash and have a look.....If it is indeed this fault you may take some pleasure when informing your "highly qualified technician" as to the cause...

Fault isolation should always begin with the simplest of causes..... Mechanically - bushes, rubber goods etc, items designed to wear..... Electrically - contacts / high resistance joints, terminals etc.

Too many engineers get wrapped up in looking for a fault condition or failure that has the highest level of "complexity".....

In reality, the simple things that fail over time should normally resolve things.

Best of Luck

Simopps