Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Light

Soeley

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a light in the boot? I don't think there is a switch as the interior light does not come on when the hatch is open, but a dash light does come on to warn that a door is open.

Just wondering if it is an easy thing to add, or will a Battery operated LED light be a better option?

Battery operated LED lights are an inexpesive option and will not involve any modification to your cars standard wireing

Fitted with some good quality batteries they should give reasonable service life :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a light in the boot? I don't think there is a switch as the interior light does not come on when the hatch is open, but a dash light does come on to warn that a door is open

That last bit is a good point - it suggests there is a switch, of sorts. I'd personally prefer a hard wired solution than a Battery operated stick on affair that will either run out of batteries or come unstuck at the most inopportune moment and wedge itself under the back seat!

Seriously, I think the light you are seeing on the dash is not because you lifted the boot hatch, its because you pressed the button and unlocked the door. Also what do you regard as the boot? Are you wishing the light to cover the rear seats for when they are laid flat?

David

• Like 1

post-78587-0-42808000-1318452485_thumb.j

I have added three lights to the poor original LED-Interior light.

Number 3 is in the boot lid, so it gives light to the rear interior area and behind the car if the back door is open. The lines are fixed to the LED-Light. :clap:

I used old AUDI-10Watt /5Watt units.

La La

So you have to either open one of the side doors or operate in interior light. Is that right.

Thought might investigate the very small mercury tilt switches like Maplin's

Order Code: FE11M £2.79 which can easily be lost behind the rear wiper panel which can power some very discreet LED's in the rear seat belt pillar's/

OH I feel another Project coming on

David

Seriously, I think the light you are seeing on the dash is not because you lifted the boot hatch, its because you pressed the button and unlocked the door. Also what do you regard as the boot? Are you wishing the light to cover the rear seats for when they are laid flat?

David

Yes I tried it this morning. The dash light comes on as sson as the central locking is activated via the boot switch. Yes to me when the rear seats are folded flat (that's how I'm leaving them) that is the boot :thumbsup:

I've had a 24 led torch attached to the grab handle above the drivers door for a year and its still going strong, and a little round led job with a hook on it cable tied to one of hooks where the back seat clips when its up, does the job for an outlay of less then a tenner from QD.

people have done allsorts with interior lights on an Iq if you look back through the threads, depends on how much and how much work you want to do with it.

mine work for me, they're cheap and out of the way, and i didn't have to spend a lot of time on 'em.

I think the solutions on here are not discreet enough for me. I am going to use a puddle LED at the top centre of the boot aperture and controlled by a told switch in the rear door panel. Cable to feed the switch will follow the route taken by the MR T rear camera through the rubber sleeve carrying the wiper motor cables.

A few plus points

1,This way no side doors need to be opened to trigger it

2, It will not time out

3, Be very discreet and operate as any other hatch light.

Can if required, be double fed from the interior light for rear passengers

Will check tonight if the puddle light is up to the job. As tilt switches vary in the amount of current they can switch LED'S are preferable. A 21W bulb draws 1.75Amps this would be too much for a tilt switch even though its in a vacuumed environment to prevent sparking and false triggering 1.75 Amps is asking a bit too much from it

David

post-109788-0-16170200-1318523210_thumb.

post-109788-0-06630800-1318523238_thumb.

Hello All

Slight change to the first idea.

Inside the interior light there is a white plug with 3 wires BLACK (+12v permanent live). WHITE ( - 12v permanent ) and WHITE and BLACK ( -12v under certain conditions)

I found there wasn't any permenant + 12v live feeds in the rear door hatch so decided to run a wiring loom from the interior light to the top centre of the roof lining where it meets the hatch door,and where the tab of the curtain air bag sticks out.

I tried to run it direct using thick copper wire as a "mouse" but there seems to be some cross bracing members going across the roof.

So I peeled back the rubber surrounding the top of the passenger door and using the "mouse" got the cable to come out between the lining and the body Shell.Then using the mouse again, I fed the cable along the edge of the roof lining and body Shell to the rear. (picture shows where it came out).

Using a Puddle light from Halfords, (the same as the ones I used as puddle lights under the doors) I melted 4 dress making pins (sharp bits outwards, into the bottom of the light so that it had 4 spikes sticking out from it, (as in the pic)

Finding the centre of the rear lining, I made a small hole in the lining and poked the cable of the puddle lamp through. Making sure that the pins didn't puncture the curtain air bag I pushed the lamp to the lining so the pins came through and I bent them flat, at the same time pulling the remains of the cable through.I Cut off the spikey ends of the pins then using thick Duct tape I covered the pins.

I soldered the Puddle light cable to the new loom cable and put heat shrink over them.

Fitted all the lining back.

On the new loom cable that came out of the interior light fitting I soldered a 2.1mm DC plug (like you see on mains adaptors)

On the interior light fitting, I removed the 2 screws holding the printed circuit board on and turned it over. I soldered a short pair of wires onto the board. Red wire to the centre pin of the existing socket which meets the Black wire when the existing lead is plugged in, and a Black wire to the negative side of the existing interior light diode.

On the other end of the short lead I soldered a 2.1mm DC socket.

I then plugged the 2 together and re-fitted the interior light back into the lining.

Now, whilst sitting i the car you can control both lights with the interior light switch, either switched on constant, or in door operating courtesy mode..I,e, when any door is open both lights come on for a short while ,and time out or go off when the doors are locked.

If you are going to be in the boot some time, simply switch the interior light to permanently on.

Works very well with plenty of light

Its the light that MR T forgot

David

post-109788-0-49040600-1318619484_thumb.

post-109788-0-42823600-1318619531_thumb.

post-109788-0-79895600-1318619573_thumb.

post-109788-0-14876600-1318619603_thumb.

post-109788-0-01552500-1318619637_thumb.

post-109788-0-59442900-1318619669_thumb.

post-109788-0-30461300-1318619721_thumb.

post-109788-0-03613500-1318619755_thumb.

post-109788-0-42847900-1318619783_thumb.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a light in the boot? I don't think there is a switch as the interior light does not come on when the hatch is open, but a dash light does come on to warn that a door is open.

Just wondering if it is an easy thing to add, or will a battery operated LED light be a better option?

Mark If you have the interior switch set to doors position, then when the car is unlocked or any door is opened , the light comes on

David

David that is superb cheers.gif

You certainly don't hang around when you decide to do something thumbsup.gif

Brilliant post.

Thank you Mark Its a pity you don't live near me I would have fitted one for you for free, Only took a couple of hours

David

Thank you Mark Its a pity you don't live neat me I would have fitted one for you for free, Only took a couple of hours

David

I'm sure I'm I'll be able to follow you intuitive posts, when i get round to it. Need to finish clearing the garage first so i can get the iQ in along side my Minicool.gif

Another little note.

I dont normally have the internal light switch switched to door mode. Using this position and with the extra boot courtesy light fitted, At night when you walk up to the car, both lights come on. The extra powerful front and added rear light, lights the whole car even before unlocking it or opening it. Its very impressive when with friends. It adds that safety at night feel about it especially in a lonely carpark.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I've just found these.

I might see about using the 4 LED Round in the front footwells, as opposed to the Toyota versions, and Trux Chrome in the boot area.

What do you think?

I might see about using the 4 LED Round in the front footwells, as opposed to the Toyota versions, and Trux Chrome in the boot area.

What do you think?

Have to say that's a great site for stuff. It doesn't say what the LED is. Lumens or colour etc. It looks like you would have to fit them in a panel maybe by the seatbelt anchor bolt. Means drilling a hole. They look very similar to the MR T's footwell lights which are amber and pony. I am fitting for someone else a pair of the puddle lights which are about 2 watts each in the roof lining. They are very easy to fit and can be easily removed. You will still have to do the same wiring as me if you want to control them from the interior light switch . The LED's have a great white light output and are available in Halfords at £12.99 for the pair.If you need help I can give you very detailed step by step details of the wiring. Also can modify your internal light for you, by return of post which will make a world of difference to the front area.

David

• Like 1

What do you think?

Have to say that's a great site for stuff. It doesn't say what the LED is. Lumens or colour etc. It looks like you would have to fit them in a panel maybe by the seatbelt anchor bolt. Means drilling a hole. They look very similar to the MR T's footwell lights which are amber and pony. I am fitting for someone else a pair of the puddle lights which are about 2 watts each in the roof lining. They are very easy to fit and can be easily removed. You will still have to do the same wiring as me if you want to control them from the interior light switch . The LED's have a great white light output and are available in Halfords at £12.99 for the pair.If you need help I can give you very detailed step by step details of the wiring. Also can modify your internal light for you, by return of post which will make a world of difference to the front area.

David

I can even modify your existing interior light and also fit the flying DC socket on it and make you a lead that you can install in the lining easily which will come out between the 2 x plastic studs holding the roof lining where the airbag tag hangs down when you open the boot..Then you can fit the puddle lights of ones of your own choice, then you won't have to worry about feeding power to them as my modification does it all for you. The interior light looks exactly the same but much brighter.

David

• Like 1

Thanks David, I'll bear that in mind.

I emailed the company and they shipp worldwide with no minimum order qty. I have also asked them for more dimensions for the two lights and LED wattage. I should get a reply later, will let you know.

Thanks David, I'll bear that in mind.

I emailed the company and they shipp worldwide with no minimum order qty. I have also asked them for more dimensions for the two lights and LED wattage. I should get a reply later, will let you know.

Also the colour temperature of the light. Warm white is also naff. Sort of rule of thumb 2watts minimum for both. A watt each would give you useable lighting in the back. The ones in the link are like MR T's half covered. Theybare really meant for footwells. For the rear you really need festoon style

David

• 3 weeks later...

Using the ideas on this thread I found a new use for a 3 bulb LED light -called DOT-It Linear Vario by OSRAM- that has an adjustable/swivel, light, thingy. It came with magnetic, Velcro and Stick on mounts. I had already used the stick on mount so have in this case used the velcro type. I 'stuck' it to the plastic covering the area around the high level brake light (on the inside of the tailgate obviously). To switch it on requires you to brush the two 'prongs' with a finger/thumb tip for On and Off. One issue with this is to remember to switch it off when closing the tailgate. Photo's attached for visual reference. The light seen through the car windows is from the car port light.

post-113536-0-98171600-1322003510_thumb.post-113536-0-89926600-1322003524_thumb.post-113536-0-04249200-1322003537_thumb.post-113536-0-14781000-1322003553_thumb.post-113536-0-82564900-1322003564_thumb.post-113536-0-66168200-1322003579_thumb.post-113536-0-96359200-1322003589_thumb.

Hi bob

That looks like a nice unit i guess a few people on here would like one of those. Maybe you could post a link where people could get one. It fits really well in that location well done good find

David