Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charliefarlies Guide To Switching The Tpms Pink Wire

CharlieFarlie

There is a thread elsewhere showing how to disable the TPMS By cutting the pink wire.
This I hope will help those Who may as I did want to be able to turn the system on or off say for the running of winter tyres that may not have the transponders or valves fitted.
Thanks to Sean AKA Wardude and David AKA Davrav and SCHM for all the information I needed to complete this task !!!!
Before any work is started remove the negative terminal on the Battery, This is VERY important !!

Firstly as on the other thread You remove the bezel surrounding the instrument cluster.
3pullbinniclecoveroff.jpg
This pic shows the fixing points..
meter1.png
There are for small clips that connect the bezel to the dust curtain. these squeeze together to be removed. The bezel can now be removed out of the way

Then remove the two screws at the top and gently pull the clocks towards You..
meter2.png
5remove2xphillipsscrews.jpg

6pullatbottomofgaugesassy.jpg
The clocks have just one connector so I removed this and put them out of the way...
003.jpg
The pink wire is easily located in the loom.
8locatePINKwire.jpg

The switch is an SPDT and costs just £2.. Here are a couple of pics of the switch and where I decided to mount it.
The chosen spot.
BTW there is no need to remove the switch panel as its very difficult to get out !! Simply reach behind it when the clocks are out and push the switch blank out !!
005.jpg
I removed the switch blank and carefully drilled a 20 mill hole in dead centre of said blank.
006.jpg
Wiring was done as follows. Thanks David.

1 Select the pink wire from the loom that goes into the connector block shown above and cut.
2 Determine which end goes into the clock/pack. Connect this wire to centre terminal on switch. This is the critical connection.

3 Connect other end of pink wire [that goes to the TPMS ECU] to either of the outer terminals.
4 Connect remaining terminal to ground/earth

I chose to solder and heat shrink the connections and cable tie to the loom.
015.jpg
The earth cable point is under the cover just to the right of the drivers foot.
Here.
017-2.jpg
You will need to remove the cover above the sill here
10liftdoortrimcover.jpg
The remove this cover
11removekickpanel.jpg
Both covers simply pull off as they are on bayonet push fixings.. The cover in the lower pi has one plastic nut right at the front about half way up. You can undo this with Your fingers.
Once re assembled I think the switch looks OK..
024-1.jpg
So with the Battery re connected and the switch in position 1 the TPMS Symbol lights up as usual indicating the TPMS system is live and working as normal when going through the check on start up.
With the switch on position 2 the symbol does not light up indicating that the TPMS IS NOW DEACTIVATED !!!!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to ask any questions as Im not to clever at writing up stuff like this ...

Wee Charlie.

• Like 2

:thumbsup:

Now, you should at least get a star for that.

Good work mate - I wish I had the time to play around with my car and put together comprehensive instructions like you have :thumbsup:

I agree with MarsKy - star for Charlie

Well done Charlie! Congrats! :thumbsup:

In the socket behind the clock there is only one pink wire, yes? You can't miss it can you? It isn't really clear on the pictures.

Am I right? Well done again, you cracked it.

J

Nice and neat young Charles :thumbsup:

You give me too much credit - it were SCHM who originally told us what needed doing with the switchy clicky bit..............

I just acted as interpreter :rolleyes:

did I meantion the other light that comes on after you have cut the pink wire?? It flashes and a ladies voice comes on saying "Warning, pink wire has been cut" then the engine cuts out and she tells you to ring TGB.

Well done Charlie! Congrats! :thumbsup:

In the socket behind the clock there is only one pink wire, yes? You can't miss it can you? It isn't really clear on the pictures.

Am I right? Well done again, you cracked it.

J

Jozseph. Yes Mate You simply cant miss the pink wire !! Around the clocks there is a bezel. The manual says to tape a screwdriver and lever it away from the dashboard.... In reality You just grasp it and pull firmly towards Yourself and the clips release and its off !!

Looking at the top of the instrument cluster You will see two phillips screw heads . Remove these with a magnetic head screwdriver. You then grasp the bottom of the cluster and pull gently towards You.. The instrument cluster is then completely free.

The white multi plug has tab which You push and out it pops. There is a cable tie connected to the back of the cluster that You prise out with a small flat blade screwdriver. The cluster is now completely free and can be taken out of the way....

The pink wire is in the loom that goes to the multi plug You have just taken out of the cluster.... HTH

Wee Charlie.

did I meantion the other light that comes on after you have cut the pink wire?? It flashes and a ladies voice comes on saying "Warning, pink wire has been cut" then the engine cuts out and she tells you to ring TGB.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::naughty:

Nice and neat young Charles :thumbsup:

You give me too much credit - it were SCHM who originally told us what needed doing with the switchy clicky bit..............

I just acted as interpreter :rolleyes:

Thanks David. I have edited My post above to include SCHM. I genuinely appreciate the help of You all !! I know I rabbited on a wee bit on the other thread but this was so I hopefully didn't make mistakes.

Thanks again all !!

Wee Charlie.

Nicely done, looks smart and you've the reassurance of knowing some-one else hasn't left a mass of spaghetti behind there.

This is brilliant, Charlie! I wish you would post this procedure on RAV4World along with the pictures. A lot of our members are switching over to winter wheels right now and this would be most helpful. Thanks!

This is brilliant, Charlie! I wish you would post this procedure on RAV4World along with the pictures. A lot of our members are switching over to winter wheels right now and this would be most helpful. Thanks!

I think the write up needs a few more pictures.... But I may be doing another car soon for a Forum Member so I will take a few more pictures of assembly and dissasembley..

It woul seem though that it will be of use only to those with Runflats of course....

Are there more of Your members with this issue ??

Wee Charlie.

This is a good post and very important to those wishing to free themselves of the burden of RFTs.

Can I suggest that you edit your original post when you are ready so it is updated and I will pin it this weekend.

Send a note to RAVMAN (maybe James will?) on R4W and see if he wants a link or a complete new thread for the US guys.

I will poach a couple of pictures from the other thread and try and make My post a little more legible.... It needs a couple of extra pictures I think.... When its done let Me know if its up to the mark... It takes a while for Me to do these things as I'm a one fingered typist and a little slow with computers ...

Wee Charlie.

I will poach a couple of pictures from the other thread and try and make My post a little more legible.... It needs a couple of extra pictures I think.... When its done let Me know if its up to the mark... It takes a while for Me to do these things as I'm a one fingered typist and a little slow with computers ...

Wee Charlie.

When did that star sneak in there? Missed that one :thumbsup:

I believe if we are going to have this star ranking system then it should be achievable. The mods have five, Kingo has three but there seems to be no twos, other threes or fours.

Ok not just the number of posts and we have to credit our electronics guru and you Dave for this thread but when somebody goes to the trouble of actually hacking into the loom and recording it with good photo's (something Charlie does often) then it does deserve a thankyou from the TOC - well deserved.

This really is a very useful thread for those picking up a long term ownership of a RAV with run flats.

Excellent :thumbsup:

I believe if we are going to have this star ranking system then it should be achievable. The mods have five, Kingo has three but there seems to be no twos, other threes or fours.

Ok not just the number of posts and we have to credit our electronics guru and you Dave for this thread but when somebody goes to the trouble of actually hacking into the loom and recording it with good photo's (something Charlie does often) then it does deserve a thankyou from the TOC - well deserved.

This really is a very useful thread for those picking up a long term ownership of a RAV with run flats.

Excellent :thumbsup:

Wasn't questioning the merit, just wondered if Charlie had noticed it?

This TPMS issue has been a bugbear for so long and Charlie has gone the final step in providing a convenient solution for all those TPMS sufferers. Good on him :thumbsup:

He'll have to change his signature now............

Don. I have edited the post to make things add up a little better.... But as its 1 in the morning I will leave it now.... See if it looks OK.. I have robbed pictures from other threads to try to give a better overall picture...

Wee Tired Charlie.

• Like 1

Wasn't questioning the merit, just wondered if Charlie had noticed it?

I know Dave, I was just explaining the reasoning for giving it :thumbsup:

Superb Charlie quality guide!!!!! well worth the star.Note to Anchs, Chalie would be better contacting Junebug as he is an Administrator on Rav4world.

Regards Clare

Charlie has a star!! yahoo.gif

Well done mate, as many others have already stated, this an an excellent, detailed thread - thanks for taking the time to do it thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There is a thread elsewhere showing how to disable the TPMS By cutting the pink wire.

This I hope will help those Who may as I did want to be able to turn the system on or off say for the running of winter tyres that may not have the transponders or valves fitted.

Thanks to Sean AKA Wardude and David AKA Davrav and SCHM for all the information I needed to complete this task !!!!

Before any work is started remove the negative terminal on the battery, This is VERY important !!

Firstly as on the other thread You remove the bezel surrounding the instrument cluster.

3pullbinniclecoveroff.jpg

This pic shows the fixing points..

meter1.png

There are for small clips that connect the bezel to the dust curtain. these squeeze together to be removed. The bezel can now be removed out of the way

Then remove the two screws at the top and gently pull the clocks towards You..

meter2.png

5remove2xphillipsscrews.jpg

6pullatbottomofgaugesassy.jpg

The clocks have just one connector so I removed this and put them out of the way...

003.jpg

The pink wire is easily located in the loom.

8locatePINKwire.jpg

The switch is an SPDT and costs just £2.. Here are a couple of pics of the switch and where I decided to mount it.

The chosen spot.

BTW there is no need to remove the switch panel as its very difficult to get out !! Simply reach behind it when the clocks are out and push the switch blank out !!

005.jpg

I removed the switch blank and carefully drilled a 20 mill hole in dead centre of said blank.

006.jpg

Wiring was done as follows. Thanks David.

1 Select the pink wire from the loom that goes into the connector block shown above and cut.

2 Determine which end goes into the clock/pack. Connect this wire to centre terminal on switch. This is the critical connection.

3 Connect other end of pink wire [that goes to the TPMS ECU] to either of the outer terminals.

4 Connect remaining terminal to ground/earth

I chose to solder and heat shrink the connections and cable tie to the loom.

015.jpg

The earth cable point is under the cover just to the right of the drivers foot.

Here.

017-2.jpg

You will need to remove the cover above the sill here

10liftdoortrimcover.jpg

The remove this cover

11removekickpanel.jpg

Both covers simply pull off as they are on bayonet push fixings.. The cover in the lower pi has one plastic nut right at the front about half way up. You can undo this with Your fingers.

Once re assembled I think the switch looks OK..

024-1.jpg

So with the battery re connected and the switch in position 1 the TPMS Symbol lights up as usual indicating the TPMS system is live and working as normal when going through the check on start up.

With the switch on position 2 the symbol does not light up indicating that the TPMS IS NOW DEACTIVATED !!!!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to ask any questions as Im not to clever at writing up stuff like this ...

Wee Charlie.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this Charlie. It was easy to follow and only took me 1-2 hours from start to finish.

nilsy

• Like 1