Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adding 2 Stroke Oil To Diesel

jedi134

Just been reading on a few other forums and there are discussions there about adding 2 stroke mineral oil to diesel and the benefits its 'suppose' to have?

Apparently BMW ran tests on their engines

Smoother running, quiter engine, more MPG, suposed to lubricate the fuel system?

has anyone tried this on here with there Rav?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/diesel-forum/48309-2-stroke-oil-diesel.html

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• dervdave

• Mistermena

• jedi134

This has been discussed on these forums before.i think adding MARINE 2 stroke oil gave best results.

Just been reading on a few other forums and there are discussions there about adding 2 stroke mineral oil to diesel and the benefits its 'suppose' to have?

Apparently BMW ran tests on their engines

Smoother running, quiter engine, more MPG, suposed to lubricate the fuel system?

has anyone tried this on here with there Rav?

TO SAVE shcm TYPING....SNAKE OIL.....

Big Kev

I won't be putting anything in my high grade diesel.

I used to think the same, but after reading on a few forums I can see how it could work, 2 stroke mixes with fuel and is designed to burn,and on its way it lubes the fuel system.

As in my opinion my rav is quite noisey/clattery it may benift from some lubrication,Its had nothing put into the tank in 80K so may benifit?

I also use Sainsburys City diesel low sulpher, which is suposed to be less lubricating

Also as I am only just about getting 400 miles driving like a granny to a full tank I am on the hunt for more MPG.

Mine certainly runs smoother on veg oil :D worse MPg though.

Smells nice.

Might be my poor memory but I thought a raft of 4.3s had just been fitted with new engines because traces of oil in the fuel was causing horrendous problems with blocked EGRs and CATs as well as head gasket failure???

A diesel engine is remarkably forgiving in just how well it will run with diesel and an other contaminant like petrol or oil but it is the long term effects of continuous use that rings alarm bells with me.

This has been discussed on these forums before.i think adding MARINE 2 stroke oil gave best results.

hi Peter

what did you mean as MARINE -- in details please -- any specific grade /brand?

Marine 2 stroke engines are normally considered as the main engines having two separate lubricating systems and moreover two oils in use are rapidly difer as cylinder oil and system oil. Please be more accurate in wordings.

Cheers/Igor

I won't be putting anything in my high grade diesel.

Agree with YOU Anchorman. I would not gamble with modern engine -- cos the brans has already thought how to feed it.

Either gambling will create both money loss and head ache.

Cheers/Igor

cos the brans has already thought how to feed it.

Cheers/Igor

:thumbsup:

Mine certainly runs smoother on veg oil :D worse MPg though.

Smells nice.

worse cos of both cetane index and thermal value of an oil.

cheers

By the time you pay for even more oil fur yer oil-burner, would it not be easier to treat the engine to some proper quality diesel once in a while ??

I'll give you a shot in number 1 RAV and then you'll appreciate how quiet yer oil-burner is ! :lol: :lol:

Three letters that should strike fear into the hearts of anyone thinking of adding oil to their diesel .....D......P.........F.......

Wee Charlie. :rolleyes:

Mine dont have a dpf. Also on tuther forums they are saying that 2 stroke oil burns cleaner than the diesel itself? Is this true?

Anchs i know what your saying about all the 4.3s with the oil burning issues, but these are burning fully synth not designed to burn oils. Maybe 2 stroke is different?

Maybe this is what bp stick in their ultimate brand of fuels?

hi Peter

what did you mean as MARINE -- in details please -- any specific grade /brand?

Marine 2 stroke engines are normally considered as the main engines having two separate lubricating systems and moreover two oils in use are rapidly difer as cylinder oil and system oil. Please be more accurate in wordings.

Cheers/Igor

Sorry cant realy help on anything specific about Marine 2 stroke oil,i just remember that it was mentioned on earlier posting on this subject.maybe marine 2 stroke oil is of a higher quality than used on other engines.

never had a 2 stroke engine myself in m/cycle,lawn mower etc.though worked on plenty many years ago.

From dervedave's article, it sounds like it'd have the same effect as using a higher concentration of biodiesel (Lower particulates, much better lubricity, smoother engine note etc.)

I don't know about this marine oil specifically, but in general it's not a good idea mixing lubricating oil in with diesel in a 4-stroke as there's a good chance it'll send the particulates through the roof and make the engine more smokey under load.

If you're worried about injector lubricity, use biodiesel.

If you're worried about piston lubricity, use a good synthetic oil (In the sump, not the fuel! :lol:)

If you're after a less clattery/smoother engine sound, use V-Power diesel (Or biodiesel but the jury's still out on that :))

I've evaluated the effects of supermarket diesel vs high grade diesel. I haven't evaluated TS in diesel nor was I even aware there is a trend but personally I'm not prepared to risk it without knowing much more.

Three letters that should strike fear into the hearts of anyone thinking of adding oil to their diesel .....D......P.........F.......

Yep i back up charlie on this one as they are a heart breaker on some vehicles, but i have heard of a company not too far away from me who can remove them and they will still pass mot, but may affect warranty. My kia sportage has one but only 4000 miles on it so hopefully no problems for a while. i suppose mentioning that will prob get me kicked off the toyota forum :D :D :D :D :D

is that better than filtered red diesel, I try and add some cerosine to my mix, old fashion heating oil, runs great

is that better than filtered red diesel, I try and add some cerosine to my mix, old fashion heating oil, runs great

kerosene is recommended to prevent origination of a flakes due to temp below zero or up to +3C

1 : 20 ratio is good enough to prevent filter blocking.

cheers

Yep i back up charlie on this one as they are a heart breaker on some vehicles, but i have heard of a company not too far away from me who can remove them and they will still pass mot, but may affect warranty. My kia sportage has one but only 4000 miles on it so hopefully no problems for a while. i suppose mentioning that will prob get me kicked off the toyota forum :D :D :D :D :D

You may scream DPF by all means, But when some engines are consuming 1 liter even more per 1k miles of non meant for burning engine oil. Surely this does more harm to the DPF than 200ml of 2 stroke every now and then to a tank full of diesel?

You may scream DPF by all means, But when some engines are consuming 1 liter even more per 1k miles of non meant for burning engine oil. Surely this does more harm to the DPF than 200ml of 2 stroke every now and then to a tank full of diesel?

Your right Mate spot on !! That is why if Your engine is burning that much Oil You should take it to Mr T and get it replaced under warranty.......

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links