Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[Diy] - Auto Folding Mirror

alextz

The idea started from here, so I must thanks to shcm for posting the connector diagram.

This is a simple and cheap way to make your RAV4 mirrors to fold in when you shut down the engine and fold out when you start it. This method does not disable the button from the middle console- meaning that you could always use it as before (you could press it to prevent the folding out at engine start).

What I used:

• 1 x 9 pin connector (optional you could directly connect the wires)
    23558601.jpg26403022.jpg
  • 2 x OMRON G5LE-1 12V RELAY
    11527678.jpg
  • 1x 5A Fuse
    19270450.jpg
  • 1 x 30A conector (It is important to support 30A)
    65182481.jpg

Tools:

47668470.jpg

80048847.jpg

Disassembly instructions

98300258.jpg96351766.jpg

96652385.jpg99387005.jpg

Obtaining +12V:

80756969.jpg

I use this blue wire to obtain 12V (also without ignition) as you can see bellow

84333412.jpg

Using the connector I obtained +12V but only protected by the 5A fusible. I directed MY BLUE 12V to the armrest near the lighter switch. Please ignore all other wires (they are from the Viper alarm).

The logical scheme

78453001.jpg

I designed the scheme according to the wires colors that the used connector has. You could use other colors but please pay attention to the wire/relay connection logic.

Soldering the wires

I cut the connector and soldered the wires to relays:

28023753.jpg75021739.jpg

42284914.jpg

Making connections

I cut the 9 and 10 wires from mirror control socket

34941556.jpg

I joined this wires to the corresponding ones connected to relays, according to above diagram.

41841247.jpg13602564.jpg

For IGN I used the 12V from lighter socket that is powered only with ignition ON.

65309144.jpg

Don't forget to isolate with tape everything, including the relays.

Note that if you used this method to obtain a constant powered lighter then you will need a new extra wire that has +12V only when IGN is ON. You should connect this wire to YELLOW and BLACK wires.

If you have an alarm system that offers you a "comfort closure" or a programmable AUX output you could use it to trigger the relays by certain events. To do this you first have to reverse the following wires WHITE with MAROON and RED with ORANGE. Next connect the control wire (from alarm) to the YELLOW and BLACK wires and BLUE wire to +12V if alarm give a minus or to GND if alarm give a plus.

The mirror engines consume 1.5A and they auto-disconnect them self from power when mirrors are fully returned and/or fully retracted(folded): this means that a constant +12V is safe.

The result:

Please note that I am not a professional electronics and if you decide to implement my solution you are doing it on your own risk (however I don't expect any kind of issues).

If you are not sure about how to implement this solution on your car please feel free to print attachment and address to a professional installer.

Automatically folding mirrors.pdf

Great post, thanks :D

Yes, ditto that from me too :thumbsup:

I've got the relays, now need a bit of time and some daylight............

Fab post...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Will this work on an Avensis T-180?

nice 1 :thumbsup:

but please solder and use head shrink sleeving the wires in a car and don't use these;

65182481.jpg

it makes if more bullet prove in the long run...

like these wires;

P1020237.jpg

• Like 1

nice 1 :thumbsup: but please solder and use head shrink sleeving the wires in a car and don't use these;

bitman, thank you! Advices and improvements are welcomed.

From what I see in HERE the controls are similar to the RAV4 ones.

Using a multimeter you should detect if following are true:

Connector: (10 pins)

PIN 7: GND (-)

PIN 8: +12V

Switch:

In the fold in position PIN 9 12V and PIN 10 GND

In the fold out position PIN 9 GND and PIN 10 +12V

If all of that are true then you have to be sure that is no power drain after the mirrors will fold in: Remove the connector and using a wire connect PIN 10 with PIN 7 next connect the PIN 8 with PIN 9 via the amperemeter. The mirrors will start fold in. The ampermeter should indicate around 1.5A durring folding and then 0 when the mirrors are fully folded.

If all above are true then you can implement this.

Also maybe someone has some schematics for Avensis.

nice 1 :thumbsup: but please solder and use head shrink sleeving the wires in a car and don't use these;

bitman, thank you! Advices and improvements are welcomed.

From what I see in HERE the controls are similar to the RAV4 ones.

Using a multimeter you should detect if following are true:

Connector: (10 pins)

PIN 7: GND (-)

PIN 8: +12V

Switch:

In the fold in position PIN 9 12V and PIN 10 GND

In the fold out position PIN 9 GND and PIN 10 +12V

If all of that are true then you have to be sure that is no power drain after the mirrors will fold in: Remove the connector and using a wire connect PIN 10 with PIN 7 next connect the PIN 8 with PIN 9 via the amperemeter. The mirrors will start fold in. The ampermeter should indicate around 1.5A durring folding and then 0 when the mirrors are fully folded.

If all above are true then you can implement this.

Also maybe someone has some schematics for Avensis.

Nice one mate :thumbsup:

I'll take a look at it on the weekend if I get a chance. Gotta wonder why this wasn't a standard setting on cars like the Rav's and Avensis with power mirrors! Great post :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

EEErrrrr..................Nah its ok ........................................... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Wee confused again Charlie.

EEErrrrr..................Nah its ok ........................................... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I am not sure I understand what you mean ... :unsure:

Charlie's dyslexic when it comes to all those wires :rolleyes:

Charlie's dyslexic when it comes to all those wires :rolleyes:

Sorry but that is absolutely correct.... In fact David You are correct I am dyslexic .. I used to be called thick at school though ...

When I left school at 15 I could not read or write and that is the truth.. Wiring diagram's I simply cannot recognise no matter how hard I try..And I do try !!

Unless the wiring is set out piecemeal I cant understand it sorry .... :unsure:

But it is a great post !!!!

Wee Charlie.

Sorry but that is absolutely correct.... In fact David You are correct I am dyslexic .. I used to be called thick at school though ...

When I left school at 15 I could not read or write and that is the truth.. Wiring diagram's I simply cannot recognise no matter how hard I try..And I do try !!

Unless the wiring is set out piecemeal I cant understand it sorry .... :unsure:

But it is a great post !!!!

Wee Charlie.

No need to apologise for that Charlie, you are in great company. Many dyslexia sufferers have gone on to be majorly successful in all sorts of fields as I'm sure you're well aware. I wonder how many of your teachers have been able to retire comfortably at your age?

So who is going to translate the wiring into something a child ( Me ) can understand ???................... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Wee Thick Charlie.

what a brilliant idea - shame I can't do it to my Rav. I'm a retired dyslexic teacher by the way. :offtopic::dontgetit:

what a brilliant idea - shame I can't do it to my Rav. I'm a retired dyslexic teacher by the way. :offtopic::dontgetit:

Now waaaay off topic but, did you hear about the dyslexic skier?

First morning on the piste and he says to his skiing partner, 'Wow, look at that slope, I'm going to Zag Zig all the way down’

His mate says, ‘Don’t you mean Zig Zag?’

‘No’ says the skier. ‘I’m going to Zag Zig down’ . His mate says, ‘I’m sure that’s not the correct term for what you plan to do’

Well, after some argument the skier’s mate says, ‘Go and ask that bloke selling cigarettes and tobacco in the Kiosk over there. He’s here every day. He’s bound to know’

So the skier skis over to the kiosk and says to the proprietor, ‘Would you kindly settle and argument for me? I’ve told my mate I’m going to Zag Zig down the piste but he says I’ve got it wrong and that I will be Zig Zagging down. Who’s right’

The guy in the kiosk says, ‘Dunno mate, it’s no good asking me, I’m a tobbogganist’

In the words of another esteemed member, ‘I’ll get me coat’……………………………

Did You hear about the Dyslexic Pimp who bought a warehouse ???

Now Who us going to write up the wiring so old Thicko here can read it .... Please ??................... :blink: :blink: :blink: