Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lights For New Yaris

Eren 2011

Hello everyone. First off, hope everybody had a lovely Christmas!

I'm picking up my new SR tomorrow (YAY!!) :) and I have been looking at changing the headlamps to the Philips Blue Vision bulbs. I was wondering if anybody has used these bulbs in particular as I've seen some videos on youtube but they are not for the Yaris and I'm just wondering what they'll look like. There's mixed reaction to these bulbs but after some extensive research I've decided these will be the best.

Has anybody changed their lights on the Yaris or any other ideas as to what bulbs will be the best for me as I am going for that nice xenon blue/white light.

Many thanks

Eren

Great to hear you're getting your new Yaris tomorrow :D Are you getting the DRLs? Are you going to put up a photo? What colour did you get? I'm planning on changing for one in the spring

Enjoy your new car :thumbsup:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't get the DRLs, no. I wish I did though, I may have to go back in a few months and add them however. I'm getting it in black :) and of course I'll put up a photo! I'm sure the page and my phone will be overloaded with pictures. I can't wait!

Eren

Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't get the DRLs, no. I wish I did though, I may have to go back in a few months and add them however. I'm getting it in black :) and of course I'll put up a photo! I'm sure the page and my phone will be overloaded with pictures. I can't wait!

Eren

Very pleased to hear you are taking delivery of your new Yaris (at long last!) My advice is to leave the headlights alone, for several reasons,my wifes Yaris is three months old now and I have noticed on very cold and frosty nights some condensation appears in the ribbed portion of the lamp at the top, it disappears the following morning. The dealer says this is nothing to worry about! You may, or may not have the same problem. Also with the lights being made of plastic more powerful bulbs could adversely affect them even though the bulb manufacturers claim not. The main drift is do not give the dealer any wriggling room, if there is ever a problem they will do their best to blame you to avoid a warranty claim. I always advise anyone do not modify a new car in any way at least until you have seen there are no teething troubles. Good Luck with the new car.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Sorry to sound like an old bore, but if you're asking about the Blue Vision bulbs, it sounds like you're looking for bulbs that look pretty rather than those that give out most light.

Be aware that all of the blue tinted bulbs give out less light than a standard bulb, because they have colour coating on the bulb.

If you're really desperate to put looks over function, then there's nothing wrong with fitting these bulbs - they are the same wattage as your standard bulbs, so won't put out any more heat - but I personally want my headlights to put out as much light as possibe - because that's what they're there for....

I always swap my headlight bulbs - but I go for the best light output possible.

I always go for either Philips Extreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker as these consistently come out top of the various tests.

They put out twice the light output of standard headlight bulbs - but only use the same power so they don't genereate any extra heat and are completely safe to use in plastic headlghts.

They also put out a very white light which I find is much nicer than the standard yellowish bulb - but they give out that white colour naturally without using a tint on the lens that cuts down light output....

As bulbs and tyres are "disposable items" as long as you fit branded bulbs that comply with EU specifications and are the same wattage as standard bulbs, there wil be no issue with the warranty - if you are really worried, as Geoff is above, and you do have an issue with your headlights, you can always put the original bulbs back in before you take it in to the dealers....

(Geoff - If you have some condensation inside your headlight, on a dry night when you're taking the car out for a reasonably long run (30 mins or more), open the rubber seal around the bulb to vent it and drive around for a while with the lights on. This will generate heat inside the headligth and vent any consendation into the engine bay. Then close the rubber seals back onto the headlight to seal them again and you should find the condensation is lessened or removed....)

• Like 1

Sorry to sound like an old bore, but if you're asking about the Blue Vision bulbs, it sounds like you're looking for bulbs that look pretty rather than those that give out most light.

Be aware that all of the blue tinted bulbs give out less light than a standard bulb, because they have colour coating on the bulb.

If you're really desperate to put looks over function, then there's nothing wrong with fitting these bulbs - they are the same wattage as your standard bulbs, so won't put out any more heat - but I personally want my headlights to put out as much light as possibe - because that's what they're there for....

I always go for either Philips Extreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker as these consistently come out top of the various tests.

They put out twice the light output of standard headlight bulbs - but only use the same power so they don't genereate any extra heat and are completely safe to use in plastic headlghts.

They also put out a very white light which I find is much nicer than the standard yellowish bulb - but they give out that white colour naturally without using a tint on the lens that cuts down light output....

As bulbs and tyres are "disposable items" as long as you fit branded bulbs that comply with EU specifications and are the same wattage as standard bulbs, there wil be no issue with the warranty - if you are really worried, as Geoff is above, and you do have an issue with your headlights, you can always put the original bulbs back in before you take it in to the dealers....

(Geoff - If you have some condensation inside your headlight, on a dry night when you're taking the car out for a reasonably long run (30 mins or more), open the rubber seal around the bulb to vent it and drive around for a while with the lights on. This will generate heat inside the headligth and vent any consendation into the engine bay. Then close the rubber seals back onto the headlight to seal them again and you should find the condensation is lessened or removed....)

Thankyou for your help alfiejts. I did check if the rubber seals were correctly seated and they are, but I take your point about venting the lights. The condensation is not the normal type of mist which usually disappears as a result fo heat from the headlamp it is on the ribbed part at the top and appears as milky white blotches some of them coloured similar to the appearance of a drop of petrol in water. It almost looks as if the lamp has a separate compartment in the top. However, in the handbook it states that condensation in the headlight is not a malfunction! so yet again, the wriggling clause. I would be interested to know if any other owners of the new Yaris have encountered similar problems. Apologies for going of the subject of bulbs, so to return I find a lot of the reason for poor headlamp performance is that they are simply not adjusted correctly, if the aim is correct is it suprising the difference it makes.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Fully agree Geoff. The number of cars I pass on the motorway who's lights are pointing straight down at the road and not adjusted properly to point the correct distance ahead is amazing.

A standard car headlight light is meant to be pointing down from the horizontal by just 1% (that's what the 1% label means under the bonnet on or near the headlight).

I always check my headlights are adjusted properly. If others google they can find a good manual adjustment guide on the 'net, but basically here's a simple guide...

1) Measure the distance from the floor to the centre of the headlight (to the headlight bulb). (lets pretend its 60cm)

2) Park the car on level ground, a reasonable distance from a wall.

3) Measure the distance from the car headlight to the wall (lets pretend its 10m i.e. 1000cm)

4) So 1% of 1000cm is 10cm (1% = the distance from the car to the wall in cm divided by 100)

5) Next draw a line on the wall at the level of the centre of the headlights (60cm in the example above).

6) Next draw another line 1% below the hedlight centre line (in this example 10cm below the 60cm line - therefore 50cm above the ground)

The flat cut-off line of the headlights should be along the lower line you draw above and can be adjusted as necessary using the little hex or torx screws o each headlight.

Always make sure the manual headlight adjuster is set at its highest setting (0 on the dial) - and in theory, you should check this adjustment with the boot empty, the fuel tank half full and the driver sitting in the car.

Fully agree Geoff. The number of cars I pass on the motorway who's lights are pointing straight down at the road and not adjusted properly to point the correct distance ahead is amazing.

A standard car headlight light is meant to be pointing down from the horizontal by just 1% (that's what the 1% label means under the bonnet on or near the headlight).

I always check my headlights are adjusted properly. If others google they can find a good manual adjustment guide on the 'net, but basically here's a simple guide...

1) Measure the distance from the floor to the centre of the headlight (to the headlight bulb). (lets pretend its 60cm)

2) Park the car on level ground, a reasonable distance from a wall.

3) Measure the distance from the car headlight to the wall (lets pretend its 10m i.e. 1000cm)

4) So 1% of 1000cm is 10cm (1% = the distance from the car to the wall in cm divided by 100)

5) Next draw a line on the wall at the level of the centre of the headlights (60cm in the example above).

6) Next draw another line 1% below the hedlight centre line (in this example 10cm below the 60cm line - therefore 50cm above the ground)

The flat cut-off line of the headlights should be along the lower line you draw above and can be adjusted as necessary using the little hex or torx screws o each headlight.

Always make sure the manual headlight adjuster is set at its highest setting (0 on the dial) - and in theory, you should check this adjustment with the boot empty, the fuel tank half full and the driver sitting in the car.

The beam was set to fall 1 inch in every eight feet when I started! Never quite got used to the meters! Just one last point on headlight leveling, with all cars now being fitted with leveling motors, the last adjustment must be up, to remove the backlash on the screw thread, i.e. if the lights are too high they should be lowered beyond the correct setting and then raised, if the last adjustment is down, the will fall slightly from the correct setting.

Regards Geoff Peace.

1 inch every 8 feet is about 1% as its 1 inch drop for every 96 inches of distance - so life hasn't really changed since Geoff's imperial days....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thank you for your reply, sorry I've taken so long to reply, I hadn't forgot! I am taken by the nice blue tint yes I'll be honest but I've seen a few of the lights now in action and they do seem to give off some more light but I will take your advice and leave it a few months at least and let it run in a bit.

On a different note I did indeed pick up my new car finally! :) I've had her a week or so and I will put up a photo as Lorna2 did ask for. It's lovely, what a different an automatic makes to the now pleasure of driving after 3 miserable years of sitting on the UK's biggest car park. (M25)

Happy new year to you all!

Eren

Hi,

I have been using the blue/white xenon bulbs in various cars for some years now. I find them superb. Road signs can almost dazzle you at times though. The all new Yaris is the first car I didn't struggle to change the bulbs or lose any skin. At last a design where you don't need to half dismantle the car to change a bulb.

Hello again,

I see a mention of the DRL's. Are they available yet? The Yaris brochure had "available Jan 2012" in very small letters. I wasn't to sure when I first saw cars with them but the more I see the more I appreciate the safety implications of having them.

Hello again,

I see a mention of the DRL's. Are they available yet? The Yaris brochure had "available Jan 2012" in very small letters. I wasn't to sure when I first saw cars with them but the more I see the more I appreciate the safety implications of having them.

When we picked ours up in November we asked about them, the dealer said they had been discontinued but he said if they would be superseded as it appears they were a factory fitted option. We spoke to hime just after Christmas but he had no news, we are due to speak again towards the end of the month, hopefully he will have some news then?

regards

• Like 1

Hello again, I see a mention of the DRL's. Are they available yet? The Yaris brochure had "available Jan 2012" in very small letters. I wasn't to sure when I first saw cars with them but the more I see the more I appreciate the safety implications of having them.
When we picked ours up in November we asked about them, the dealer said they had been discontinued but he said if they would be superseded as it appears they were a factory fitted option. We spoke to hime just after Christmas but he had no news, we are due to speak again towards the end of the month, hopefully he will have some news then? regards

Did he say why they were discontinued at all because I picked up the new yaris about 2 weeks ago and mentioned that I wanted to upgrade my lights and to add the DRLs and he didn't seem to mention anything about them being discontinued. Confused face.

There does seem to be some confusion here. When I ordered my Yaris the dealer could find no trace of the DRLs but concluded they were probably a dealer fit as they were under accessories in the brochure. I was planning to contact him again at the end of January to see if he had a update. I have found an on line supplier that has genuine Toyota accessories, some of which my dealer knew nothing about so I may ask them. In the meantime if anyone finds out anything definite could they lets us all know. Thanks

Nigel

T In the meantime if anyone finds out anything definite could they lets us all know. Thanks Nigel

This is via an email from my dealer that we bought ours from

at the moment the option of daytime lights is not on the options list will keep you posted

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got off the phone to the dealer I picked up my Yaris from. The DRLs (whether they're new ones or the original ones mentioned in the brochure) should be in stock this week sometime and they are going to give me a call back tomorrow with prices and info so I'll mention and ask if or why the other ones were discontinued.

Eren

I've just got off the phone to the dealer I picked up my Yaris from. The DRLs (whether they're new ones or the original ones mentioned in the brochure) should be in stock this week sometime and they are going to give me a call back tomorrow with prices and info so I'll mention and ask if or why the other ones were discontinued.

Eren

My dealer mailed me last night, they are now available as a dealer fit option. Approximate fitting time is half day, cost £465 supply and fitted.

Will be booking it in to get them fitted

• 4 weeks later...

Eren

My dealer mailed me last night, they are now available as a dealer fit option. Approximate fitting time is half day, cost £465 supply and fitted.

When I first saw that quote I thought 'ouch' but then thinking about it that's not actually that bad. I've been toying with the idea for a while now but I'm yet to see a Yaris with the DRLs. Have you had them done just yet? It'd be great to see a photo of it if so. I'm wondering how it will affect my insurance however, given that technically they could be classed as a safety feature I'm hoping it won't be too bad!

Eren

Eren

When I first saw that quote I thought 'ouch' but then thinking about it that's not actually that bad. I've been toying with the idea for a while now but I'm yet to see a Yaris with the DRLs. Have you had them done just yet? It'd be great to see a photo of it if so. I'm wondering how it will affect my insurance however, given that technically they could be classed as a safety feature I'm hoping it won't be too bad!

Eren

Eren

Eren

Still cannot fathom out how to embed a photo but here is a link to the car with the lights http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/media/410

They tell me they had to remove the dash to connect wires, so thats why i assume its quite expensive. The car is a T-spirit with auto headlights, so they go off when the lights come on.

regards

£465, thats barmy.

I got to be honest, they do look very good. Although, will it affect my insurance if I fitted them?

Also, as we're on the subject of lights; I've wanted to upgrade my headlamps to HIDs but the colour temperature I'm looking for is 6000k and I was wondering if a straight conversion is OK to do or do you need to have the headlamp washer installed because of the burning temperature?

Hi Eren... HIDs are normally cooler than normal 55w bulbs. Im thinking of doint them on my new 2012 T-Spirit.... But have seen the headlamps and tail lamps of the Yaris HSD... And i reaaaallly like them!

Hi Eren... HIDs are normally cooler than normal 55w bulbs. Im thinking of doint them on my new 2012 T-Spirit.... But have seen the headlamps and tail lamps of the Yaris HSD... And i reaaaallly like them!

They look amazing on the HSD! I've seen a couple of Yarises on the web with HIDs but I wouldn't want to change them and it ruins either the lenses or any of the fittings inside it.

Thanks

EDIT: Apologies, double post there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links