Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing Dashmount Cradle On Rav4.3

Hoovie

Installing Dashmount Cradle on RAV4.3

Difficulty - Easy

Time - 15 minutes.

Tools - Trim Removal Tool; Philips P1 Screwdriver

Introduction

Secure mounting of portable devices such as Sat-Nav units, 'Safety Camera' detectors, etc are important to avoid loose gadgets potentially flying around the cabin.

The windscreen sucker fitments can work well, but they have a tendency to vibrate due to the flexible goose-neck these holders often have, and a solid bracket usually work best.

The Dashmount is one of the two most popular brackets (The Brodit being the other). This guide shows how to install the Dashmount.

Procedure

Remove the right hand radio trim with a trim removal tool or similar device (I used an 'L' shaped bracket with insulation tape on the end to prevent scratches

Screen-trimoff.jpg

I also slid two plastic cards between the dash and the trim piece and put the trim tool between the two to make absolutely sure of no scratching.

The Dashmount for the RAV4.3 secures into place with the single philips screw (circled in red below)

RAV43-DM-1-1.jpg

Simply remove the screw, position the Dashmount bracket and refit the screw

RAV43-DM-2.jpg

The trim piece is then refitted by simply pushing back into place. It is a snug fit already, and with the bracket in place, a firm push will be needed to get the trim back in place, but it WILL go back neatly.

RAV43-DM-3.jpg

And that completes the installation of the Dashmount Bracket.

Additional Info

You can now fit an appropriate cradle to the bracket to allow your device to be held securely.

The mobile device I wanted to use is an HTC Sensation phone, which I wanted in good view to use the CamerAware application for warning of 'safety' cameras.

I had been using one of the goose-neck windscreen holders while I was looking for a bracket and this suffered the usual problem of shaking, which I find very annoying personally when glancing at the screen.

RAV43-DM-0.jpg

I simply unclipped the phone cradle from the holder and secured it to the new Dashmount bracket with two ty-wraps (I have found using ty-wraps for this 100% reliable for this task for the last few cars and cradles highly recommend this method)

RAV43-DM-4.jpg

(Black ty-wraps would be virtually invisible and I'll be swapping from the clear to the black soon as I can find them!)

Total Cost:

Dashmount was £9.49 including shipping; HTC Phone Cradle was part of a £18 set of accessories (including the gooseneck holder, 5 x cases, leads, charger and 2 x batteries!)

Very tidy Dave !! Would You please PM me a link to where I can but the bracket and a mount for the I phone ? Would one of those Brodit mounts fix to that ???

Did You need to dis connect the Battery before taking the connection off the 4wd switch ??

Thanks !!

Very tidy Dave !! Would You please PM me a link to where I can but the bracket and a mount for the I phone ? Would one of those Brodit mounts fix to that ??? Did You need to dis connect the battery before taking the connection off the 4wd switch ?? Thanks !!

Hi, I'll send the link to the seller of the dashmount (eBay seller and fast turnround)

Phone brackets I tend to just search either eBay or Expansys.com. I have only had one Brodit bracket and TBH I didn't like it - not keen of sticky tape for securing - I may have got the wrong type of brodit though, given how most people like them.

As long as there are holes in the phone crdle/mount then you can marry the two together in some way (ty-wraps!! :) )

Disconnect Battery before 4WD switch ... I didn't (but maybe I should have?)

Very good advice and good pics Hoovie.

I have a window suck mounted phone holder,as you mention, the long bendy tail does boing around a lot.

I just piggy tailed it , back on itself,and let the phone holder rest on part of the piggy tail.

Solid now.

And being the non techy person i am....i have just found,' play via radio ' on my phone...its great,just tune radio into same wavelength as phone transmits.

It now plays all my fav tunes via Rav's radio.....simples :P

I tried having the phone kind of pushed against the side pillar to stock the shaking but never got it quite there :)

Your comment ...",' play via radio ' on my phone...its great,just tune radio into same wavelength as phone transmits." sounds very interesting.

So your phone can act as a FM transmitter! not heard of that before - what phone do you have?

I tried having the phone kind of pushed against the side pillar to stock the shaking but never got it quite there :)

Your comment ...",' play via radio ' on my phone...its great,just tune radio into same wavelength as phone transmits." sounds very interesting.

So your phone can act as a FM transmitter! not heard of that before - what phone do you have?

Just a plain nokia C7-00,nowt special...this function is in the music menu,i simply select a ' quiet ' FM station on radio,the phone asks to be tuned into same freq.

I use 100.50 FM and the radio picks up the phone's transmittion,use radio to adjust volume,flick / shuffle / play tunes on phone.

Can you send me the link please Hoovie?

BTW I've pinned this and the Ipod instructions

Nice and simple, good one! :)

Quick dumb question... Is this the official dashmount cradle for the RAV4? Rare to find car parts made in Norway...

Nice and simple, good one! :)

Quick dumb question... Is this the official dashmount cradle for the RAV4? Rare to find car parts made in Norway...

Dashmount is a Norwegian company :)

• 5 years later...

Hi I am sorry if this is a thread jack but would you have a installations guide for a 1991 4Runner.

Kind Regards

Scott