Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 Stroke In Diesel

Stupidmia

Just been reading a thread on a Honda forum and they are recommendind 200ml of 2 stroke to be added with each tank of fuel!

Apparently somrthing to do with adding lubrication that is now lacking since the reduction in sulphur levels in diesel.

Has this been discussed before?

Has anybody tried it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daveyonthemove

• jedi134

• dervdave

• Tech01

Just been reading a thread on a Honda forum and they are recommendind 200ml of 2 stroke to be added with each tank of fuel! Apparently somrthing to do with adding lubrication that is now lacking since the reduction in sulphur levels in diesel.

All the reading you`ll want on the subject :D

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

Lot of reading there!

Does anyone add it to their Rav? Would it benefit the 180 engine?

Lot of reading there! Does anyone add it to their Rav? Would it benefit the 180 engine?

Under the present warranty claims on the 2.2d I wouldn`t advise it

I've just put 250ml in my Auris today (What a coincidence).

I'm about to cover 400-500 miles in the next few days, so i should notice any difference by the weekend.

I will let you know if I think it's worth it or not, and advise on any improvements/issues etc.

To make it fair, the wife will be driving the car first tomorrow and she doesn't know that i've done it yet, so if she spots a difference it can't be a placebo.

I wouldnt be suprised if most of the diesel additives had some form of 2 stroke based on the advertised benefits.

I`ve tried it in my Rav, 2 tank fulls, cant say I`ve noticed any difference.......other than it made me feel better knowing theres some extra lubrication in there? Maybe it needs more tank fulls to feel the benefit?

The Landrover forums swear by it,........ quoting... lower emissions, quiter engine, better MPG, more torque.............

Ive noticed non of the above in my Rav...........

I posted this on the Club-Xm.co.uk forum recently, following discussion there about 2T oil in diesel...

I've continued to add 2T oil at 0.5% to my Toyota RAV4 D4D (direct injection), and am now on my 5th tankful of the mix. As explained before, I wasn't looking for any mpg improvement, but I can report a small improvement - 1-2mpg - after careful logging.

The engine continues to run noticeably quieter (particularly when warmed up), and smoother and with better low-down torque. Altogether less "diesely", and more pleasant to drive. Tickover when warm is particularly quiet.

XM 2.5TD has had Millers, and now Wynns, additive for years. I'll try the 2T on it later in the year.

A reminder, though, to anyone else who wants to try it . . . The various forums all recommend avoiding 100% synthetic 2T, and going instead for semi-synthetic, or, preferably mineral-based 2T oil.

Interesting too to look on the web for what the active ingredients are in a couple of the more established and effective diesel fuel additives:

Wynns Diesel System Treatment See http://www.wynns.eu/...695_EN_MSDS.pdf

2-ethyl hexyl nitrate (2EHN) - cetane improver [5-10%]

naphthalene - combustion improver [0.25-0.5%]

solvent for naphtha (naphtha is naturally a waxy solid) [2.5-5%]

and . . . surprise surprise! . . .

kerosene - base bulking-up/dispersant, and presumably lubricity agent [greater than 75%] !

Now, smelling and looking much the same, and also to be added at 1:1000 to the tank:

Millers Diesel Power Ecomax (Previous versions called Dieselclean, Diesel Power Plus, etc.)

2EHN - 50-70%

D-Limonene - aroma agent! - less than 1%

and a mysterious

"Component 72248" - 30-50%

The 2EHN (cetane improver) quantities seem to vary enormously between the products, but I have no idea what the concentrations/dilutions might be, so it's difficult to compare. 2EHN a massive industrial product (China, India...), with many references to the fuel industry.

Naphthalene as a fuel improver has a long and fascinating history. Try Googling it. It has even been known for mothballs to be added to diesel fuel to improve it!

I did try Googling "72248". Lots and lots of product links. One of them was even a 2T oil !

Chris

After about 1 tankful. Settled down to quieter and more pleasant running from then on.

C.

for me a no-brainer, do that since the 80s with all my diesels.

my 1988 renault 25 turbo-d got over 550,000km after she went to the scrap yard after a crash, engine was still 100%. and my current sorento likes it too. about 300ml per full tank.

So would using a spolge of two-stroke be an ALTERNATIVE to using a Premium Fuel such as Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, or IN ADDITION to a Premium Fuel?

Good for mostly older Engines or beneficial to new as well? D-CAT Compatible?

Been reading the thread and posts with interest, but can't quite make out in what circumstances you would use this and when you would (or should?) not.

Certainly across the Toyota, BMW and Land Rover forums anyone who has tried it gets a positive result from it.

I would just like Toyota, BMW or Land Rover themselves to say it does no harm.

hi hoovie,

i put it in all the diesels i had / have even in the hilux d4d with no problems, and that hilux had an excellent mpg :)

i do use the v-power if available and skip the supermarket fuels ;) but that's more to keep everything happy

@marsky,

even merc did use it when they introduced the e class and drove them from germany to china...

Hmmmmmmmm I might try it again then? I used tesco 2 stroke mineral red stuff, £4.50 for 1 liter and usually put in 300ml to a tank full...

I will have to try harder to notice the difference.......I only put it in because I use sainsburys crap fuel...........

I don`t use TS in the Verso although I`ve used it in all my other diesels (except the Jag).

I prefer to use Millers which to my mind provdes the same benefits and works out cheaper .

And V-Power diesel of course :D

i buy 50 litre drums from eBay and have a small 1 litre bottle with 300ml marks on it in the vehicle.

My first run on 2T and Diesel has been very positive.

First impressions are,

Car feels smoother when pulling away.

Car feels like it runs on easier when in gear. Hard to explain, but almost feels like its in neutral as it coasts further.

Car is definitely quieter. Wife commented on it less than 5 miles into the journey, and when she took it to London this afternoon, I waved her off and noticed that the engine purred along quietly, and the Turbo whistle was louder than any diesel clatter.

Also, and this is a big bonus.... MPG has improved.

I know its milder at the moment, but even in the summer I have never achieved more than 48 on one occasion, and all other MPG recordings have been around the 42-45 area.

Today I recorded this on a run to B`ham and back (Mostly m/way driving) with cruise set at 70mph.

2012-02-15_14-21-12_826.jpg

The wife just emailed me a pic a few mins ago after she arrived, and she has got it above 48mpg.

My engine has never run so well, and has NEVER hit high 40`s with the wife driving (last time she had it she managed 39).

This is my personal findings after the car has completed 200+ miles on Shell extra with 250ml of 2T in the tank.

I`m aware that others may have differing findings or opinions, and will not enter into an online argument about it, I just wanted to add my findings to the thread for others to read.

HTH

Dave

So would using a spolge of two-stroke be an ALTERNATIVE to using a Premium Fuel such as Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, or IN ADDITION to a Premium fuel?

A good question, Hoovie.

None of us is really sure just what is in Premium Diesel, compared to the standard stuff. The oil companies claims for Premium include lower emissions, better lubricity, more power, and a cleaning action for pumps, injectors, and so on.

All these benefits are exactly those which products like Wynn's Diesel System Treatment and Millers Diesel Power Ecomax are intended to deliver. Both products contain at least one cetane improver, which is also claimed in some of the oil companies' bumf.

My guess is that

• Premium diesel = Standard diesel + cetane improvers (and whatever)
  • Standard diesel -- cetane improvers (and whatever) = Supermarket diesel

• You might as well buy decent Standard diesel, and add the dash of Wynn's or Millers, and save the difference

2T oil probably provides the lubricity, and in tests has shown a small increase in available power (it improves the burn), but probably doesn't have the cleaning effect.

I cannot say whether the addition of 2T is suitable for all diesel engines, especially the newest ones and D-CATs. It's interesting (and depressing) to note, according to some owners here, that some of these new engines seem incapable of running on good standard diesel, and clog up, choke their DPFs, and interact unhelpfully with even certain premium oils of normal grade!

Best to look on the bright side, though . . . (Don't ask.)

Chris

My first run on 2T and Diesel has been very positive. First impressions are, Car feels smoother when pulling away. Car feels like it runs on easier when in gear. Hard to explain, but almost feels like its in neutral as it coasts further. Car is definitely quieter. Wife commented on it less than 5 miles into the journey, and when she took it to London this afternoon, I waved her off and noticed that the engine purred along quietly, and the Turbo whistle was louder than any diesel clatter. Also, and this is a big bonus.... MPG has improved. I know its milder at the moment, but even in the summer I have never achieved more than 48 on one occasion, and all other MPG recordings have been around the 42-45 area. Today I recorded this on a run to B`ham and back (Mostly m/way driving) with cruise set at 70mph. 2012-02-15_14-21-12_826.jpg The wife just emailed me a pic a few mins ago after she arrived, and she has got it above 48mpg. My engine has never run so well, and has NEVER hit high 40`s with the wife driving (last time she had it she managed 39). This is my personal findings after the car has completed 200+ miles on shell extra with 250ml of 2T in the tank. I`m aware that others may have differing findings or opinions, and will not enter into an online argument about it, I just wanted to add my findings to the thread for others to read. HTH Dave

Pleased you found using TS to be so good Dave ;)

Its reckoned that TS burns cleaner and more complete than diesel itself so shouldn`t be a problem for DPFs and Cats.

Dunno if Toyota would agree though :lol:

Its reckoned that TS burns cleaner and more complete than diesel itself so shouldn`t be a problem for DPFs and Cats.

Dunno if Toyota would agree though :lol:

Thats the way I see it.

If 2 stroke oil burns better, and creates less ash than diesel on its own, then it is unlikely to create more soot in the DPF, it should reduce it.

I`ve found the engine to run far smoother and the MPG to increase, and in my eyes that should be a result of a better/more efficient fuel burn.

I don`t care what Toyota say about using it, if the car runs better and the fuel pump is getting better lubrication (the main reason i`m doing it) then anything else is a bonus and I will carry on until i see a good reason not to.