Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket - Any Hints ?

DG2.2

I have a 2005 D4d T3x that has done 59000 ( chain drive engine ) and have read on this forum that the head gaskets on these go on quite a regular basis. Despite the low milage Im still a little worried as to the Gasket problem that the 2.2 seems to suffer from .

I appreciate Mr T having a 7 year 100,00 + miles warranty but is there any signs that I need to look out for as my car is approaching the 7 year point but not the high milage.

My heater works a1 and blows hot all the time when I need it , the coolant hasnt moved for ages and I check the oil and coolant on a weekly basis . Am I being paranoid ?

Any advice or hints/tips on what to look for / expect would be appreciated .

Ok,first of all don't expect the temp gauge to go up,if it does It's to late,check around the expansion tank,It's the white bottle near the fan,if there is any pink residue around there It's gone,first sign I had was the engine fan stayed on just a bit longer than normal in traffic

Welcome to TOC.

Your doing the right stuff by cheaking the fluid levels. Keep a look out for a black tinge in the pink coolant and for any white splatter marks onto of the black engine cover. Just have to remember that there are thousands of these cars out there that dont suffer any problem! Its just a forum like this one that high lights the few that have gone t!ts up!... Like mine :disgust::doctor::drunk:

There are two issues withthe head gaskets on the ad series engines the first was a problem with the type of coolant used (tslc) reacted with the marerial used in the gasket and caused corrosion of the gasket resulting in gasket failure .the second issue was due to carbon stamping which is in laymans terms a build of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber caused by oil burning / if u can picture the piston comes up to tdc and forces this carbon into the compressoon ring of the gasket causing it to fold upward and return when the piston goes down. this folding process eventually causes the gasket to fail .if ur vehicle isnt consuming an abnormal amount of oil and u use a gud quality fuel and a 5w30 low ash (minimun requirement)oil you should be ok .

There has been a lot of talk about the type of coolant that Toyota are using in these engines which in turn causes the HG to fail!... But if that were the case I'm sure that Mr T would use another source of coolant. I belive that the new HG have been modified to help cure (If there is a link) this. At one stage I was thinking of changing the coolant to VW G12 plus plus! as I've not seen any problems with this pink juice...

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 (C2 spec) meets the low ash content and also VW's highest 507 00 specs having a good TBN (Total Base Number) and VI (Viscosity Index).

I have had 2 dealer rebuilt 3/4 engines to date. The 1st had the modified HG but still it failed after 8000mls! 2nd engine has done over 10,000mls now. I have a Snap-on sniffer test kit that I use once a month to see if all's okay. Shame that the 2AD engine has had so many problem with EGR coking and piston carbonization, as this is one of the nicest diesels I've driven to date.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links