Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Does 'dab Ready' Mean?

scgf

I have ordered a 2012Aygo Ice and I notice from the specs the audio system is 'DAB Ready'. This applies only to the ice model.

Anyone know what 'DAB Ready' actually means?

'DAB ready' means that, although the head unit does not have a DAB tuner/receiver, it is capable of receiving DAB using a DAB adapter. Similar to 'HD Ready' TV's - capable of receiving High Definition pictures from an external source (ie set top box), but does not have an HD tuner built in.

'DAB ready' means that, although the head unit does not have a DAB tuner/receiver, it is capable of receiving DAB using a DAB adapter. Similar to 'HD Ready' TV's - capable of receiving High Definition pictures from an external source (ie set top box), but does not have an HD tuner built in.

Interesting. Thanks for that. Is it possible to buy an external module yet for these DAB Ready devices? Does it mean the car aerial is already suitable for receiving DAB broadcasts?

You can buy a DAB unit from your dealer, it has its own antenna that is stuck neatly to the screen

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers. So in what way is the new head unit 'DAB Ready' and more than any other unit with a line input? If you need another aerial and an external box I can't see that it does any more than what most of us have already.

Well I suppose it means you can use the controls on the head unit rather than having another unit bolted to it and having to use those controls.

Kingo

• 4 weeks later...

I have a DAB ready head unit made by JVC and bought the DAB tuner which simply connects to the head unit and requires a special aerial or a splitter can be used as the aerial connector is very small.

I will be removing the standard head unit and the rather poor built in Tomtom and fitting my own head unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I can see that you have a 2012 model and like me you saw the DAB-Ready information. Well, in fact it means that you're stuffed like a festive turkey - with all the razzmatazz Toyota shouted about the option and even at the time of ordering my dealer was talking about it.

Toyota has since withdrawn that functionality and at present there is no dealer option for fitting DAB to the DAB-Ready radio. You really have to dig deep to find anything from Toyota about the removal of this feature and even on the day of collecting my car 500 miles ago the dealer said nothing.

When I contacted Toyota they passed me back to the dealer who said they would finance a DAB option out of their own pocket but haven't called me since. They know I want to buy the new GT so this prickly subject will be sorted sooner than later I guess.