Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox/ecu Problem

rockall

Hi all

I'm new to this forum thing so please excuse me if I'm doing it all wrong!!! I'll learn as I go along. I've joined as I have a problem which, from reading old articles on here, many of you have also had. I hoping you can offer some advice.

My 2004 RAV4 57000, on the clock suddenly developed a problem with the transmission today, felt like I was trying to drive with handbrake on and then would appear to jump in and out of drive with engine reving like mad. EML came on. Car was lifted to independent garage ( same one who service the car and seem very competent) and am awaiting their diagnosis in the morning. However thought I would get ahead of the game and seek any other advice or help.

Is it likely to be the ECU? Are the Brooklyn guys still the best option? Is there anyone in the UK?

Really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Welcome to the club Richard :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Another member used a UK company and had problems. Can't remember who the member was or what the company was but lots of us questioned why on earth they didn't just use the Brooklyn guys in the first place.

Maybe someone with a better memory than me will be able to point you to the relevant thread.

Thanks for that . That's what I'm hoping for

Hi richard

The name of the uk firm was ECU Testing in Heanor Derbys but as stated a member did use them but was not very happy with the outcome.

Maybe they have now sorted the problems out,who knows?

If you want to try them.PM me and I will give you the phone no.

Del

Hi Del

Thank you so much. I suppose I will just have to see what my garage says tomorrow - but I feel a battle coming on................... and as a pensioner I just don't need it

Richard

Here you go Richard: http://www.toyotaown...ic=117915&st=30

Worth reading the whole thread if you haven't done so already.

All that being said, you need to be sure it's the ECU first :thumbsup:

I seem to remember the service was really fast (according to the member who used them) from The Brooklyn Folks too, Richard....welcome aboard and good luck.

Big Kev

Thanks for that Kev still waiting for my garage blokes to get back to me. Will keep you all posted,and many thank so far.

For info only

First of all I am in no way pushing or recommending ECU Testing.

Out of curiosity I checked them on line and they do now list repairs to ECUs to address this fault.

Perhaps with the discount kindly arranged by Anchs for club members it may work out cheaper.

Del

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Now for chapter two :- My garage fella's came back with a" faulty speed sensor (A)" and assure me that they could find no logged faults on the transmission ecu. They cleared the fault and the car runs fine now but with the EML still on. They have ordered a new sensor from Mr T and will fit this when it arrives. Have got the car home for the weekend with instructions not to go far but now the speedo is not working.Has anyone else had this happen and do you think this fault might be to do with this speed sensor?

Also we have a trip planned to the Outer Hebrides at the end of May, self ,wife and two dogs and now getting worried that our Rav will be reliable on this long trip. We seem to have had a lot of niggling problems with this car e.g O2 sensors. Alternator belt tensioner, Battery problems etc. Have we just been unlucky or do they start to give trouble after a certain age? I really don't want to breakdown on North Uist (look it up, it's a long way from help).

Any thoughts?

Richard

The problems you mention seem to me only the sort of things you expect to have to change over the course of time

I suspect when you get this sorted your confidence in your wheels will return.

Glad to hear that it's not thought to be a trans problem,heres hoping they are right.

All the best with this

Del