Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2007 Cruise Retrofit Problem

downtime

I bought the advertised Toyota Cruise Control stalk + wiring from kbank through eBay.

The same that everyone else has bought.

Finished installing that yesterday to my father-in-laws LHD 2007 RAV4 2.0 VVT-I Luxury. Everything was okay except that the cruise won't set. The cruise light lights up when pressing the button at the end of thr stalk but when cruising the cruise won't set. Basically only the on/off button works.

Could someone please give me some hints from where to look for missing wires etc. Or does the car need to go to Toyota so that they can activate the cruise stalk with their diagnostic computer.

Thanks for any help.

Just checking - you are familiar with the setting routine?

Press button on end of stalk to switch on and then flick down to set..........

Is there sufficient movement on the stalk to allow it to set?

Yes. I'm familiar with the routine. My previous car was 2009 Avensis. There's enough space to move.

I presume it's either missing a wire somewhere or the stalk needs to programmed in to the cars ecu.

Don't know. I presumed it was more or less plug'play ;)

How can I check if it's there? And if it's missing does that mean that the cruise won't activate without it?

And if the switch is missing, how hard is it to install?

Thanks.

Ok I'll check it. Will be a while though as the car is not near.

I googled and the switch itself does not seem to be very expensive. What puzzles me is that the csr should not start without pressing the clutch. Well it does. It has a normal key and not the keyless system.

But does the missing switch cause the cruise to not set

Thanks again.

If your dash is displaying cruise then it must be on, you need to be doing more than 30mph and not changing gear or it disengages it. Hold your speed on the throttle and hold the stalk down for a second to set it. Mine worked straight away on 2.2 XT4 2006 with no need to do anything else.

If your dash is displaying cruise then it must be on, you need to be doing more than 30mph and not changing gear or it disengages it. Hold your speed on the throttle and hold the stalk down for a second to set it. Mine worked straight away on 2.2 XT4 2006 with no need to do anything else.

Thanks, but like I wrote before that I'm very familiar with the Toyota cruise. I tried it several times while driving over 60mph. And no I did not touch the brake or the clutch.

This is something else. Maybe the stalk is faulty?

Maybe the stalk is faulty, you tried pulling it fwd to cancel position an then back to see if the contacts have shifted?

Maybe there's some difference on LHD models?

My guess is there's something missing in the CC circuit ie clutch switch? And it won't enable?

Should throw a code, worth a scan?

I would definitely check if it has a clutch switch. I am in the process of fitting cruise to a 4.2 and lack of a clutch switch does disable cruise operation. I think you will still get an on light without one.

It needs the clutch switch to disable cruise, otherwise the engine would over rev if you depress the clutch in cruise.

Your local Toyota dealer will stock them approx £15.

If you have a Techstream you can scan the cruise ECU an see the operation of all the interface components.

Clutch switch, brake switch and stalk buttons.

I don't think you can access cruise errors with a standard OB2 interface, that is really just for basic engine functions.

You can check out the cruise stick with a simple multimeter, but I doubt that this is at fault.

(The attached document is for a 4.2 but the stalk is the same.)

Cruise switch circuit.pdf

I would definitely check if it has a clutch switch. I am in the process of fitting cruise to a 4.2 and lack of a clutch switch does disable cruise operation. I think you will still get an on light without one.

It needs the clutch switch to disable cruise, otherwise the engine would over rev if you depress the clutch in cruise.

You local Toyota dealer will stock them approx £15.

If you have a Techstream you can scan the cruise ECU an see the operation of all the interface components.

Clutch switch, brake switch and stalk buttons.

I don't think you can access cruise errors with a standard OB2 interface, that is really just for basic engine functions.

You can check out the cruise stick with a simple multimeter, but I doubt that this is at fault.

(The attached document is for a 4.2 but the stalk is the same.)

Thanks Ian. I'll check the cruise switch if it's there. It shouldn't be too difficult to install if it's missing. At least if it's even close to how it's installed in Yaris.

After doing some more research it seems so that IanXt4 and Jedi are right on the money. The clutch switch is absent.

The symptoms are exactly the same what we are having if it is not there. The cruise light lights up but nothing happens with the stalk. So I'm going to order a proper clutch switch and wiring for it from Toyota.

Could someone post the correct part numbers for those please? Also if someone has pictures on how to install the clutch switch that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really mean it.

Can't get at my manuals at the moment but they are easy to fit and the wires should be there.

I guess what could be missing is hill start control (which is present on all but UK XT3 I think). That would explain the missing switch.

Can't get at my manuals at the moment but they are easy to fit and the wires should be there.

I guess what could be missing is hill start control (which is present on all but UK XT3 I think). That would explain the missing switch.

Hmm... According to the brochure it says that 2007 - 2008 model year MT gearbox RAV's in fact have the HAC (Hill assist control or whatever it's called) as standard equipment on all trim levels. Could it still miss the switch even if the HAC system is present?

Because the symptoms suggest there's no switch. There was another similar problem discussed in Finnish car forum where someone retrofitted a CC to Toyota Corolla Verso (the previous model not the latest shuttle model).

He had exactly the same problem. CC light was on but that's all the switch did. After installing the clutch switch the CC started working ok.

If you happen to gain access to your manuals, I would be very interested to take a peek :) Thank you.

Just had mine fitted to XT4 2007, and all works fine. Hope you get it sorted op.

Hi

I fitted one about a week ago (late 2006 XT4) and have exactly the same problem - get the CC light on the dash but won't set.

I was about to check the switch but sounds like it's the same issue so would be grateful for any info about the clutch switch and wiring.

TIA

I cannot comment on a 2006 but on the earlier versions (2004) the brake light switch has 4 connections/wires. Two for a brake light and two for the (not fitted) cruise control. If you follow the wires from the brake switch it goes to a connector which has 6 wires coming in. Four obviously go to the brake switch two are unconnected. The two extra wires are for the clutch switch.

A cruise fitted car would have a different lead that would go to the clutch switch and brake switch.

The best thing is to get a torch poke your head underneath and have a good look around the clutch pedal either for a two wire connector that is maybe taped up out of the way or a similar arrangement to a 2004.

Hi

I fitted one about a week ago (late 2006 XT4) and have exactly the same problem - get the CC light on the dash but won't set.

I was about to check the switch but sounds like it's the same issue so would be grateful for any info about the clutch switch and wiring.

TIA

When you check the clutch switch could you tell here also what are your findings? I don't have access to the car as it's 80km's away.

Regarding the question that if HAC is available there should also be clutch switch in place. But isn't the HAC using the brake switch for this? Because also automatic's have the same function and there's no clutch there. Because the Hill assist activates when you release your foot from the brake. If you use handbrake then the HAC won't be activated.

Update :

I took the plunge and bought the clutch switch from official Toyota dealer. Less than 30 euros so not bad. Does not come with a wire but I presume there's a wire with connector in the car near the clutch?

Right I've just had a good look

Definately no clutch switch fitted

There is a two wire white connector (blue and black) close to where it looks like the clutch switch would fit. Maybe someone with a switch can confirm this is the right one as ithere is another black connector buried further behiond the dash.

I guess the clutch switch has normally closed contacts which open when the switch is operated which is why our CC won't work. If it's the right connector I'll test it by just shorting the wires together.

I'm waiting for my torch to charge up then I'll try and take a couple of photos

Hi

TIA

When you check the clutch switch could you tell here also what are your findings? I don't have access to the car as it's 80km's away.

Regarding the question that if HAC is available there should also be clutch switch in place. But isn't the HAC using the brake switch for this? Because also automatic's have the same function and there's no clutch there. Because the Hill assist activates when you release your foot from the brake. If you use handbrake then the HAC won't be activated.

Update :

I took the plunge and bought the clutch switch from official Toyota dealer. Less than 30 euros so not bad. Does not come with a wire but I presume there's a wire with connector in the car near the clutch?

Do you have the part number for the switch? and can you let me know how you get on when it's fitted?

Thanks

Hi

TIA

Update :

Do you have the part number for the switch? and can you let me know how you get on when it's fitted?

Thanks

I have the part number on the bag in which the switch came in. I'll put it here later when I get off from work.

Like I wrote that it might take some time for me to have the change to fit this as the car is not near me. I'll write here what's the outcome when the fitting is done.

I'm 99% sure that the problem is the missing switch and that was the same thing the Toyota dealer I got the switch from suggested. They've also done these retrofit's to few customers and in all cases the car needed the stalk + wiring and a clutch switch.

Edit :

I can do better it seems. I've attached a picture which shows the actual switch and the bag with the part number in it :)

post-80231-0-72876700-1337150071_thumb.j

How much was the switch?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links