Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 Auto Issue Won't Engage Neutral

dave9403945

Hi,

Got a 2008 avensis 1.8 auto.

I've got this problem where it won't go into Neutral form Drive (well it might with a bit of wiggling or occasionally do it). It goes into Neutral from Park OK.

Two other people on here had a similar problem last year it seems, and the OP in that thread describes the problem very well, it's exactly as it is for me:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120075

But no answer is on that thread and I couldn't find anything else about it.

(Generally moving from Park to Neutral and Neutral to Drive etc maybe feels a bit stiff too, otherwise works as expected.)

Wonder if anyone knows about this fault please?

Thanks

The shift between the various gearbox positions is controlled by cables from the lever to the gearbox. It is possible that the cable needs adjusting because it has stretched in use.

Fitter

Cable fault and might be worth lubricating the little arm at the end of the cable on the gearbox end.

Nice and easy to get to.

Positive comment tho....it will not be a gearbox internal fault.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info guys. Will be taking it into Toyota as it's under warrantee but good to know it is probably just a cable issue.

Is it standard practice to lubricate the little arm or will they just adjust the cable?

Oh dear taken it into Toyota and they are saying that it is a very labour intensive job because they have to disassemble gearbox as they don't know what problem is yet. I did mention about cable but they said they have to disassemble to get at it.

This doesn't seem to fit with what Phil and Fitter said above and also they said it might not be covered under warranty if it is wear and tear.

Do I trust them or is it time for alarm bells to start ringing and maybe even pull car out before they start?

sound of alarm bells.

undo the nut at the gearbox end of lever and see if the cable selects gear any easier or if you can move the arm easy on the gearbox

So SO SO easy job,

I could have that nut off and diagnose if its gearbox or cable with in three mins

ALARM bells

where are you mate?

It will not be an internal gearbox fault

Oh b*****r!

Will try and pull car out and get a second opinion. Did authorise work earlier rather stupidly when they phoned me up as was under pressure but don't think they were starting till tomorrow. It is the dealer I recently bought the car off so would have liked to have trusted them but full gearbox dismantle does sound drastic when they don't even have idea what problem is on further thought, and obviously with your confirmation too Phil.

In Manchester area BTW.

Well phoned up this morning and they had already started.

But at least this morning when I asked for further info they did say specifically they were not dismantling gearbox (phew) but they were still trying to determine if it was gearbox or gear selector and were hoping it would just be a case of adjusting gear selector.

I don't know what the "labour intensive" and "dismantle gearbox" was all about yesterday, hopefully they were just being a bit too general but then I did mention cable - maybe they just meant it was a faff to get at cable, but doesn't sound so according to your description Phil.

Anyway, they do seem to be making a meal of it but at least they aren't taking gearbox apart so fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

So just to update everyone in the end they replaced the transmission cable and switch on account of the "ball joint on gear cable being seized" (as it said on worksheet). It has been covered under warranty and in end am satisfied that they have done a thorough job, and relieved that the gearbox remains intact! (Of course there is a rattle near the gearbox trim that wasn't there before but unfortunately unless you do it yourself I always find this, and the shifting is now feeling alot better and working as expected.)

According to the worksheet the cost of the work was about £300.

Whether it really needed replacing or whether the grease advised above would have worked I don't know (i.e. for the benefit of someone who isn't under warranty). Unfortunately I also forgot to ask if this was a common problem although the service rep wasn't always that accurate or up front so don't know if the answer would have meant much.

Thanks Phil and Fitter for identifying the problem straight away while dealership took a couple of days to figure out what it was! It helped me alot knowing what the problem most likely was.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

A couple of Qs. I have this exact problem (T4 2005 Avensis Auto) and unfortunately do not have a warranty.

Phil please cold you tell about this nut, where is it? And could you tell me what the little arm at the end of the cable on the gearbox end is? I would really like to try the grease option.

Failing that could you or anyone give me advice? - is replacement of the cable and switch the only option, or is there any scope for adjustment of the Transmission/Selector cable (not sure if they are one and the same)?

Would love to see a diagram of the automatic transmission system. My workshop manual (downloaded) is missing this section.

Many thanks

Pankow

• 8 years later...

My Avensis 2003 , 1.8 automatic does sometimes freese in 3 gear , goes down to first and second gear but not up to 4 . 

Is there some vacuum valve that can cause this ?

New oil and this only happens when i slow down in roundabouts and hills . Anyone have similar problems and knows how to fix ???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links