Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck In Neutral In Central London Traffic

gee_dee_ell

I am now terrified to take my Auris into any busy town since it has twice, while waiting at traffic lights, put itself into Neutral and then refused to select any gear.

I tried selecting reverse, easy, manual, Es but all I got was the indicator on the dashboard blinking "N" and the engine revving but no drive. I Stopped the engine and re-started about half a dozen times, but all to no avail, in the end, on both occasions I had to push the car (with help) to clear the road and allow traffic to pass. I can tell you I was not popular in Marylebone Road nor on the latest occasion near Swiss Cottage ! Having switched off the engine for about 10 mins, while looking for the breakdown number I thought I would give it a last try, and to my relief the car started and the gears were back.

The first time it happened the car was stil under warranty, I took it directly to the Toyota dealer, they connected up to the analytic system but the computer did not reported a fault, so they said there was nothing they could do as the couldn't find a fault. I had hoped then that it was just a one off glitch, but this having occured again yesterday some 18 months later and the next time I was in Central London has me thinking it was not an isolated incident and there is a definite fault with the transmission. I should say my driving is almost exclusively motorway or rural and I seldom drive in heavy traffic,

That said, the MMT gearbox is without doubt the worst I have ever had the displeasure to drive and I long ago abandoned the "Easy" selector and now drive it in manual mode.

Has anyone else had similar experience ?

G D L

Hi mate and welcome on TOC!

You're not alone, I experienced the same thing couple of weeks ago. I've got only 55 000 KMs on the clock and the car is 2007 model.

I've been reading about this issue on another forum, here are some things I have found out about the issue. Different people have different thoughts, I just state what they say:

- some say it happens when the car gets older and there is clutch wear. Changing clutch and all of it's components should solve the issue

- may be related to some sort of clutch overheat

- some have changed the parts and the car is still acting in the same way

- some have taken their car to Toyota diagnostics. Nothing found and no signs of the problem in the log neither

- some experience the problem at 50 000KMs, some only after 100 000

- some say it's because of heavy traffic and overheating clutch, but in your and my case it is not like that. I was driving at night, so almost no traffic at all

This seems to be a common issue, so even it's not trackable there is hope it will be noticed by Toyota. I haven't read about it on this forum before though.

Thanks for the reply Chaser,

I think you may have misread part of my post because although most of my driving is out of town, it was in heavy traffic on both occasions that this malfunction happened. So it make sense that it might be some overheating fault.

My Auris is also 2007 and I think the first time it happened the mileage was in the order of 35,000 but now it is around 55,000 miles.

Notwithstanding, I don't think the car is fit for purpose if it doesn't stand up to urban driving.

Yeah sorry mate. I noticed while reading the post, but was then thinking about one other case mentioned on that other forum. So even it wasn't you, there was a case which took place on a quiet road.

You're right that the car should work in all circumstances. This is not the way it should act. Maybe I should visit Toyota and see what will they say about this.

So a five year old Auris has had the same issue twice in 55,000 miles, it has restarted after a wait of approx 10 minutes (presumably having cooled down), and not needed to have any repairs done.

And you're saying it is not fit for purpose?? Think a dose of realism is needed here ...

• Like 1

Do the other cars do this? No. And probably that's not the way it is supposed to work. If so many people are experiencing the same issue, I think Toyota has done something wrong.

Post from Frostyballs

So a five year old Auris has had the same issue twice in 55,000 miles, it has restarted after a wait of approx 10 minutes (presumably having cooled down), and not needed to have any repairs done.

And you're saying it is not fit for purpose?? Think a dose of realism is needed here ...

Response

I have only taken the car into heavy traffic as experience in London traffic three times and of those it has malfunctioned twice. If you think that is acceptable performance then you must be the most easily satisfied consumer on earth.

Get real yourself and if you are unable to contribute anything positive then !Removed!.

Post from Frostyballs

Response

I have only taken the car into heavy traffic as experience in London traffic times and of those it has malfunctioned twice. If you think that is acceptable performance then you must be the most satisfied consumer on earth.

Get real yourself and if you are unable to contribute anything positive then stfu.

Gee..Dee.......This type of response is not acceptable on the TOC forum.........Please refrain from posting personal insults to forum members that offer their opinions and using language which is not helpful to the discussion

My comments stand.

Yes, to date, I am quite satsified with my Auris. One fault in three years - a broken cupholder which was replaced under warranty.

So satisfed that I am looking at purchasing a new Auris.

My comments stand.

Yes, to date, I am quite satsified with my Auris. One fault in three years - a broken cupholder which was replaced under warranty.

So satisfed that I am looking at purchasing a new Auris.

Your comments were never in question........My post was to tell Gee..Dee that his response to your comment was not acceptable :)

Thanks Red Yaris 54 - my response was in reply to Gee..Dee, who questioned my satisfaction level with my current Auris. In the three years that I had my 2006 Coroilla, the only warranty repair that was done on that was the replacement of the tailgate struts due to corrosion. With my current Auris I've had one cupholder replaced.

Compare that to my neighbour's '59 reg Polo and his son's '11 reg Polo (both cars bought from new):

Neighbour - at 15000 miles was due to have the cylinder head replaced under warranty due to a known fault. Was informed by the dealer it was a common issue with this VW engine, could occur again and costs were circa £1200. As it was the dealer stripped a thread in the block, and the entire engine was replaced.

Son - had the front discs and pads replaced under warranty at 11,000 miles due to overheating - discs were blued. Same problem at 22,000 miles for which he had to pay (VW said it was their driving). Now expecting the front discs and pads to be replaced at every service.

For Frosty,

I bought the Auris because we were extremely pleased with my wife's '55 Corolla (not one thing wrong in 7 years). However the Auris is a step backward and will be the last Toyota I buy.

I was not questioning your satisfaction with your Auris, I was commenting on the fact that my Auris has out of three times in heavy traffic broken down twice and if you think that is satisfactory performance then you and I have very different views on what should be expected of items on which we have spent good money, and you must be easily pleased.

And let me tell you 10 minutes broken down in the middle lane of Marylebone Road junction with Baker Street in rush hour traffic is a darn long time.

On the contrary I am very particular.

Of the 16 cars we have owned from new (ranging from B segment cars to D segment cars and including 6 Nissans, 4 Toyotas, 2 Hondas, 3 Mazdas and 1 Hyundai) our 2009 Auris has been amongst the most reliable and problem free.

Which is why I am considering another new Auris for our 17th new car.

I bought the Auris because we were extremely pleased with my wife's '55 Corolla (not one thing wrong in 7 years).

This. I too experienced satisfaction while driving Yaris before, no faults at all. But with Auris it's all different.

The Auris was introduced into the UK in February 2007 - so you've both got early examples built in either Turkey (3 door) or Derby, UK (5 door) which seemed to be more problematical.

My 2009 Auris is one of the later Optimal Drive ones, and build quality/reliability have just not been an issue so far.

Sorry Frosty, but I disagree with your post.

Firstly, You have no idea if the OP has a disability or health problem that means pushing a car (over a tonne of weight) out of the road and up to a kerb more difficult than it would for an able bodied person.

Secondly, you compare your own reliability findings to someone else's and make out they are wrong to complain. You are right to feel that YOUR car has been reliable if the only issue you had was a broken cup holder. Its a very minor complaint and i'm amazed you even bothered to take it to Toyota for a fix if a gearbox failure wouldn't bother you?!

On the other hand, if my gearbox failed i WOULD be miffed and would take it up with Toyota, because without a gearbox, you don't have a working car. Without a cup holder you don't have a drink in a convenient place which is NOT going to prevent you getting to work, or picking up your children or doing your weekly shopping etc etc.

So my point is, enjoy your car and it's reliability, but don't give someone else a hard time because they have a serious problem with their car and have come here for some sort of guidance on a fix.

:)

Thank you Davey for your very "to the point" response. :)

Hi, had exact same prob. Took car to Arnold Clark Toyota Garage. Around 35,000 miles on clock. Repair - new actuator rod - cost £1,000. Contacted Toyota HQ and was advised that this is not a known fault. Wrote to Chairman - no reply. Head and Sand come to mind with Toyota. Wouldn't purchase another Toyota or toyota related product - ever!

Davey - that's fine if you disagree with my comments.

My comments were directed at the fact that the poster described his car at five years old and 55,000 miles, as 'not being fit for purpose'.

I commented on the satisfaction level with my Auris after the poster implied that my expectations were low and that I am easily pleased - neither of which are accurate.

Hi, had exact same prob. Took car to Arnold Clark Toyota Garage. Around 35,000 miles on clock. Repair - new actuator rod - cost £1,000.

Did this solve the problem? How much have you driven since the repair?

Davey - that's fine if you disagree with my comments.

My comments were directed at the fact that the poster described his car at five years old and 55,000 miles, as 'not being fit for purpose'.

I commented on the satisfaction level with my Auris after the poster implied that my expectations were low and that I am easily pleased - neither of which are accurate.

If the gearbox was an item that required servicing at set intervals, and those intervals had been ignored, then I would agree with you. Bad luck, take better care of your car etc etc..

But the gearbox is expected to last as long as the rest of the car, and doesn't require any special treatment or considerations above that of the normal service schedules.

So, the gearbox should last well above 55,000 miles (which is low by any standards, especially those of Toyota's) and the OP has every right to be miffed that it let him down.

The engine in my car is renowned for head gasket failure, but mine has shown no symptoms, so when someone posts on here asking for advice, I tend to relay HELPFUL info i have acquired that relates to the problem, instead of telling people that mine has only had a lighbulb blow in 36,000 miles so they should be grateful that my car is reliable.

No two cars are alike, and the next one you buy may well have a rare issue that is unlikely to be on other cars, so bare that in mind before you shoot others down for having a less reliable car than you, or a different level of expectation for a car they spent lots of money on.

• Like 1

Hi, I just wanted to add that I have had the same problem with my gearbox stuck in neutral, when this happened to me I had been parked up for 45 mins went to drive off but the car would not go into gear, I started and stopped the car several times to try to clear the problem, then it wouldn't even start, after a few panicking mins (20) I managed to get into reverse and then it would start and select gear as normal, it's not nice and not funny when this happened, my Auris is a 58 plate with 25k on the clock, I'm an annoyed lady Toyota owner, oh and yes it is the worst auto gearbox I have ever come across I would expect more from Toyota,

Hi Toylover,

I am sorry to hear that you too have had bad experience of this awful gear box, but a little relieved that it is not just me.

I have booked mine in to be investigated next Monday. I ampretty sure the outcome will be just as before and the Toyota main dealer will not be able to find a fault, but I hope maybe to be proved wrong.

Please tell us how it went after visiting your dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gee-Dee .. my car was sticking in neutral too .. and scared the hell out of me.. I refused to drive it to the dealersto be looked at and said they had to come and get it! Now it sticks all the time in 1st or 2nd gear and guess what I have also? A 2007 MMT... it is a pain in the backside I have to say and the WORST car I have ever owned.. this is my 3rd Toyota and I was so looking forward to driving it having read the spec for the manual. I was also misled in my purchase as I knew nothing about this sort of transmission and was therefore missold the car as was told in front of a witness by the salesman that it was an automatic on several occasions.. (it is not.. its a semi automatic). The car has (TOUCH WOOD) not got stuck in neutral since it was repaired (they reactuated it ) and it has also been back in for a new clutch and recalibration and that was all within a few months of purchase. I have got used to driving this car for the most part but it is one of the most annoying and disappointing cars I have ever owned.. previous cars have been Nissans, Mazdas.. all with no problems at all, followed by my Corolla and Avensis.. the latter was a fab car..loved it.. then the Auris and to say it has a mind of its own is an understatment.

Well done to Davey too for pointing out the obvious slightly inflammatory comment on FB's response.... I found it to be unnecessary, insensitive and it would appear to be delivered in a sarcastic manner .. whether or not that was his intention, remains to be seen but we all need to remember that here there is no intonation, tongue in cheek remarks can be misunderstood as there is no non verbal comms to pick up on.. 85% of all our comms are non verbal!! So let's all play nicely eh and be kind to each other ...life is too b****y short! Its understandable that Gee-Dee was abrupt and a bit off hand with his own approach back.. I think any one of us would have responded heatedly.... A little sensitivity and understanding goes a long way.. we don't expect to come on here ask for advice and then get told to be realistic!! Gee Dee was clearly very upset by the car's lack of reliability as we all are who have more serious problems with our Auris' than cupholder issues! Lucky you FB if that is the extent of your issues! I wish I had your car! I have many and if I could sell my car tomorrow and be assured of getting a good chunk back .. it would be gone!