Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Tyre

Sgm62

Just purchased my 2005 rav4, my first toyota & I love it. A small problem is the spare wheel casing on the rear door, when I shut the rear door it reverberates quite a lot, I know I will probably have to take the whole thing off to see why, anyone else had this problem ? Thanks

Just purchased my 2005 rav4, my first toyota & I love it. A small problem is the spare wheel casing on the rear door, when I shut the rear door it reverberates quite a lot, I know I will probably have to take the whole thing off to see why, anyone else had this problem ? Thanks

Yes. I removed the cover, tyre and the backing plate (held on to door by 3 bolts), cut some pads out of a couple of sponges and glued them to the back of the backing plate so that they acted as dampers between the plate & the door itself. I also replaced the existing pads inside the cover (i.e. where it sits against the spare tyre) by gluing some sponge strips where the old ones were.

This seems to have done the trick.

O.P. must be sidekick, Jim....was just about to drop you a line re. this wee mod....thanks....so you actually removed the spare wheel heavy hanger and foamed behind it itself......?

Big Kev

O.P. must be sidekick, Jim....was just about to drop you a line re. this wee mod....thanks....so you actually removed the spare wheel heavy hanger and foamed behind it itself......?

Big Kev

Certainly did. It's dead easy, only three bolts (as far as I remember); it's also good opportunity to give everything a good clean in that area and some protective wax. You'll be amazed the kind of s**t you'll discover. Just be careful to glue the sponges on where the rear mounting is "flappiest", i.e. nearest the outer edges. Obviously you won't need any where the bolts go through the hanger and into the door.

One word of advice, I only had yellow-ish sponges so I needed to give them a dab with some of Kiwi's finest black shoe wax beforehand. Otherwise they would have been a bit noticable against the dark green paintwork (if you looked, of couse - I was perhaps a bit anal...). If you're starting from scratch, get black sponge (unless of course your car is yellow or that fetching cornsilk shade, in which case you might need to shop around for appropriate coloured sponge!).

Big Kev

Certainly did. It's dead easy, only three bolts (as far as I remember); it's also good opportunity to give everything a good clean in that area and some protective wax. You'll be amazed the kind of s**t you'll discover. Just be careful to glue the sponges on where the rear mounting is "flappiest", i.e. nearest the outer edges. Obviously you won't need any where the bolts go through the hanger and into the door.

One word of advice, I only had yellow-ish sponges so I needed to give them a dab with some of Kiwi's finest black shoe wax beforehand. Otherwise they would have been a bit noticable against the dark green paintwork (if you looked, of couse - I was perhaps a bit anal...). If you're starting from scratch, get black sponge (unless of course your car is yellow or that fetching cornsilk shade, in which case you might need to shop around for appropriate coloured sponge!).

:thumbsup:

My Solution was to remove the entire wheel cover - front and back and refit the spare so it was naked :)

The sponge pads sound like a top idea :driving:

I cut some rings off some 15mm foam pipe lagging.

Keith

Nice wan Keith....more resilient than sponge maybe....what thickness approx. ?

Big Kev

About 3/4", Kev, best thing about pipe lag is it does'nt soak up water.

Keith

About 3/4", Kev, best thing about pipe lag is it does'nt soak up water.

Keith

Great linds mink athike, mate....lots of laggy foam in stock....thanks.

The spare wheel cover on the 4.2 is a fairly disgraceful bit of design, one of the problems being that both plastic halves (inner and outer) are poorly secured to each other - small lugs and a weak and sloppy catch - that allows both bits to flap about and move relative to each other, especially when the rear door is slammed closed.

I can see the attraction of going naked (particularly with an alloy) - it looks ok, even if not too secure with standard bolts.

I've firmed up the cover halves by

1. Replacing the 'rubber' pads, and adding some extra padding between the inner cover and the door.

2. Adding 3 instrument-head 5mm x 10mm stainless self-tap screws (at 9-, 12- and 3-o'clock), which nicely keeps the two halves together.

3. Stopping the padlock on the catch from whacking about by putting a releasable cable-tie round it and the catch.

Chris