Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 03+, Clutch Pedal Verry Hard To Press

kashbg

Hi there,

Can anyone out there tell me, is it a common characteristic on the Avensis, the clutch pedal to be a bit stiff or hard to press. I have just bought this Avensis T3-s, D-4D, and I am not sure if this is a common problem on disels.

Could this be a sign of clutch wear. If not then what can I do to soften the clutch.

Thanks,

hello m8 sorry to tell you that on the diesel models the flywheel has a dual spring system to help on the smooth take up of drive when going thro the gears to stop it jurking and unfortunatly the torque of the engine breaks the dampning mechanism which results in a hard cluth pedel only fix is a new flywheel and clutch assembly

hello m8 sorry to tell you that on the diesel models the flywheel has a dual spring system to help on the smooth take up of drive when going thro the gears to stop it jurking and unfortunatly the torque of the engine breaks the dampning mechanism which results in a hard cluth pedel only fix is a new flywheel and clutch assembly

Thanks for the explanation. It is true that I have mostly owned so far petrol cars. This is my first diesel.

only fix is a new flywheel and clutch assembly

I take it there is different flywhels and clutches out there, can you recomend how to chose the one that would give me a softer pedal.

Thanks

i dont no if toyota do a modifyed flywheel we jst change them like for like there is a post on the forum if you wanna read up knowledge wise

i havent come across this one myself m8 but it could be a problem with the sycro hubs not shifting properly or maybe selector forks sticking but also could be a gear linkage problem check the cables on the top of the gearbox paying attention to rubbers and make sure there in the holders with the U-clips secured.

maybe worth while having a look at the mounts? but that would give movement thro all gears

Sorry mate, but in my experience you only need to replace the flywheel if it gets damaged or gets worn due to the clutch plate slipping really badly.You dont replace the flywheel because the clutch is heavy, it will not make any difference at all. You should only need to replace the clutch cover,plate and release bearing under normal wear and tear. I recently took my D-4D into Mr.T for a headlamp unit change, and they remarked on the job sheet that the clutch was "heavy", but my wife or myself have no problems changing gear at all. Hope this is some help. Jed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links