Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting A Battery To A 4.2 Rav4.

Uncle Bob

Went out to use my RAV4 today just to find the Battery dead, now from past experience working in the motor trade, anything over 3 years is a bonus for a Battery on a modern car and other cars i've has ( IS200, GEN 6 Celica, Avensis ) had all died between 3 and 4 years.

So i popped out and got a 3 year warranty jobbie and fitted it on ...£44.00

So fitting a Battery to a 2001-2006 is a little more difficult than a battery stuck in the front of the engine bay, but as it turned out only two tools are needed , a screwdriver and a 10mm socket/ratchet.

First off remove the plastic trim, first bit is the flap that clips off and the bigger trim has several black pins that pop up with the help of a screwdriver.

The battery has 10mm nuts on the terminals and a 10mm on the clamp so easy to get of with a 10mm socket and small ratchet.

Bob, often wondered about changing Battery on my 4.2 if ever needed due to unusual position.

Now I know, good info/photos :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dave.

Should have said..the alarm never went off, i had the key fob handy just in case as it kept making beeping noises, but after i reconnected the Battery it shut up :)

Bit grubby Bob. Don't you wash in there?

:rolleyes:

I did think as i took the plastic trim out ,that area was a bit of a muck trap, i'll get round to cleaning it sometime ...promise :thumbsup: .

I did think as i took the plastic trim out ,that area was a bit of a muck trap, i'll get round to cleaning it sometime ...promise :thumbsup: .

I was just pulling your leg Bob knowing that the rest of your vehicle is immaculate!

I was just pulling your leg Bob knowing that the rest of your vehicle is immaculate!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: .

It's got to be the worst place to put the Battery in the name of "Accessibility" had to jump start a work colleagues car the other day :crybaby: :crybaby: and as luck would have it, it started to rain.... could not leave her and I was a knight in wet shinny amour.... :yahoo:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

On a 2002 RAV4, the alarm system is beneath the Battery location. Also, once you remove the Battery, you can get to the rubber grommit/seal if you ever need to run a positive power cable into the cabin for amplifiers or subs. From the footwell of the passenger side, locate the rubber grommit and snip off one of the nipples - then feed your cables through, making sure to waterproof the cable/nipple joint with some tape.

What about fitting new Battery in a W reg 4.1 - year 2000 Rav4 ??

Is it a bit easier than the 4.2 job?

Hopefully just a couple of screws and lift it straight out ????

What about fitting new battery in a W reg 4.1 - year 2000 Rav4 ??

Is it a bit easier than the 4.2 job?

Hopefully just a couple of screws and lift it straight out ????

In comparison the 4.1 can almost be done with your eyes shut :P :P

Mine let me down yesterday.

Any suggestions for a heavy duty?

There is so much choice on batteries, i've always liked Bosch but when i replaced my one i just went for a 3 year warranty, as it turned out it was by Banner.........

http://www.bannerbatteries.com/banner/

If you go to your local motor factors and see what they have....good luck.

Mine let me down yesterday.

Any suggestions for a heavy duty?

If it's a diesel RAV then it will need a heavy duty Battery... I shopped around and in the end got a TOYOTA OEM Battery as it worked out same cost as other similar one's. Just a word of warning... don't go to Halfrauds to get them to fit the Battery... in my shopping around they tried to sell me a Fiesta one... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: bless em..............

Mines had just enough power to get started this morning. Didnt drive for 2 days.

The size en capacity is same as in a Yaris my mechanic told me.

When i replace it, can i also fit a Battery of a diesel for more capacity? Or do i get charging problems?

Thanks Bob. Went to the local accessory shop and they stock Yuasa. They wanted £95.00 for a ref. 057 Battery. Local Toyota dealer wants £53.83 3 yr gte. You know where I'm going.

Interesting, my local tyre supplier wanted £61 inc vat for a 057 Yuasa, I settled for a £48 Banner Starting Bull from the local motor factor.

Original lasted 4.5 years and died in the recent cold. As far as I could see, there was no simple upgrade to a heavy duty Battery using the existing brackets (unless I went AGM for £££££).

Even the wife's Golf has a 70AH Battery compared to the 45AH standard fitted in the 4.2 petrol.

• 1 month later...

I finally need a new Battery after 6 and a half years! motionbattery.co.uk do a numax for less than 50 quid delivered which is an 049 size. Anyone used this online supplier? I also need the clips , I suspect Mr T will have these. If you look on toyodiy.com I think there is a part number.

I'm hoping not to have to replace my Battery any time soon, but I have had a Banner Starting Bull in my VW for the last 6 or 7 years and it turns the hi-po lump over no bother even though I might not have used it for a couple of weeks! :)

Hi Bob

Good article. Any ideas for how to get more of those little pins that secure the battery cover? I'm about 3 down now.

Cheers

Yesnaby

You could try this company:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ThePlasticClipCompany

They do however seem expensive working out at about £1.20 each

Hi Bob

Good article. Any ideas for how to get more of those little pins that secure the battery cover? I'm about 3 down now.

Cheers

Yesnaby

I broke one at the time but it turned out it had the same fitment as a bit of trim on my Celica-Supra, sorry to say i only had one spare :(

I guess Toyota still sell them.......but silly bits like that, tend to cost far to much :angry:

Hi Bob

Cheers

Yesnaby

Well spotted Davrav, That looks very similar....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plastic-Trim-Clips_W...1742.m153.l1262

Hi Bob

Cheers

Yesnaby

Well spotted Davrav, That looks very similar....

Same outfit I think Bob

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plastic-Trim-Clips_W...1742.m153.l1262

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links