Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.3 Maintenance Tip Xt5 Rear View Camera Installation

Darkside

Here goes then, to any T180 owners mad as hell (like me) that Toyota did not fit a camera from the off.

I've not repeated all as you can see which camera I bought in the topic I kicked off above. The posts by Schm & JHRC show the connections to the camera connector.

Below is where I positioned the camera on the back door:

Camerareardoor.jpg

and close up:

cameracloseup.jpg

In order to fit where shown you have to remove that trim/numberplate light housing from the rear door. This is done by removing the three nuts on the inside of the rear door panel. This picture shows two of the the said blighters:

Boltpositionsreardoor.jpg

Then you need to drill and fix the camera:

CameraPos-drillholes.jpg

Run the power and video through the back door (existing grommet for number plate light cable) - stanley knife and patience! you can see the access point in the bolt picture above.

Then connect up the camera wire (see JHRC) I ran the power cable along the existing harness through the rear door and through the flexible connector (JHRC again)

Once through into the access panel earth the cable as shown below. The power needs to be tapped in to the reverse light. In the harness in front of you are a number of wires. There are two red wires-one is the reverse light circuit, one permanent live. Use a tester (and a helper to put the car in & out of reverse) to locate the correct one. Connect in with a scotchlok, after I took the picture below I ran the cable into the harness to finish off the job

ReverseLampcircuitaccess.jpg

and that is it, T180 as it should have been from day one!!

• 1 year later...
Here goes then, to any T180 owners mad as hell (like me) that Toyota did not fit a camera from the off.

I've not repeated all as you can see which camera I bought in the topic I kicked off above. The posts by Schm & JHRC show the connections to the camera connector.

Below is where I positioned the camera on the back door:

Camerareardoor.jpg

and close up:

cameracloseup.jpg

In order to fit where shown you have to remove that trim/numberplate light housing from the rear door. This is done by removing the three nuts on the inside of the rear door panel. This picture shows two of the the said blighters:

Boltpositionsreardoor.jpg

Then you need to drill and fix the camera:

CameraPos-drillholes.jpg

Run the power and video through the back door (existing grommet for number plate light cable) - stanley knife and patience! you can see the access point in the bolt picture above.

Then connect up the camera wire (see JHRC) I ran the power cable along the existing harness through the rear door and through the flexible connector (JHRC again)

Once through into the access panel earth the cable as shown below. The power needs to be tapped in to the reverse light. In the harness in front of you are a number of wires. There are two red wires-one is the reverse light circuit, one permanent live. Use a tester (and a helper to put the car in & out of reverse) to locate the correct one. Connect in with a scotchlok, after I took the picture below I ran the cable into the harness to finish off the job

ReverseLampcircuitaccess.jpg

and that is it, T180 as it should have been from day one!!

I have an 08 TR avenisis and would love to install a camera on the b9010 system that is installed, do you have the pictures posted anywhere else as they are not showin g on this thread.

Cheers help very much appreciated

Dont know the Avensis set up, but on my Rav without a spare wheel on back door, I fitted it in the housing

for the number plate lights, facing downwards. See my pinned thread for photos.

Hopefully pictures now working again!

Hi Darkside, I have come across this rearview camera for the RAV 4 and no drilling is required, it appears to fit in or replace one of your No Plate lights.

The only problem is it's a China Manufacturer who sell in bulk.

Newreversingcamera.jpg

What do you think of it.

Hi Darkside, I have come across this rearview camera for the RAV 4 and no drilling is required, it appears to fit in or replace one of your No Plate lights.

The only problem is it's a China Manufacturer who sell in bulk.

Rearview-Camera-for-Toyota-Rav4-CA5.jpg

What do you think of it.

Hi - it looks to be a useful idea. It would be less obtrusive than others and the lack of putting holes through the body is great. Had it been available originally, I would have gone for that style.

I bought a new flush mount 'key hole' type camera as mine had got water in. I have not had to fit it yet however as the fitted camera has seemingly almost dried out and is probably back to 95% performance (tiny bit of moisture still on inside of outer lens). I would prefer not to have to put a 25mm ish diameter hole in the back door housing if I can avoid it, so hopefully the current camera keeps working.

You say these only available in bulk at present, I may keep my eye out on eBay as I suspect only a matter of time until someone starts selling individually. I would go for that if mine fails rather than fit the 'spare' I have already bought.

Obviously, I've not worked out how to use the quote properly when posting, DOH! :wacko:

Obviously, I've not worked out how to use the quote properly when posting, DOH! :wacko:

You forgot the top part of the senders message where it Say's quote name= just get all that and it appears or add quote in [] at the top...

If having a rear camera is always going to get water in it..surley this will be a common feature with them in our wet country here... ;) ;) ;) being mounted on the rear of the RAV and most of the spray/mud/grit whatever gets thrown right in it....

I've seen a few RAV's with the mirror mounted on the back... like you normally see on the imported jap Toyota people carries etc...not that I'm gonna install one... I revert to the MK1 daughter who looks out the back for me.... :crybaby::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi All,

I've manage to buy one on eBay.com from a Hong Kong Seller, priced @ $69.99 with P&P @ $29.99. Approx. £60

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250453207964

They also do a wireless model for those who don't have sat nav. as standard a bit more expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250453205142

Newreversingcamera.jpg

Delivery estimated 14 days will update when fitted.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have just installed the new review camera, it took less than 2 min. to remove No plate light and bulb holder, refitted bulb holder to the camera combined No plate light, and installed in No plate light position, as I had already had all wiring installed previously it was just a matter connecting RCA and power cables.

This is how it was before.

P1000580.jpg

And with the new camera.

RearviewCamera.jpg

Newrearviewcamera.jpg

And the camera before fitting.

Newreversingcamera.jpg

reversingcamers.jpg

Now the image from sat nav screen which is shown at 170 degrees.

P1010654.jpg

It also has a IP 66 rating so hopefully will survive the UK weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JHRC

For those who dont have a camera installed, is it a case of using Darksides post to work out the wiring? Did you cut the RCA connectors and wire into the block in the rear tailgate?

Cheers

Kam

Hi JHRC

For those who dont have a camera installed, is it a case of using Darksides post to work out the wiring? Did you cut the RCA connectors and wire into the block in the rear tailgate?

Cheers

Kam

Hi Kam,

For your car I would use Darksides illustrations to fit your camera, I'm not sure how darkside fitted the RCA cable. I cut a RCA cable and soldered wires onto a stripboard to make a 6 pin plug which fitted straight onto S7 socket in your rear door which is combined with No plate light socket.

I still have the plug that I illustrated, if you have any problems then PM me your address and I will post it on to you.

RGD Jim

Hi JHRC

Cheers

Kam

Hi Kam,

For your car I would use Darksides illustrations to fit your camera, I'm not sure how darkside fitted the RCA cable. I cut a RCA cable and soldered wires onto a stripboard to make a 6 pin plug which fitted straight onto S7 socket in your rear door which is combined with No plate light socket.

I still have the plug that I illustrated, if you have any problems then PM me your address and I will post it on to you.

RGD Jim

Jim,

Looks really, really good. As I may have said, I bought a flush mount 'spyhole' type camera but did not need to use it as my original seems to have miraculously dried out (and stayed dry!) but think I would hunt one of the number plate type down if it ever fails.

As for the video connection, I followed the lead of soldering a pinboard to make a plug as I did not want to cut the existing socket in the rear door (warranty issues and all that).

Thanks for that. Whats it like at night? Completely useless, or enough to give you some idea of how far you are from an object ?

Hi JHRC

Cheers

Kam

Hi Kam,

RGD Jim

Jim,

Looks really, really good. As I may have said, I bought a flush mount 'spyhole' type camera but did not need to use it as my original seems to have miraculously dried out (and stayed dry!) but think I would hunt one of the number plate type down if it ever fails.

As for the video connection, I followed the lead of soldering a pinboard to make a plug as I did not want to cut the existing socket in the rear door (warranty issues and all that).

I have noticed since fitting camera to No plate light that it doesn't get as dirty as it did with the camera situated under bumper.

I haven't checked the new camera out when its dark, but it adjust white balance automatically and appear ok at dusk will take photos tomorrow night.

Just emailed the ebayer who sold you the camera, and he claims he has never sold a RAV4 Camera ! I have sent him a link to the item above, but he hasnt got back to me yet. !

Just emailed the ebayer who sold you the camera, and he claims he has never sold a RAV4 Camera ! I have sent him a link to the item above, but he hasnt got back to me yet. !

Go onto eBay.com and enter into search (RAV4 camera), you should get more companies selling these cameras they also vary from ccd to cmos or cmd sensors.

But check that they are the same, as I noticed with darkside photo that his No plate light is secured with a screw where mine has a clipped in the end to hold it in position which is part of the camera casing.

So do check as its alot of money for something that is not 100% right.

You will also find that P&P almost doubles the price.

Try this site as P&P is reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Special-Rearview-Rever...p3286.m20.l1116

Go onto eBay.com and enter into search (RAV4 camera), you should get more companies selling these cameras they also vary from ccd to cmos or cmd sensors.

But check that they are the same, as I noticed with darkside photo that his No plate light is secured with a screw where mine has a clipped in the end to hold it in position which is part of the camera casing.

So do check as its alot of money for something that is not 100% right.

You will also find that P&P almost doubles the price.

Try this site as P&P is reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Special-Rearview-Rever...p3286.m20.l1116

Somebody shoot me quick ! I work in IT, and I cant even use eBay search ! Thanks for the pointer JHRC, Im gonna get one ordered this weekend, as the wifes reversing is getting worse !! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I have just installed the new review camera, it took less than 2 min. to remove No plate light and bulb holder, refitted bulb holder to the camera combined No plate light, and installed in No plate light position, as I had already had all wiring installed previously it was just a matter connecting RCA and power cables.

P1000580.jpg

And with the new camera.

RearviewCamera.jpg

Newrearviewcamera.jpg

Newreversingcamera.jpg

reversingcamers.jpg

P1010654.jpg

Hi

I too have fitted one of the "weatherproof" keyhole type cameras only to, like many others, find out that water gets in very easily.

I really like the look and ease of fitting of this camera, my only reason for holding back is to see from others' experience if they really are as waterproof as the IP66 rating states.

So how is it holding up to the recent weater JHRC ?

Hi

I too have fitted one of the "weatherproof" keyhole type cameras only to, like many others, find out that water gets in very easily.

I really like the look and ease of fitting of this camera, my only reason for holding back is to see from others' experience if they really are as waterproof as the IP66 rating states.

Hi,

It's still too early to judge IP66, but as I said previously that it isn't getting as dirty as my first camera got, so fingers crossed it should be OK.

If you do order a similar camera ask for a NTSC version, as this give a better view on toyota OEM sat nav unit.

The CMOS is cheaper than CCD version and shows distance bars in the monitor.

Hi

Hi,

It's still too early to judge IP66, but as I said previously that it isn't getting as dirty as my first camera got, so fingers crossed it should be OK.

If you do order a similar camera ask for a NTSC version, as this give a better view on toyota OEM sat nav unit.

The CMOS is cheaper than CCD version and shows distance bars in the monitor.

Hey Jim how did you get my number plate!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone

I like the idea of this camera and was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions I have before I go and buy this one : eBay reversing camera.

The first is about the size. Will it fit in the number plate light area of a T180? And secondly, as I am pretty clueless at electrics could someone confirm that I will be able to connect it to exsisting wiring at the rear of the car?

Thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

P1000580.jpg

And with the new camera.

RearviewCamera.jpg

Newrearviewcamera.jpg

Hi again, just recieved my camera today from Hong Kong, and as my wife was a work , didn't get chance to look at things until now.

Can I ask JHRC, did you need to trim any plastic to get it to fit? I know it was getting dark when I offered it up to the car but it looked too big to fit in the existing hole.

I may be wrong(hope so at this price)

It looks the same as yours and is labelled as "Rav 4" Will get a better look tomorrow.

Newreversingcamera.jpg

reversingcamers.jpg

P1010654.jpg

Hi all,

P1000580.jpg

And with the new camera.

RearviewCamera.jpg

Newrearviewcamera.jpg

Hi again, just recieved my camera today from Hong Kong, and as my wife was a work , didn't get chance to look at things until now.

Can I ask JHRC, did you need to trim any plastic to get it to fit? I know it was getting dark when I offered it up to the car but it looked too big to fit in the existing hole.

It looks the same as yours and is labelled as "Rav 4" Will get a better look tomorrow.

Newreversingcamera.jpg

reversingcamers.jpg

P1010654.jpg

Well, as I thought, it DOESN'T fit.

It's the right width, but about 50mm too long.

Seller on eBay says it is the right one but it clearly isn't.

Extortionate shipping fee rules out an economical refund (compared to initial outlay.)

Options:

Write it off to experience,

Or attempt to make it fit. This would mean hacking at the plastic around the rear number plate lamp holder. Trouble is I suspect there are various plastic ridges,ribs etc that would hinder it being a straight forward "opening up" of the rectangular hole. Chances are it would go wrong and result in a new plastic trim being needed to get me back to square one.

Hi all,

P1000580.jpg

And with the new camera.

RearviewCamera.jpg

Newrearviewcamera.jpg

Newreversingcamera.jpg

reversingcamers.jpg

P1010654.jpg

Well, as I thought, it DOESN'T fit.

It's the right width, but about 50mm too long.

Seller on eBay says it is the right one but it clearly isn't.

Extortionate shipping fee rules out an economical refund (compared to initial outlay.)

Options:

Write it off to experience,

Or attempt to make it fit. This would mean hacking at the plastic around the rear number plate lamp holder. Trouble is I suspect there are various plastic ridges,ribs etc that would hinder it being a straight forward "opening up" of the rectangular hole. Chances are it would go wrong and result in a new plastic trim being needed to get me back to square one.

WOOOOOAH, THE PENNY HAS JUST DROPPED

JHRC's Rav is the one with the rear mounted wheel

Mine isn't

Therefore mine is sited in a different location so i'm presuming that the different rear ends may possibly have different size number plate lamp holders, can anyone confirm my suspicions ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links