Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise Control Installation

Hoovie

I have bought a Drive-by-Wire Cruise Control kit (It is the GoldCruise Kit made by a Dutch company) and having an initial complication, which the gurus on here may know what is going on?

The GoldCruise has various options - Servo Actuated, Electric Actuated and the afore-mentioned Electronic Drive-by-Wire option that connects directly onto the Throttle plug and the company sent me what they understand to be the specific harness for the 2004-2005 RAV4

EDIT: As I swiveled my head and body around under the dash and footwell, got mixed up and I was looking at wrong connector :rolleyes:

Got the Right kit :thumbsup: Will update this post as I proceed with installation :)

UPDATE:

Cruise Control Fitted and Tested :thumbsup:

I'll post a couple of pictures later, but I now have a fully functioning Cruise Control setup with 3 preset selectable speeds, plus an instant SET speed.

Installation was fairly straightforward.

Needed the usual Permanent +12V, A Ignition-Switched +12V and a Ground.

Additionally had to wire in

1) the Speed Pulse signal - found on the radio connector on my RAV4.2

2) the +12V wire and the brake switch signal wire on the brake switch to feed into the electronics Module so the cruise disengages when brake pedal pressed.

3) Being a Manual, also needed to fit a Clutch switch and wire that in series with the feed from the brake - so when clutch is depressed, cruise is dis-engaged just like with the brake, as otherwise the engine will rev up as the cruise control tried to maintain set speed.

There is an optimization sequence that is needed for fine tuning, but on the inital test drive, it is working pretty nicely :yes:

This is a pic of the Cruise Control Stalk I fitted. It looks pretty OEM I think :)

ZT25-functions.jpg

Button 1: ACT/OFF: this simply switches the cruise control system on ACT (activate) or off. Although it can be switched on at any time, it is recommended to get into the habit of switching on when the engine is started as it is then always ready for use.

SET/ACC: this fixes current speed and once the cruise is engaged gives ACC (accelerate) and tap up features. Drive as normal up to your chosen cruise speed and rotate the stalk forwards then release, the cruise control will take up the throttle and constantly adjust it to maintain the chosen speed. Once the cruise is engaged if the stalk is rotated and held the vehicle will accelerate (ACC) until the arm is released and the new speed will be maintained. This switch also provides a tap up feature, once cruise control is engaged each subsequent short rotation (tap) of the stalk will accelerate the vehicle by approximately ½-1 MPH.

RES/DEC: gives a last set speed memory. For example if the cruise control has been set at say 60mph, then disengaged by pressing either the brake or clutch (manual transmission only), when it is safe to go back to cruise speed (60MPH in this case) one short rotation back of the stalk will cause the cruise control to accelerate the vehicle back to cruise speed in a smooth and controlled manner. This switch also provides decelerate (DEC) and tap down features.

Button 2: COAST, this button disengages the cruise without having to touch the pedals and allows the vehicle to coast, thereby reducing speed gradually.

ZT25-3buttons.jpg

Buttons MEM 1, 2 and 3 are the programmable memory buttons. To programme your chosen speeds, for example 30MPH, 40MPH and 50MPH on buttons "1", "2", and "3" respectively.

1. Start engine and switch on cruise control system.

2. Drive to first chosen speed, in this example 30MPH.

3. Rotate stalk upwards once to engage cruise mode.

4. Press and hold button "MEM 1" until two beeps are heard (approx 4-5 seconds).

5. Repeat the process for "MEM 2" and "MEM 3"

To operate the memory buttons simply press the required button. As long as the minimum operating speed of approximately 20MPH has been reached the vehicle will accelerate (or decelerate) smoothly to the chosen speed.

Being a Manual rather then an Auto, the Cruise Control is not quite as straightforward to use, but I had Cruise on my Rover 623 which was a Manual also and found I did use it a lot, so looking forward to using this one :thumbsup:

That looks great :thumbsup:

Do they do one for the Yaris? I put a post up some time ago and got no replies.

Cruise Control Fitted and Tested :thumbsup:

WOW! well done Hoovie, you really are going through your car, Pimp my rav, has got nothing on you, wouldnt have a clue how to find all those connections.

whats next after the leather? :thumbsup:

Dead impressed Hoovie

Do you mind me asking where you got it from?

after the Cruise and the Leather, it is the Driving Lamps courtesy of Kingo :thumbsup: - and that is it!

Well nearly - I am toying with the idea of a Car Computer as I have most of the bits I need :)

T V O R - Yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The company who make this setup seem to be just about the best around in terms of options. If you have a Yaris 2005 or newer, they have drive-by-wire, which is the most expensive one (need an extra car-specfic harness at £35), but the ease of installation pays that extra investment back. if it is older, then still have options.

List of Drive-by-Wire cars - http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecon...s/t-harness.htm

General "Which Cruise?" page - http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecon...ontrol-kits.htm

I was impressed by that companies approach and knowledge - they had answers to my questions without even need to look them up and were very friendly.

Conrad Anderson that I linked to above are the Importers, the makers are "Gold" in the Netherlands.

The GoldCruise is just about the only one that comes up when you search for aftermarket Cruise control Systems and I had been looking and thinking about it for a couple of years now!

Conrad Anderson seem to have a good rep judging by the amount of google hits that refer to them installing kits for dealers and also a pretty keen price.

Here is a quick snap of the controller - the rest of the gubbins (two small black boxes and a load of wires) are tucked away now and I haven't put the centre console back together again get :rolleyes:

CruiseCM25.jpg

The controller is variable length adjustable - by upto about 20mm I think, with the gaiter automatically catering for the difference. The fitting method with the controller means it is a nice firm install, even when just mounted onto the plastic cowling. I did wonder if I would have to fix a metal plate inside to gain rigidity, but once cowling refitted and screwed into place, it's all good :D

post-29315-1216491744_thumb.jpg

Wow Hoovie, impressive bit of kit and well done with the neat fitting. Had cruise control on my last four cars (all manual) and although I didn't think I'd miss it, I do. I'll visit the site today :D

Maybe as it sounds like a few people are interested, they would give a TOC discount?

and make it retrospective ;)

UPDATE:

I am going to be calling the company tomorrow to let them know I fitted the kit ok and will ask them if they would like to do a discount for interested people from here :thumbsup:

@hoovie, i was driving on cruise control since 1988 and i miss it very much.so yes if the price is right i like to install also one.

btw, i`m building a carpc at the moment. ;) have a test setup with dual tuner :) it`s running on a jetway 1g2 mainboard.

Hi Guys,

I just spoke to Steve at Conrad Anderson and he said that they could do a small discount of 5% for Club Members.

It is not a massive amount, but better then a poke in the eye ;) and considering that these kits are brought in from Holland and the way the Euro-UK£ exchange rate is right now, the fact the company is not increasing its prices instead is pretty surprising.

The Components I got were:

AP800 Electronic actuator: £280

CM25 Stalk mounted command module: £85

T-Harness (Car specific for drive by-wire): £37.50

Clutch Switch: £12.50

Plus Delivery at £10

Total: £425

This is actually the most expensive configuration as it happens. I chose this as easiest to install and best controller; and also I see it is a long term investment, as it will be very easy to de-install and move to a different vehicle with just another T-Harness needed at most.

It is possible to go for a different spec, of course, and you could spend just £260 inc Delivery for a Vacuum-Controlled kit and basic controller instead, or mix and match components as needs and budget dictate.

Obviously suitability depends on car, and I was advised to go for an electric-controlled kit as I have a tow-bar and the potential extra load when towing means a vacuum-type is not the best option.

Obviously if you can sort out a better deal, then great stuff; if not, hope this helps :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE on Cruise:

Been fitted for about a month and I am really liking it :thumbsup:

The part that I thought may have been a bit of a gimmick is actually my favourite feature. The system can be preset with 3 different speeds and you simply press a button to have the car go to that speed. When you are driving along and the speed limit regularly changes - in my case, the A30 and A303 where the dual carriageways come and go - you can simply press button ONE to set the cruise at 70 and then when the limit changes down to 60, just press button TWO; Dual carriage way back? just press button ONE - excellent stuff :yes: no need to use accelerator, just a little button press :thumbsup:

The cruise control can be fine-tuned depending on how it reacts in your car - I have found on the RAV4 VVT-i, the setup out the box works great - occasionally on some steep hills the car goes a couple of miles over the setting before settling back down a few seconds later, but I think the OE cruise on my ROver did something very similar anyway and it is not worth bothering about.

So ...

Would I buy and fit it again? :yes:

Was it worth the money? Well it wasn't cheap, I have to say, but I had been looking at this kit for well over a year and now I wish I bought it when I first came across it!

One final thing I am looking to do is to see if I can wire up the signal that turns the LED on on the CM25 stalk to the Dashboard Cruise signal to be able to see when it is on or off in the same way that the factory Cruise does, as the stalk position I have is not ideal for seeing the light, althought it is fine for actual useage of the controls

• 3 months later...

Nice one Hoovie - just gonna order myself an early xmas present :D

Phil

where the dual carriageways come and go - you can simply press button ONE to set the cruise at 70 and then when the limit changes down to 60, just press button TWO; Dual carriage way back? just press button ONE - excellent stuff

Shirley you should have ONE for a single carriageway and TWO for a dual carriageway? ;)

• 3 years later...

Good weekend, everybody. :thumbsup:

Reason for bumping this thread is a shameless way to say "I stll have this Cruise Control for sale to anyone interested :yes: "

When I sold my RAV4.2, I de-installed the kit and put it in a box, and apart from a for sale advert on TOC, never got round to advertising it for sale elsewhere (and as I was no longer a regular visitor to TOC, didn't get to see any messages asking about it :rolleyes: )

So..... PM me if you are interested in this great kit. It really is a great kit, but since I have Cruise as factory install in cars since RAV4.2, I cannot see me ever getting to use it again.

Looking for £250 plus postage at cost and if the buyer is reasonably close I can deliver and fit for a nominal sum (Gwan, Kev, treat the little woman!!, Ken she deserves it )

£250.......OWTCH!!! What do you get with this kit?

£250 is a bargain.! read the post and your questions will be answered :thumbsup:

£250 is a bargain.! read the post and your questions will be answered :thumbsup:

This is very true! I Had the same kit installed by 'Conrad Anderson' with improved CM25 module in September 2011. Here is a copy of a post that I placed on the 'Rav4world' site in Sep 11:

Aftermarket cruise control!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, next Monday I am having none OEM TOYOTA CC fitted to my 2004 2.0 D4D Rav4 by the following company in the UK: Aftermarket Cruise Control Kits | Conrad Anderson UK

Now I want this fitted for all the benefits it can provide like fuel economy, comfort at long distances, speed limit areas....etc! I am a bit worried about my much loved Rav being interfered with unnecessarily!

Its like having surgery for something that is deemed 'none life threatening' and being briefed on the dangers that an op can bring like anaesthetic..etc

Anyone had this fitted, any thoughts..experiences...etc?

Regards, Steve

PS: cost about £540 (inc fitting)

Well three months in use now and I can honestly say that it has been brilliant! Apart from all the benefits it actually looks great too! (I will post some pics soon of the CM25 stalk module in situ!) This was pro fitted by Conrad Anderson in Birmingham who were very professional and pleasant to deal with! I look at it as a good investment as I intend on keeping my XT4 D4D for at least another 4 years! I recently drove to London from Warrington through the night and more or less drove the whole route on CC at 68mph without hardly touching the accelerator or break pedal...average MPG was about 42! :thumbsup:

I am a class 1 (LGV C+E) trucker so I am really used to having and using CC on a daily basis so I just had to have it in my own motor!!

Steve

Good Job Steve :thumbsup: Shame you didn't see my For Sale post before you bought yours ;).

Your experience definitely echoes mine.... Great Product to Use; Great Company that supply and support it. Can't ask for a lot more then that :toast:

I have had a total of 6 different CC systems due to various cars and this aftermarket one is without a doubt the best of the bunc. :yes:

Excellent post Steve,seem to be worth their weight in gold.

Regards Clare

Hoovie your installation topic first class, just goes to show you have to pay for quality!!!!

Wow £500 for cruise control!...

Vw quoted me £250 for them to install cc in my golf. And that's main dealer prices for parts and fitting and its OEM.

With a bit of research I found out all I needed was a new indicator stalk and a wireing loom. Cost to me of £40.....

As cruise is standard on some 4.2,s I was just wondering whether Toyota would supply the parts needed. If in fact it is just a case of cc stalk, loom and maybe ecu enable?

Not trying to put anyone off hoovies mind as it too is also a great system...................if you like the toadstool look on your steering cowel ;-)

Wow £500 for cruise control!...

Vw quoted me £250 for them to install cc in my golf. And that's main dealer prices for parts and fitting and its OEM.

With a bit of research I found out all I needed was a new indicator stalk and a wireing loom. Cost to me of £40.....

As cruise is standard on some 4.2,s I was just wondering whether Toyota would supply the parts needed. If in fact it is just a case of cc stalk, loom and maybe ecu enable?

Not trying to put anyone off hoovies mind as it too is also a great system...................if you like the toadstool look on your steering cowel ;-)

You make a very fair point, Jedi - and it goes to show how much the Dealers can rip you off for doing nearly sod all.

Many cars have CC on most of their trim range, and so it is common that everything bar the actual controller/switch is in place. There are a few Toyotas in that same situation, where a trip down the scrappers could get that controller for less then £40 as well.

The RAV4.2 is not like that, sadly, and if you want OEM Cruise on your non-CC equipped model , you have to be prepared to hand over an arm and maybe both legs (PS If I had the choice of OEM, or a much better Aftermarket unit to get fitted at a lesser price, I know what I would go for ;))

Suprisingly the parts were bought brand new from vw, but after a while they caught onto why people were buying these parts.

And guess what?...........they shot up in price to over double the price........

Sometimes it was cheaper to buy parts from Audi, as they used the same bits.

• 1 month later...

This is very true! I Had the same kit installed by 'Conrad Anderson' with improved CM25 module in September 2011. Here is a copy of a post that I placed on the 'Rav4world' site in Sep 11:

Aftermarket cruise control!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, next Monday I am having none OEM TOYOTA CC fitted to my 2004 2.0 D4D Rav4 by the following company in the UK: Aftermarket Cruise Control Kits | Conrad Anderson UK

Now I want this fitted for all the benefits it can provide like fuel economy, comfort at long distances, speed limit areas....etc! I am a bit worried about my much loved Rav being interfered with unnecessarily!

Its like having surgery for something that is deemed 'none life threatening' and being briefed on the dangers that an op can bring like anaesthetic..etc

Anyone had this fitted, any thoughts..experiences...etc?

Regards, Steve

PS: cost about £540 (inc fitting)

Well three months in use now and I can honestly say that it has been brilliant! Apart from all the benefits it actually looks great too! (I will post some pics soon of the CM25 stalk module in situ!) This was pro fitted by Conrad Anderson in Birmingham who were very professional and pleasant to deal with! I look at it as a good investment as I intend on keeping my XT4 D4D for at least another 4 years! I recently drove to London from Warrington through the night and more or less drove the whole route on CC at 68mph without hardly touching the accelerator or break pedal...average MPG was about 42! :thumbsup:

I am a class 1 (LGV C+E) trucker so I am really used to having and using CC on a daily basis so I just had to have it in my own motor!!

Steve

Here are some pics of the CM25 command module (from: Conrad Anderson) in situ on my 4.2! Five and a half months in use now without a blip (Touch wood!) Could not do without this now....proving to be more economical on m/way journey's when at a constant speed! The x3 memory settings work well too!

Steve

post-115478-0-39012400-1329253813_thumb.

post-115478-0-43463700-1329253869_thumb.

post-115478-0-05687300-1329253915_thumb.

post-115478-0-90979700-1329253978_thumb.