Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Bought A Yaris, Not Quite One Carefull Lady Owner

Haylands

Hi all

Just bought our second Yaris in the family, my wife has a 2007 and my daughter turns 17 next march so we thought we'd get something to "do up"

Its a 2000 998cc GS with some strange modifications....

Needs

Bonnet, wing, door, rear window, front panel, both bumpers, radiator and probably a few other bits, gets delivered next week and we can then take it apart and see whats what.

Does anyone want me to do a write up of its progress back to the streets, it will be a spare time 6 month job and my daughter will be doing lots of it. I recon if she's going to drive it she should know how it works and how to fix it....

Oh and anyone got any bits for it before I delve into eBay??

dc09_3.jpg

Looks a bit sorry for itself, had a low hit in the front

11092008173.jpg

Headlight support panel and front panel bent to the nearside

11092008174.jpg

Closeup of chassis leg, both legs "look" straight, will take carefull measurments when stripped. May need a visit to the jig but I don't think so.

11092008177.jpg

Small tap in rear, has taken bumper as well.

dce0_3.jpg

Two small dents above window and cill dented by fork lift at yard!!!!!

11092008176.jpg

Air bags are fine, luckily, and interior is pretty good, just had a very hairy dog in the back

ddab_3.jpg

Nearside and rear are unmarked

de60_3.jpg

Front wing this side seems to line up well..

11092008175.jpg

Seats are in good condition.

Has about 70,000 miles on it and was a one owner car.

We plan on doing as much ourselves as possible bar the final top coat of paint. Will be done on the drive or nosed in the rather full garage!!

Pete

• Like 1

Perfect time to make it look like a T-sport (top spec)

ask your daughter if shes interested in the looks of one - if so, front and back bumpers and grill are available cheap from dealers

all you need after that if skirts and spoiler - again you could get from dealer but a bit more expensive!

if not, deffo colour code the bumpers! :-)

That's a decent project you've got there Pete.

Please keep us informed and updated with how it's going.

Good luck !

Thanks will do, should be arriving end of next week...

Perfect time to make it look like a T-sport (top spec)

ask your daughter if shes interested in the looks of one - if so, front and back bumpers and grill are available cheap from dealers

all you need after that if skirts and spoiler - again you could get from dealer but a bit more expensive!

if not, deffo colour code the bumpers! :-)

First thing my daughter said when she saw it, after the thanks etc, was "could we possibly paint the grey bumpers silver" so yes colour coded bumpers it is...

What do these look like with a colour coded grille as well anyone got a piccie...

Looks like not much wrong with it. Hope you emptied the ashtray !

:lol:

Funny thing, ashtrays, first thing you do when you sit in a car to buy is pull out the ashtray, why is that, what do I expect to see.... either full or empty.... would I have not bought it if it had been full LOL???

Anyway it is one less thing to worry about it looked unused.... rear cubby bin below that broken window is full of water though... looks like the interior will be coming out for a good dry off and clean up... didn't smell mouldy though....

Dont colour code the grill, get a chrome or t sport one, i've got a chrome one on mine, i might get rid of it soon if i get a t sport one, but i'll try an send you a pic of my car :-)

Thanks for the info re chrome grill....

I have just purchased two front wings, bonnet, full bumper, headlight and chrome grill off eBay for £80, spoke to the guy, 300+ good feedback says they are good condition with no damage. will pick them up Tuesday

Bit of a bargain I thought....

So a chrome grill it is then....

Pete

Hi

Picked up the front end, is in good condition bar the pattern nearside wing which is very badly painted, still don't need this wing and all the other panels are fine, Headlight has the back chracked but this maybe repairable.

Had to go away for a few days so car is getting delivered early next week.... then the fun starts

Pete

16092008182.jpg

Dont forget, now is the best time to look at some mods b4 you paint it! A TTE front splitter would look nice...along with a TTE spoiler

Nice one, Im well keen to see how this turns out, keep the updates coming :) xx

Will do, thanks

Dont forget, now is the best time to look at some mods b4 you paint it! A TTE front splitter would look nice...along with a TTE spoiler

We are trying to keep it as cheap as possible so updates will be confined to colour coding and a chrome grille for now.... unless I find some cheap bits...

Anyway it turned up yesterday and was dropped off. It has got three new dents to the roof on the passenger side and the boot is wavy all across the back where the idiots tried to push it with flat tyres, so more work there.... Still had the two flat tyres so I blew them up, one is ok the other has a slow puncture, I will have them all removed from the wheels and checked before it goes back on the road.

It had two batteries in the boot not sure why! Anyway I connected one of them up but it was a bit flat so out with the jump leads and 5 mins later she was ticking over nicely, no check engine light or other warning lights and we can now see she has done just 62,000 miles, less than we were told. Everything we pushed or pulled seemed to do its job, as you would expect from a Toyota

I took it for a quick spin round the block to see how it went and the enging/gearbox/steering all work fine apart from a big pull to the right.

Couldn't leave it going too long as the radiator is badly holed and didn't want to cook it.

We have just taken all the front panels off and were left with this

yaris14.jpg

You can see the severe damage to the front panel here...

yaris12.jpg

Anyway we popped on the new wing and bonnet to give a first idea of fit, looks smart with the chrome grille, that gold is a bit of a marmite colour though, personally I hate it!!!

yaris18.jpg

Lines up well with the drivers door and scuttle

yaris16.jpg

And also with the passenger wing, although it is a bit low which you can't see here

yaris15.jpg

Front of o/s/f wing is about 1/2 inch low

yaris17.jpg

So it was better than I thought, it looked like the leading edge of the drivers door was bent, when I saw it at the scrap yard but in fact it was the natural curve on the door so we don't need a door.

There is some suspension damage to the o/s/f probably a bottom wishbone or perhaps the subframe, both are fairly easy to change...

So shopping list reads

New front panel, incl headlight supports and bonnet slam panel

New rear bumper, both bits

New radiator, fan and cover

New drivers side headlight (the one that came free with the panels is too badly damaged to use, the back is smashed to bits..)

Undertray plastic guards...

o/s/r window

Suspension bits

As an aside we stripped the original bonnet of all its bits and under the seal that is under the bonnet behind the grille, there was a lot of rust, water must collect here and rust where the holes are for the clips that hold the seal in place. The new bonnet is two years younger and is OK. So if you have an early one check for rust, and if you have a late one squirt some waxoil behind the seal and in the holes....

Will post more as it progresses.

Bye for now

Pete

Hi

Just had 5 mins today so jacked it up and put on axle stands and had a good look at the suspension

The damage is to the wishbone or lower arm (depending on who you talk to) it has bent at the very outer edge below the wheel.

Measured both sides from the front to the rear wheels at various places and both sides are spot on so no subframe damage, and looking at the metal its made form I should think it would take an explosion to dent it.....

So good news as wishbones are pretty cheap..

Pete

Hi

Just had 5 mins today so jacked it up and put on axle stands and had a good look at the suspension

The damage is to the wishbone or lower arm (depending on who you talk to) it has bent at the very outer edge below the wheel.

Measured both sides from the front to the rear wheels at various places and both sides are spot on so no subframe damage, and looking at the metal its made form I should think it would take an explosion to dent it.....

So good news as wishbones are pretty cheap..

Pete

Good work there. Was this an auction vehicle?

Hi

No it wasn't from an auction. I have been after a 1.0l Yaris for a while, this one came from a salvage yard in Newcastle

Pete

Hi

No it wasn't from an auction. I have been after a 1.0l Yaris for a while, this one came from a salvage yard in Newcastle

Pete

You are a braver man then me! I would worry that the overall cost, including car, parts, paint and the labour going in to the thing would far outweigh the cost of buying a similar spec undamaged Yaris!!

Hope it goes well though.. Saving another Yaris from the grim crusher!

You are a braver man then me! I would worry that the overall cost, including car, parts, paint and the labour going in to the thing would far outweigh the cost of buying a similar spec undamaged Yaris!!

Hope it goes well though.. Saving another Yaris from the grim crusher!

Gar

If you have time to look for bargains you will be OK

I have just picked up most of the rest of the bits needed.... had a result on the headlight.... perfect condition 99p yes less than a quid for a headlight!!!!!

New front panel including rad support and bonnet slam panel

yaris21.jpg

One piece rear bumper from 2003 Yaris

yaris22.jpg

New wishbone (I have bought a pair as they are pretty cheap and at 8 years old the bushes will be going)

yaris24.jpg

Also bought a pair of anti-roll bar links, these don't last long and are a common MOT failure, you have to remove them to replace the wishbone so it made sence to replace them.

yaris23.jpg

And here is that 99p headlight

yaris19.jpg

I have also bought a radiator with fan and expansion tank but it hasn't turned up yet.

I will give a full rundown of costs/parts prices at the end when it is all done...

More to follow

Pete

Project look fantastic mate! Well done on the progress.

Except the rear bumper is from a 2005 - 2008 new generation Yaris so I dont think it will fit.

The facelift Yaris (2003 - 2005) also had a 2 piece rear bumper.

Project look fantastic mate! Well done on the progress.

Except the rear bumper is from a 2005 - 2008 new generation Yaris so I dont think it will fit.

The facelift Yaris (2003 - 2005) also had a 2 piece rear bumper.

Do you know, I thought that when it turned up but the bloke assured me it was from a 2003 so I presumed it would fit... ah well it was only a tenner so I'll keep looking then..

Thanks for the info on that... I'll offer it up tomorrow just to make sure....

Pete.

WOW mate.........this is a good job and a 1/2.......but you know what?

when its all done and finished, it will look top :D

I used to be a VW air cooled nut years ago and some of the projects you see in that world are beyond sense!

real rust buckets turned into top show cars so this will be no problem for you,

not too sure about your "Marmite Gold" comment tho!!

not that i am biased :P

Good luck!

Hi

I have been refunded for the bumper and have bought a new bottom bumper for it, the top is OK....

Pete

not too sure about your "Marmite Gold" comment tho!!

not that i am biased :P

Good luck!

Hi

It must be just having a few panels in it because your avatar looks good.... so maybe I'm coming around....

Thanks

Pete

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Been a while since an update, had a knee operation so was out of it for a while, anyway deadline is March 8th so we have to get moving....

Fitted new front wishbones and roll bar links, welded on and sprayed new front panel, had to pull one chassis leg over about an inch, it's all straight now, pulled out dents to o/s rear wing, removed lower rear bumper, repaired washer bottle, refitted horn, temp transmitter, radiator fan lights etc etc....

All we need now is a window.... £140 from autoglass.... got one of eBay £30.... comming soon...

Paneled it up and took it for a spin... goes very well, dead straight, no pulling and brakes pull up straight as well....

It's off to my mate's at the paint shop on Friday to get painted, they will pull the panels off and paint them and then it's final assembly time.....

We were going to primer all the panels, then top coat the edges and assemble it and get it top coated at the paint shop but we just don't have the time, one of the paint guys had to be laid off due to lack of work so he will be coming in to do it, I just have to pay his wages, not full rate so it will work out OK for both of us....

Sod's law... when I started it today the Battery light stayed on, looks like the alternator has given up, may just be wet and sulking but I doubt it.....

Anyway a couple of pics to be going on with.... looks a bit better than the first pic!!!!

I'll have to change my avatar....

26012009139.jpg

26012009140.jpg

26012009141.jpg

Pete

Hi

Knew I had a couple more pics....

Old radiator V new second hand radiator.....

Interestingly this was the most expensive single part bought, had to get it from a breakers and couldn't find one with the fan and shroud etc for less than £50.....

06102008226.jpg

06102008227.jpg

Pete

Looking good there Pete...................Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Good work Fella, I had to rebuild a Lancia Y10 for my first car. All the body work damage was due to italian steel quality (or lack there of), and the engine rebuild (@ 70k) was down to rings and valves all need replacing. But my mum had it from new so i new that those were the only things wrong.

I imagine your Daughter will have a much better knowledge of cars that 90% of new drivers.

I would be very interested in the total cost of the whole job if its not too personal a question. Good luck with the final push!

Hi

I have been keeping a record of whats been spent so I will do a costing once it is done, won't be long...

Found a few more pics of it after we fitted the front panel.... note the repair on the washer bottle, shame to get a new one and you can't see it when the panels are back on..

27012009143.jpg

27012009144.jpg

27012009147.jpg

27012009146.jpg

27012009145.jpg

27012009148.jpg

They might help someone to see what goes where.....

More will follow.......

Pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links