Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Battery In Keyless Entry Fob

sywy

For the past few days, my car has been telling me that my key fob Battery is low. I've not looked yet, but i presume it takes a standard watch type Battery of some type? Is there anything I should look out for when changing it? Like, will i lose 'my settings' or anything? I'm rather diappointed for 2 reasons. Firstly, believe it or not, I've never had a keyfob Battery run out on me before, and secondly it was supposed to have been replaced 2 months ago, when I had my second service. I could complain, but I guess they will accuse me of switching it with my spare?

For the past few days, my car has been telling me that my key fob battery is low. I've not looked yet, but i presume it takes a standard watch type battery of some type? Is there anything I should look out for when changing it? Like, will i lose 'my settings' or anything? I'm rather diappointed for 2 reasons. Firstly, believe it or not, I've never had a keyfob battery run out on me before, and secondly it was supposed to have been replaced 2 months ago, when I had my second service. I could complain, but I guess they will accuse me of switching it with my spare?

I have replaced the batteries with no problems at all. The Battery is a watch Battery type but i found it difficult to purchase the specific ones from the local supermarkets, I ended up getting a couple off eBay but I am sure somewhere like Halfords will stock them. Probably worthwhile getting a decent make of Battery as the first couple i got were not a recognised make didnt last very long.

It is just a matter of taking the back off the fob and popping the old one out and putting a new one back in.

For the past few days, my car has been telling me that my key fob battery is low. I've not looked yet, but i presume it takes a standard watch type battery of some type? Is there anything I should look out for when changing it? Like, will i lose 'my settings' or anything? I'm rather diappointed for 2 reasons. Firstly, believe it or not, I've never had a keyfob battery run out on me before, and secondly it was supposed to have been replaced 2 months ago, when I had my second service. I could complain, but I guess they will accuse me of switching it with my spare?

Superglue in the garage locks where the service was supposed to happen will make them pay attention to keys !

I'm rather diappointed for 2 reasons. Firstly, believe it or not, I've never had a keyfob battery run out on me before, and secondly it was supposed to have been replaced 2 months ago, when I had my second service. I could complain, but I guess they will accuse me of switching it with my spare?

I would definately have a word with the garage that did your service :angry:

You might or might not get anything out of it but they would know that they had been rumpled! :nono:

I expect the Battery in the smart entry key will get a bit more of a hammering that the standard key, because of the way the smart entry system works. (Don't worry I'm not going into detail :D).

Don't forget your handbook also advises you to try to keep the smart key away (>1m) from other electronic devices (phones, PC, monitors etc), to prolong Battery life. Again, not unreasonable, because of the way the thing works.

schm, yes I guess it would drain the Battery quicker. However, my 'first' Battery lasted 20 odd months and had enough juice in it, that the cars computer did not kick out a low Battery warning. Where as my 'second' battery lasted 2-3 months before the messages started :o

Also, is changing the battery in the keyfob a standard service item? I never asked for it, and they did not charge anything extra from the initial quote. I remember seeing the item on my bill, and thought that's good of them :rolleyes:

OK Simon, understood. Just thought I'd mention it. :thumbsup:

The other thing that might sound daft, is make sure the Battery is seated into the contacts properly and when changing it, try to keep your fingers off the battery/contact area as much as possible.

Simes

Remove the emergency key from the fob first. Remove the Battery as follows;

keylessbattery.jpg

There are no special instructions for initialising the fob.

Regards

Thanks anchorman. Saves my looking around. Looks like I need a CR1632.

No probs.

Be sure not to hold the Battery on the flats between your fingers. Hold it across the edge...............

IMG_1453.jpg

........as they hold a tiny charge and you can discharge them in literally a few seconds by holding them on the contact flats.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links