Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump.

Unklian

Hi.

Not been mentioned for a bit, but if your coolant level drops,

you may have a failing water pump.

Mine seems to have failed very suddenly at 14000 miles.

Look into the engine bay on the offside of the car.

(In front of the steering wheel in UK).

Note the pink, dried coolant on the waterpump pulley.

P1010358.jpg

In for repair Wednesday.

Ian.

I had a new water pump fitted, when my car had it's annual service. Apparently the dealer notice some slight staining and changed it because they had one in stock.

I hadn't noticed any drop in the coolant level so it must of been very slight.

With regards to them changing it because they had one in stock, is it because they are a known problem?

I had a new water pump fitted, when my car had it's annual service. Apparently the dealer notice some slight staining and changed it because they had one in stock.

I hadn't noticed any drop in the coolant level so it must of been very slight.

With regards to them changing it because they had one in stock, is it because they are a known problem?

I notice one or two people have had waterpumps changed.

Not many from the huge numbers of AYGO owners.

It always looks worse on forums as thats where people go when their car has a problem.

I suppose they could be better made. I'm asking for my old one to examine it and see why it failed.

At least your dealer noticed.

Ian.

I had my water punp changed under warranty on my first Aygo, being my first car and only a month old then I looked under the bonnet and it looked as if there had been some major pink candyfloss type explosion! Was a tad confused.

After reading this I had a look under the bonnet and there's evidence of pink around the pullies on ours - not as bad as the picture, but it is there.

Coolant is about 1/4 full - a couple of inches above the 'L' mark.

Time for a dealer visit.

After reading this I had a look under the bonnet and there's evidence of pink around the pullies on ours - not as bad as the picture, but it is there.

Coolant is about 1/4 full - a couple of inches above the 'L' mark.

Time for a dealer visit.

I notice my new pump is slightly different

The "centre" portion, instead of being much smaller than the

outer pulley, now completely fills the pulley.

I presume this is a different design as a few of the old ones have failed.

Ian.

Car inspected at 10.00am. Replacement water pump required. Dealer had a courtesy car available so it was left with them.

Update - had a call on Thursday to say car not fixed. Dealer is in contact with Toyota HQ finding out why it will take until 12 May - yes 6 weeks - for a new water pump to arrive.

Expecting an update call on Monday. If it is to take so long we get a long term courtesy car.

Maybe Parts King can confirm if this part is on a lengthy back order. I'm thankful the Aygo is a second car which doesn't do many miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Well despite being told it would be mid May the car was ready today - I wonder if there's a new Aygo somewhere waiting for a waterpump!

As Unklian says the new pump is different.

After driving a few miles in a Micra over the last week or so both me and my wife are really pleased to get the Aygo back. The thrummy engine noise and extremely flexible 2nd and 3rd gear were both missed on the Nissan.

My Aygo had its 2nd service on Friday and as I was paying for it the guy told me they'd noticed the water pump had been leaking at some stage but there was now a crust built up around it which was sealing it again. He placed an order for a new one, thankfully the car's still under warranty, but he said there's something like 600 of them on order so it'll be a few weeks.

An additional unlimited mileage 2 year warranty for the Aygo (making it 5 years in total) is £525, which includes RAC cover. If you wait until your existing warranty runs out the price is over £700.

Warranty can be renewed up to 7 years or 100,000 miles

I have just been in to see my dealership because there was a squeaking noise when the car was at idle, and apparently it was the water pump....

Maybe Parts King can confirm if this part is on a lengthy back order. I'm thankful the Aygo is a second car which doesn't do many miles.

Sorry I missed this post, YES there are still a lot of back orders on these water pumps of about 5 weeks

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...
Thanks for posting such a perfect illustration of what to look for.

+1 - will check mine tomorrow morning (if I can be bothered and not freeze my *&%^% off! ;) )

• 1 month later...

Hi all, my first post.

I own a 107(don't kill me!)

My car is booked in at the dealers tomorrow to check the water pump out.

Here are a couple of pics for reference: Sorry for quality.

100_0355.jpg

100_0348.jpg

It's a month short of being 3 years old(14k).

I wonder how much a new water pump would cost to replace if i had to pay?

Confirmed water pump failure. Should be ready tomorrow.

Being done under warranty.

Anyone know how much this would of cost if the car was out of warranty?

The pump is about £50 and is easy enough to get at and remove so labour shouldn't be excessive.

thanks davey.

Good to hear that it would not of been expensive to fix if out of warranty.

Sorry to hear that paul. With mine being peugeot, i'd imagine it would be even more.......Though £210 is higher than i thought it would be.

I'll ask tomorrow how much it would of cost me.

What was the part cost in the £210?

When ours was booked in the parts were about £50 - it will be interesting to see how much mark up Toyota put on the part.

Labour £79.50 (1 hour!)

Coolant £27.12

Pump assembly £66.53

Bolt, flange £0.75 x2

Bolt, flange £1.19

Bolt, flange £0.97 x2

VAT £31.11

Total £208.89

Expensive labour, and they've also gone for the coolant laced with platinum :o

What can you do, though, I want dealer servicing and you have to pay Toyota prices. Did take the new Prius for a spin while I was there, so not all bad :D

Paul.

Not bad on the part price - Eurocarparts charge about £80. As you say they make it up on the coolant and we all know about labour rates at main dealers.

I trust the brakes worked on the Prius :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links