Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grinding Noise

TCTSport

Hey Guys/Gals,

Firstly hello all, I'm new to this site.

I just bought a 54 plate T Sport (not sure if 04 or 05) as I've only had it a few days and not seen the log book yet.

Back to the topic.

I have noticed a grinding noise when at lower speeds, I think it happens at higher speeds also but just cant hear it. I say this because at first I thought it was the brakes slightly grinding as that's the kind of noise it is but then realised that every time I push in the clutch the noise disappears. Funnily enough I do actually think the brakes are grinding too which doesn't help; but there are definitely two distinctive noises which sound very similar.

I bought the car from a Toyota dealer last Wednesday and have been on holiday for a week so this is only the second day I have had the car. It has a 12 month warranty so I am booking it in tomorrow to get these things looked into, as well as MOT.

Obviously having the warranty is great but the toyota parts department have told me that if I put anything on the car that they do not list for this car then the warranty will be void. The only products they are offering is a dual pipe back box, and some 15" or 16" alloys - it came with factory fitted 17's. They are saying that even if I buy TTE items direct and Toyota fit them it will still void the warranty.

If you can offer any useful advice regarding any of the above I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Dunno about your noises but voiding your warranty by adding TTE parts is utter :censor: !!!

Toyota Team Europe parts are genuine Toyota items and are covered under Toyota GB's warranty!

I have the TTE Back box on mine and it too was covered under the 12 month warranty when i bought the car!

:thumbsup:

Hmm, sounds odd possibly describe the sound more, if the car is squeeking when driving at low speed or what kind of sound when pulling away. might be a long shot but make sure no calipers are seized, My slider bolts went had to get some new ones because it wouldnt open and close the caliper properly. Take it back to warrantyand TTE parts will not effect warranty. Argue with them if they say they do, TTE parts are optional extras for our car E.G. Opting for air conditioning or leather when buying a car brand new.

Hmm, sounds odd possibly describe the sound more, if the car is squeeking when driving at low speed or what kind of sound when pulling away. might be a long shot but make sure no calipers are seized, My slider bolts went had to get some new ones because it wouldnt open and close the caliper properly. Take it back to warrantyand TTE parts will not effect warranty. Argue with them if they say they do, TTE parts are optional extras for our car E.G. Opting for air conditioning or leather when buying a car brand new.

If the grinding goes away when you put the clutch in then you could havea gearbox problem somewhere, get ot back to the dealer and have it checked out

no idea about warranty

If the grinding noise is under engine braking then it's pretty well known.

It's either a gearbox or clutch issue.

Have a search for the previous posts. I'm not sure it's actually fixable.

Get them to check it out by all means, but it's probably nothing to worry about.

Thanks lads.

I know, they must be having a laugh re warranty.

They said even if I put on different alloys it voids the whole warranty. Will have to take this further up the chain

The noise happens all the time including acceleration, but as said completely goes when the clutch is in.

The noise sounds exactly the same as when I put on the breaks, which sound well worn. I just think this is a coincidence and they are two separate issues.

Hey Guys/Gals,

Firstly hello all, I'm new to this site.

I just bought a 54 plate T Sport (not sure if 04 or 05) as I've only had it a few days and not seen the log book yet.

Back to the topic.

I have noticed a grinding noise when at lower speeds, I think it happens at higher speeds also but just cant hear it. I say this because at first I thought it was the brakes slightly grinding as that's the kind of noise it is but then realised that every time I push in the clutch the noise disappears. Funnily enough I do actually think the brakes are grinding too which doesn't help; but there are definitely two distinctive noises which sound very similar.

I bought the car from a Toyota dealer last Wednesday and have been on holiday for a week so this is only the second day I have had the car. It has a 12 month warranty so I am booking it in tomorrow to get these things looked into, as well as MOT.

Obviously having the warranty is great but the toyota parts department have told me that if I put anything on the car that they do not list for this car then the warranty will be void. The only products they are offering is a dual pipe back box, and some 15" or 16" alloys - it came with factory fitted 17's. They are saying that even if I buy TTE items direct and Toyota fit them it will still void the warranty.

If you can offer any useful advice regarding any of the above I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

possible a realse bearing on the clutch has gone.

I picked up my 54 plate t sport 3 weeks ago, i noticed i had a whirling/grinding type noise, that dissapeared when the clutch was pressed, when the mechanic took the car out for a drive he was sure it sounded like some gearbox bearings, so anyway when he had a look at it, it turned out to be a loose/broken manifold bracket! It was done under the dealers warranty but i imagine it will of been easy and cheap enough to sort out, Hope yours is the same problem mate.

Re the warranty, the assumption in this thread is thats on a Toyota warranty, if its on a 3rd party scheme (via one of the many insurance companies who sell them) the small print could contain the "modification voids all" line. If this is the case i would ask why the dealer is selling a car and not putting it on the approved used scheme that will come with a Toyota backed warranty (probably because they are more expensive).

As you have only had it for a few days get the car back to dealer and take one of the mechanics for a drive and let them listen to the noises, then tell them to sort it :thumbsup:

Re the warranty, the assumption in this thread is thats on a Toyota warranty, if its on a 3rd party scheme (via one of the many insurance companies who sell them) the small print could contain the "modification voids all" line. If this is the case i would ask why the dealer is selling a car and not putting it on the approved used scheme that will come with a Toyota backed warranty (probably because they are more expensive).

As you have only had it for a few days get the car back to dealer and take one of the mechanics for a drive and let them listen to the noises, then tell them to sort it :thumbsup:

Yeah, one of the mechanics came for a drive and agreed on the noises, booked in for Friday.

I will double check now you've mentioned that re warranty but I believed it to be a Toyota warranty. Will speak to warranty people anyway to see what they say or even another garage.

not similar to yours i think, but i had a grinding noise on mine after channg the discs and pads all round. was coming from the NS/Rear wheel... turned out i had caught the dust cover and pulled it slightly nwards and was rubbing on the disc! oops :P

Well, I just picked the car up from Mr T and....

...apparently the noise I hear from the gearbox is "normal for a T Sport". The mechanic who has been at Toyota for a very long time suggests this noise also happens on Celica's. I said I understand but I would like to investigate further.

Thoughts on this please????

As far as the brakes are concerned he said they will skim front discs and lube pads all around.

Clutch pedal was squeaky also but has been sorted.

...apparently the noise I hear from the gearbox is "normal for a T Sport". The mechanic who has been at Toyota for a very long time suggests this noise also happens on Celica's. I said I understand but I would like to investigate further.

As far as the brakes are concerned he said they will skim front discs and lube pads all around.

That's how I understand it. Mine has the noise, I've never done anything about it though.

My mate bought one aswell which had it (more noticeable than mine), he had some pretty serious gearbox work done under warranty but it didn't cure it.

Might be worth checking exhaust manifold brackets 'cause I've heard of those causing similar issues.

Did they change the master cylinder for the clutch? If they just lubricated it then the noise will come back. To properly fix it, it needs the updated master cylinder.

That's how I understand it. Mine has the noise, I've never done anything about it though.

My mate bought one aswell which had it (more noticeable than mine), he had some pretty serious gearbox work done under warranty but it didn't cure it.

Might be worth checking exhaust manifold brackets 'cause I've heard of those causing similar issues.

Did they change the master cylinder for the clutch? If they just lubricated it then the noise will come back. To properly fix it, it needs the updated master cylinder.

Sorry...updated master cyclinder? Can you explain further please.

I have searched more on this site and roll-out bearing seems to be coming up quite alot. Although yes some noise is normal it seems it can get louder when worn in well...

Clutch master cylinders (the bit your pedal is connected to) squeak. The part was upgraded at some point (not sure when) so that it wouldn't squeak any more.

Okay, no I think they just lube the clutch... But if it comes back I will have that done

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links