Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Bumper Replacement

Unklian

Hi Folks.

Long story short......

Went to Bruges in wifey's Aygo. Drove into wooden post.

Post bent bumper inside-out back to the headlight.

Popped it back out and the bumper was still badly creased.

P1010735s-1.jpg

Filling wouldn't be very good or flexible so a new bumper and corner piece was ordered.

I took the other corner and tow-hook cover down for them to scan in the paint colour / mix.

Rang me next day, bumper is ready. (Just the bare bumper, everything needs to be swapped over).

So: Off with the old one

First job, remove the 2 little screws in the front wheel arches. Original ones are plastic

so I had replaced mine with stainless while inspecting for damage.

P1010736s.jpg

Tools needed for the swap are- 10mm socket, A Crosshead screwdriver, A couple of flat blade screwdrivers

for later and a lot of protection on the floor.

Oh yes, cigs. & coffee if you partake of them.

P1010738s.jpg

Under the front bumper, are 5 securing bolts. 2 at the ends and 3 across the bottom edge. Remove these.

P1010737s.jpg

These.

P1010742s.jpg

Open the bonnet, revealing 3 bolts and a plastic push-button doodah.

Lift the centre of the button using a pair of small screwdrivers then pull it out of its hole.

Remove the 3 bolts.

P1010739s.jpg

Note. to the left of these bolts, a plastic locating pin. This is all that is now holding the top of

the bumper in place. Remember these pins for later.

P1010740s.jpg

P1010741s.jpg

Now, the first scary bit.

Go back to the wheel arches and starting at the bottom edge, firmly tug

the bumper edges outwards until they unclip. 4 clips each side.

It helps if you can push the bumper rearwards at the same time, giving the clips more space to seperate.

P1010743s.jpg

Pull the very bottom of the bumper forwards a couple of inches at the edges so it releases from

the 2 black plastic clips. You may have to flex it outwards very slightly to clear the arch liners.

The whole bumper is now hanging off the top 2 pins. Lift it slightly and lower it gently to the ground.

Breathe a big sigh of relief. Have a cig and / or a cuppa.

Back to work. Starting at one end of the lower grille, Ease the clips back which hold the grille in place.

You have to push in a thin retaining piece of black plastic on some of the clips. Use a flat bladed screwdiver.

One at a time, push down black plastic. Ease back clip. Pull up black grille. It doesnt really try to clip back down.

You can see these better in the picture of the small grilles lower down.

P1010745s.jpg

Bit more difficult. The top grille. Start at the top edge. (Where it meets the bonnet).

These clips are removed by sliding a screwdiver down each side and rotating the black plastic retainer upwards.

Start at one edge and work your way to the other.

P1010747s.jpg

Then the clips on each side of the smaller grilles.

P1010748s.jpg

Eventually, All clips will be unclipped and the grill will come off.

The rear of the Toyota Badge is now revealed. This has 3 tiny retaining clips.

If you have got this far, you can see these work in a similar fashion but are tiny

and not very strong. Carefully remove the Badge.

Last job, the rubber strip thingy off the top of the bumper. squeeze the little tangs on the rear of

the 3 retaining pins and off it comes.

Admire your handywork.

P1010753s.jpg

Have another cig. / cuppa, take a breather.

Careful now, Brand new, oh so shiny new bumper. *slavers*

SIMPLY, put it all back together......Start with the bottom grille. This will help restore some rigidity to

the very soft flexible bumper. Make sure it is perfectly central then press all the clips back into place.

It is only possible to do this from one end. Make sure that after you start, you keep the grille central.

Refit the Toyota Badge and the rubber strip.

Now the difficult one. I had to try this several times before I found a way to get it back on.

Fitting the top grille:

See the picture below.

Using the clip in the centre of the Toyota logo, centralise the grille and push all the top edge clips back into place.

This is hard work, they are a very tight fit. Keep it central by constantly checking the

centre of the Toyota logo. (Red spot).

P1010756s.jpg

Refitting the clips for the 2 small grilles caused me problems until I examined MY Aygo. When they are in the correct place,

The 2 small black grilles protrude into the 2 holes in the front bumper. The oval round the Toyota badge is initially too wide

and stops them clipping in forward. To push the grilles forward, squeeze the oval sides towards each other.

(The 2 yellow dots) The grilles will suddenly drop into place quite easily.

Hard to describe.

Try to make the oval more "circular" by squeezing the two sides together.

Still Here? Nearly done.

Cig / Coffee......

Replacing the bumper.

Lift the bumper back onto the car and pop it onto the 2 black plasic pins I mentioned earlier. (Oh, thats what they're for)

Gently ease out the 2 bottom edges and slide the wing liners inside. Making sure the bumper is in the 2 black bottom corner clips.

Make sure everything is properly lined up and re-fit the three top bolts and the plastic push pin. (Push it in then

press in the central pin to spread it out).

Replace the 2 outer bottom bolts then the 3 inner bottom bolts.

You will have to bend the 3 inner clips backwards as they come from the factory in a different position.

(You'll see what I mean). All looking good?

Firmly tap the two edges back into place where they meet the wings.

Insert the 2 black pins and the 2 retaining screws.

Hopefully, You should end up with something like......

THIS.

P1010757s.jpg

Ian.

Great post! Hopefully I should never need it!

Great post! Hopefully I should never need it!

"POST" :censor:

post-36850-1247376389_thumb.jpg

That's what caused it all in the first place.

:D

Ian

• 9 years later...

So this is an old post i can see,
My headlight got smashed, so in order to fix that, i need to remove the bumper.
however the two screws in the wheel arches just keep spinning and dont come out.

was wondering if this was an issue you encountered?

or any advice?

4 hours ago, toebeans said:

So this is an old post i can see,
My headlight got smashed, so in order to fix that, i need to remove the bumper.
however the two screws in the wheel arches just keep spinning and dont come out.

was wondering if this was an issue you encountered?

or any advice?

Hi Toebeans...encountered that issue myself...rather than trying to unscrew it...get a thin blade flat screwdriver...pref those micro blade ones n pry the srew up first...sometimes they just pop out matey